corner corner Difficult Daughters

Difficult Daughters
by Manju Kapur | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 1/25/2010

status (set by sing-on-a-star): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 25, 2010

From the back:

"Set around the time of Partition and written with absorbing intelligence and sympathy, Difficult Daughters is the story of a woman torn between family duty, the desire for education, and illicit love. Virmati, a young woman born in Amritsar into an austere and high-minded household, falls in love with a neighbour, the Professor - a man who is already married. That the Professor eventually marries Virmati, installs her in his home (alongside his furious first wife) and helps her towards further studies in Lahore, is small consolation to her scandalized family. Or even to Virmati, who finds that the battle for her own independence has created irrevocable lines of partition and pain around her."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 01, 2012

I was surprised by the many positive reviews as I was rather disappointed in the book myself. But then I came across this one, which reflects my thoughts exactly:

I, too, found the narrative structure confusing and, particularly towards the end, as though the result of bad and/or non-existent editing. I couldn't find a lot of sympathy towards the characters, either, not even Virmati who just seems to drift along and seems to accept the Professor's horrendous behaviour towards herself rather too easily, despite being described as a strong and resourceful young woman. And the Professor himself is definitely too unpleasant and unappealing for the romantic part he's been cast in.

Next off to sing-on-a-star as part of ApoloniaX's Asian First Page VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Thanks for sharing this book with me. As soon as I received it I realised I'd already read it! (Blame it on "baby brain"). Still a book I would quite like to read again.