corner corner Untouchable (Classic, 20th-Century, Penguin)

Untouchable (Classic, 20th-Century, Penguin)
by Mulk Raj Anand | Literature & Fiction
Registered by froggirlwendy of Brisbane, Queensland Australia on 1/24/2010

status (set by crimson-tide): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, January 24, 2010

FROM THE BACK:

"It recalled to me vividly the occasions I have walked 'the wrong way' in an Indian city, and it is a way down which no novelist has yet taken me...' So wrote E.M. Forster in 1934, championing Mulk Raj Anand's finest and most controversial novel. Here Anand conveys precisely, with urgency and barely disguised fury, what it might be like to be one of India's Untouchables.

Bakha is a young man, a proud and even an attractive young man, but none the less he is an outcast in a system that is now only slowly changing and was then as cruel and debilitating as that of apartheid. Into this re-creatiopn of one day in the life of Bakha, sweeper and latrine-cleaner, Anand poured a vitality, fire and richness of detail that have caused him to be acclaimed as his country's Charles Dickens as well as this century's greatest revealer of the 'other' India."

Journal Entry 2 by dolphin-au at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Thanks Wendy, I had forgotten all about this book coming my way, so this was a very pleasant surprise. Looks like an intriguing book.

Journal Entry 3 by dolphin-au at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Though the subject matter is interesting as a literary experience this book was disappointing. The writing is very pedestrian and lecturing.

Journal Entry 4 by dolphin-au at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (1/15/2014 UTC) at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia

Sent to crimson-tide in the company of a couple of other 1001 books.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Arrived as one of a number of lovely "1001 book" RABCKs.
Thanks heaps, dolphin-au.