corner corner The Good Shopping Guide: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Brands

The Good Shopping Guide: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Brands
by Charlotte Mulvey | Reference
Registered by Lottiotta of Aberdovey, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, January 22, 2010

status (set by Lottiotta): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Lottiotta from Aberdovey, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, January 22, 2010

Edition 6, published 2007 - but not much has changed in the newer editions, it has a couple of new sections. It's very UK-centric, but lots of the brands are international.

This book is essential reading. Lots of us know about the baby milk scandal by Nestle in Africa, and more recently about the dubious manufacturing policies of Primark. In a democratic society, when we want to choose the methods and practices of our world, we vote. In the corporate world, when you want to tell businesses which methods you (dis)approve of, you vote with your choices and your wallet. The idea is that you have to buy something, say a vacuum cleaner or a pair of jeans or some pet food. You flick through this book to the right page, and see which brands are the most ethical. And then you can buy the most environmentally friendly, ethically responsible product and have peace of mind that you're not contributing to the arms dealings, animal testing, child labour and political donations.

It's really well laid-out, goes into detail about the ideas and ratings and has an easy-to-read summary in each section. I'm intending this as a "preview" - you can borrow this book for a month, see how you find it, and if you like it you can think about buying one second hand or getting the up-to-date Edition 8, published November 2008.

So, if you would like to be on the list, please send me a PM with details of your country, shipping preferences and any other preferences. And please read these guidelines first to make sure you agree with them and can follow them. Thank you!

• This is a bookring, which means I would like it to come back to me at the end. It will remain open, which means you can join at any time, unless I change my mind. ;)
  • Each participant should keep the book for no longer than 1 month. If your circumstances are unavoidable and you can't pass the book on, please leave a journal entry and/or send me a PM to explain. I won't be cross, I'd just like to be kept informed!
  • Please journal when you receive the book, when you're done with it and when you have posted it. When you've sent the book on, leave controlled release notes saying who you've posted it to and how long it's expected to take to get there.
  • If you lose the book or otherwise make it unreadable, please replace it, somehow. (It doesn't have to be a brand new copy.) If you are unable to post the book on due to surprising financial constraints, get in touch with me and I'll try to help you keep the book moving.
  • Saying that, as it's a reference book I'm happy for people to make notes in the margins and highlight bits that they feel people should pay particular attention to.
  • If there are people from a lot of different countries with different shipping preferences, I may jiggle the participant order around a bit. I will make invisible notes on all the preferences so that everyone is happy, though, and PM you if any issues come up.
  • And finally. I list my bookrings at The Bookring Directory, because I run it. :P

Thanks for reading these, I hope they'll help the ring run smoothly. They're guidelines, so they're flexible.

The List

1. okyrhoe, Greece, can post internationally
  2. Back to me, Lottiotta, UK.