corner corner Lucky Child: A Daughter of Cambodia Reunites with the Sister She Left Behind

Lucky Child: A Daughter of Cambodia Reunites with the Sister She Left Behind
by Loung Ung | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingbookstogivewing of Springville, Tennessee USA on 1/21/2010

status (set by Boekentrol): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Thursday, January 21, 2010

to be released soon into the wild

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, August 21, 2010

This book is heading out as a Bookring. Please keep the book no longer than 1 month and be sure to journal when you get the book and again when it ships to the next person.

Shipping order:

kiyoteefoxx-US~US Ship
Nancynova-US-Int Ship
klaradyn-South Africa~Int
snufkin81-South Africa~Int
salvami-Ireland~EU Ship

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookstogivewing at Littlestown, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, August 23, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (8/23/2010 UTC) at Littlestown, Pennsylvania USA

Released to the first in line for the Bookring, enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Got today - headed for the first up TBRs! Will j/e again when I start reading this one.

Journal Entry 5 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, October 07, 2010

Starting on the commute tomorrow.

Journal Entry 6 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Second book by this author. The story starts with the author's escape from war-torn Cambodia with her oldest brother & his wife, and alternates with chapters written about those same years by her sister, Chou, who was left behind to be raised by her aunt and uncle. The sisters were not reunited again for 15 years...until 1995. The title kept me thinking throughout the book. Of everyone in the family, which one is truly the "lucky child"? The author who was brought to a foreign country, customs, and was treated like an outsider for much of her life, losing or fighting against anything that seemed like home? Or the sister left behind, who had a very poor, hard-scrabble life materially, but stayed in the country she loved?
I had a hard time with, certainly the well meaning intentions of the church folks who were opening up America to sponser these refugees, but it really made me think a little differently about our US-centric ways. I'll be curious to see the opinions of others throughout the world, because America is not the only country dealing with immigrants and refugees

Journal Entry 7 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, October 12, 2010

PM'g next in line to make sure she's ready for it, since it's int'l.

Journal Entry 8 by wingNancyNovawing at Saldanha, Western Cape South Africa on Saturday, October 16, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (10/16/2010 UTC) at Saldanha, Western Cape South Africa

Being mailed out to the next reader today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by klaradyn at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Arrived today. Thanks for sending on, nancynova, and for sharing, svoight.

Journal Entry 10 by klaradyn at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, November 12, 2010

Finished the book last weekend. It feels unkind to criticise a memoir of this kind, but I didn't think this book wasn't particularly well-written (I felt the same about Ung's first book). Yes, it gives one insight into historical events that may not be very well known, and yes, it IS a very touching story. But the writing itself felt rambling and unstructured, and I think the book could have done with some more editing/manuscript development. Also, the dates at the beginning of chapters don't always correspond with the dates given in the photo captions. In my opinion things like that detract from a book.

Journal Entry 11 by klaradyn at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, November 12, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (11/15/2010 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

Snufkin81 and I have arranged to meet on Monday, and I will pass the book to her then.

My book #43 for the KTMC 2010.
My book #7 for the E-less challenge 2010.

Journal Entry 12 by snufkin81 at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Received this yesterday from Klaradyn. Thanks, it looks very interesting.

I have a few other rings before this one, but I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 13 by snufkin81 at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 02, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (4/2/2011 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to salvami by airmail. Sorry for keeping this so long!

Journal Entry 14 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Thursday, April 14, 2011

It arrived from South Africa :)
It looks interesting. I might need more time than a month to read & send it back to bookstogive (I'm short on cash now..) but will try to read as quickly as possible.

Thanks snufkin81 for sending this to me, and thanks bookstogive for including me to the ring!

Journal Entry 15 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (12/21/2011 UTC) at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland

I am glad that I read this book and I hope it will continue its journey and meet more readers :)

Had chance to post it today x
Now travelling to Austria. Enjoy and happy Christmas!

Journal Entry 16 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I arrived back home in Vienna today, and this book was waiting for me. Looks interesting, thanks a lot!

reserved for boekentrol when I have read it

Sorry to start my thoughts about this book with that one, but I can´t resist: (In college) "Back in my dorm room, I quickly glance at my calendar for the week. In between classes on the Old Testament and Luke, Matthew, and Paul, I have feminist theology, Hinduism, and witchcraft." What a mixture! Is this a joke? As teenagers when the US series started to invade our European lives, when we were struggling with our Latin, French, Physics, Chemistry and 100 other things and the series´characters had classes like "social studies" we were always joking about doing a major in pottery... well well...

I really liked this book, and I liked the description of both lives... although of course the first book had more new information for me. Nevertheless ok on how-everything-turned-out-after-the-first-book-ended.... This book is on someone´s wishlist who sent me two RABCK books, so it will be posted tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/11/2012 UTC) at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria

sent on

Journal Entry 18 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, February 17, 2012

Thank you very much, schwester, for sending this wishlist book to me. I was very surprised when I found this when I came home today.

Look forward to read this. I'm not sure if I need to read the first and second in order or not?

Thank you!