corner corner The Hindi-Bindi Club

The Hindi-Bindi Club
by Monica Pradhan | Women's Fiction
Registered by wingPiikuwing of Parainen, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 1/17/2010

status (set by hippolein): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingPiikuwing from Parainen, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, January 17, 2010

"For decades they have remained close, sharing recipes, customs and the challenges of women shaped by ancient ways yet living modern lives. The are the Hindi Bindi Club, a nickname given by their daughters to the mothers who left India to start anew in America... daughters now grown and facing struggles of their own."

Journal Entry 2 by wingPiikuwing at Parainen, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, July 29, 2011

Sending to Chania.

Journal Entry 3 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Saturday, August 06, 2011

Thanks so much! I think I'm gonna love this book and I also know who will get it next!

Journal Entry 4 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Friday, August 12, 2011

I loved this book - so delightful, but also with some serious issues. I do like most books to do about India and immigration and cultural differencies and when the story is as lovely as this one, it makes a book perfect one!

Sending to Annimanni next.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Received with warm thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Finally got around to reading about the Hindi-Bindi Club :) It was entertaining enough, but I must admit I was a bit disappointed with the whole. The dialogue felt fake, especially in the case of the younger generation, and I didn't appreciate Pradhan's school-teacherish way of trying to educate her readers about India and Indian culture. Very clumsy I thought. Nevertheless, decent summer holiday reading...

Journal Entry 7 by Silkki at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Picked this up at the bc meetup today. Not sure when I'll have time to read this, though.

Journal Entry 8 by Silkki at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I was at first a bit intimidated by the size of this book but actually it's written in a larger font size and line-spacing, so it didn't take that long to read it in the end.

The book was a pleasant surprise: much nicer than I expected, although I, too, was a bit put-off by the school-teacherish tone at times. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the story and the viewpoints of two different generations. The recipes also sounded delicious as I'm a big fan of Indian curries!

Journal Entry 9 by Silkki at Sokoksen kahvila, PKS-miitti in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (5/12/2015 UTC) at Sokoksen kahvila, PKS-miitti in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

The book is looking for a new reader in the Helsinki area bc meetup.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 10 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Came home for teddyke to read.