corner corner Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man
by Aleksandar Hemon | Literature & Fiction
Registered by redfox5 of Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 17, 2010

status (set by 1001-library): available

Journal Entry 1 by redfox5 from Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 17, 2010

This book was brought for ApoloniaX birthday :) The first person ever to send me a rabck which was 'Wuthering Heights'. I hope you have a wonderful day! Happy birthday!

P.s. Sorry there is no booklabel, I ran out. :(

Journal Entry 2 by redfox5 at By Mail, Birthday present -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/18/2010 UTC) at By Mail, Birthday present -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy your gift and have a great birthday :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A wishlist 1001 book! Wonderful! Thank you so much, beautifulhooker!
And thanks for the two other wishlist books, too!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Friday, February 12, 2010

Just finished this great 1001-book - which has got a label in the meantime ;-)
Great language and a change of perspective in each chapter: a new voice that describes Jozef Pronek's life with detailed accuracy and in a different style. It's a tale of migration, of war (in Bosnia), of cultural identity, full of subtle ironies, the difficulties of finding your way in another culture, and the longing for a place to belong to. Recommendable!

There was a review in The Guardian that captures the book very well.

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Friday, February 12, 2010

International Bookray
- shovelmonkey1, UK, ship int'l
- cat207, Australia, ship Aus if possible
- Dancesports, Australia, pref ship Aus, int'l if necessary
- davemurray101, Australia, ship int'l
- last person: please donate it to the 1001-library (this might include international shipping)

The usual:
- Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
- When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
- Please try to finish it within six weeks
- When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
- Make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
- Make release notes to let everyone know that it's in the mail
- Send the book to the next person on the list
If delayed make sure to let us know so that the ray will not stop.

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at To First Participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 15, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/16/2010 UTC) at To First Participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to Tubereader.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, March 08, 2010

The book was waiting for me upon my return of a short holiday followed by a business trip.

Thanks ApoloniaX for sharing (and for asking me if I wanted to join this ray!), this goes to the top of my TBR!

14th MARCH UPDATE: Quick note to let everybody know that I have started reading this book today.

15th MARCH UPDATE: Just to let everybody know that I have read more than half of this book so I have PMed Annimanni for their address so that I can post the book as soon as I am finished.

Journal Entry 8 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, March 21, 2010

I have enjoyed this book, did not understand too much how the last chapter fit into it, but the rest of it was really good. I like reading stories of emigrants as I have been one for the last 6 years now. How people cope with it, what kind of difficulties they find... Of course, in this book there is much more than that: first it's the story of a life, secondly, there's also the background of the war in ex-Yugoslavia (which I think is covered with a lot of sensitivity).

I can only say thanks to Apoloniax for adding me to this ray. I have Annimanni's address so will post the book as soon as I can get into the post office.

Journal Entry 9 by Tubereader at Luxembourg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg on Monday, March 29, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/27/2010 UTC) at Luxembourg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg

The book was posted to Annimanni on Saturday along with another ray that was heading her way too.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Received with thanks :) This book is #2 in my tbr pile.

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I agree with previous reviewers: the language is absolutely beautiful and engaging. I almost forgot the actual story (if there is one) as I was concentrating so heavily on the language and writing. I suppose that is why my mind tended to wander while reading and I wish I had time to re-read the book to really appreciate its other facets.

The book is off to the next reader tomorrow. Thanks for including me!

NB! I'm terribly sorry for the slightly curly pages. My one-year-old managed to spill some water on the book (he's an avid reader too!).

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/14/2010 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 13 by wingabigailannwing from Abingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 16, 2010

Just received. Thanks for the snowey postcard :)

Will get to this book as soon as a can. I have another ring to read first, but will read it straight after

Journal Entry 14 by wingabigailannwing from Abingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 15, 2010

STATUS UPDATE:

Sorry for taking so long getting to this one. It's been a busy month for me and several library books that had to be returned got in the way. I'm just starting to read it now.

Journal Entry 15 by wingabigailannwing from Abingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 17, 2010

I felt that this book should have been fantastic, but I just didn't get it. Sometimes I was confused by which character's POV was being taken and I felt that I didn't have enough background about the characters to help me. I wonder if having read 'The Question of Bruno' first would have helped me with this. As it was I was able to appreciate the interesting language and the different approach of the author, but it didn't really work for me. I hope the next reader enjoys it more.

Sending PM to lucu-lemon now, will send on as soon as I have the address

Journal Entry 16 by wingabigailannwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (5/19/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent on. Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 17 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 21, 2010

Arrived this morning. Really looking forward to reading this one!

Journal Entry 18 by lucy-lemon at Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 01, 2010

I actually finished this book a while ago, but have been unable to make a journal entry as the site is so messed up (I'm not a happy bunny about this!)

I enjoyed the book - shockingly, I'd never heard of Aleksandar Hemon before reading this novel - but I thought a lot of it was probably going right over my head. But as long as it's enjoyable, right?

Anyway, thank you for sharing, and I hope to send this to the next person sometime in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 19 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Received today in the post - thanks for sending this on to me! I will read and release soon.

Journal Entry 20 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Started reading today...

Journal Entry 21 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Thursday, June 17, 2010

Finished reading this today and overall thought it was pretty impressive, especially as Hemon was writing in a second language (one that he had only learned 3 years previously too). I liked the first two chapters the best as I found the voices of those characters most engaging.

Journal Entry 22 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Thursday, June 17, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (6/17/2010 UTC) at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

This book is now continuing on its journey to cat207 in Australia.

Journal Entry 23 by cat207 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Arrived in today's mail. Thank you shovelmonkey1, and ApoloniaX for sharing your book.

Journal Entry 24 by cat207 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, September 18, 2010

Beautiful writing, but I too am lost as to the relevance of the last chapter.

Waiting for an address for Dancesports.

Journal Entry 25 by cat207 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, September 19, 2010

Heading off in tomorrow's mail to Dancesports in Tasmania.

Journal Entry 26 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Thursday, September 23, 2010

Book has arrived - just when I thought I might get my pile of bookrings and rays down to 0 - I'm back up to 5. I am looking forward to reading this one and it won't be too long.

Journal Entry 27 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Thursday, November 04, 2010

I finished this one a couple of weeks agao and forgot to make my journal entry - I enjoyed the beginning of the book more than the middle and the end, I struggled with the ending. Also there was a little accident with the book when I was getting ready to read in the bath - the book fell in the bath - so it is a little worse for wear and I am looking for a replacement to send on to the next person.

Journal Entry 28 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Saturday, May 28, 2011

Yeah - you'll be pleased to know the replacement book has arrived. Sending on to the next person on Monday.

Journal Entry 29 by Dancesports at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 30, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (5/29/2011 UTC) at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Finally on its way again - this version has a different cover than the one that went for a swim.

Journal Entry 30 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Friday, June 03, 2011

received in the post today from dancesports. Reading soon and placing in the 1001-library.

Journal Entry 31 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Friday, June 10, 2011

A fantastic book. Bosnia is such an interesting place. (in fact I have Bridge over the Drina in the 1001 library if anyone wants it). Like cat207 I was wondering about the last chapter, and I was thinking could it be a reference to the wandering Jew? Donating to the 1001 library shortly with a number of other books.

Journal Entry 32 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, June 14, 2011

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing davemurray101 :)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.