corner corner The Book of Air and Shadows

The Book of Air and Shadows
by Michael Gruber | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 1/15/2010

status (set by Cross-patch): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, January 15, 2010

Synopsis:
"A clever, pacey thriller set around the search for a lost Shakespearean play. Tap-tapping the keys and out come the words on this little screen, and who will read them I hardly know. I could be dead by the time anyone actually gets to read them, as dead as, say, Tolstoy. Or Shakespeare. Does it matter, when you read, if the person who wrote still lives? These are the words of Jake Mishkin, whose seemingly innocent job as an intellectual property lawyer has put him at the centre of a deadly conspiracy and hunt to find a priceless treasure connected to William Shakespeare. As he awaits a killer-or killers-unknown, Jake writes an account of the events that led to this deadly endgame, a frantic chase that began when a fire in an antiquarian bookstore revealed the hiding place of letters containing a shocking secret, concealed for four hundred years. In a frantic race from New York to England and Switzerland, Jake finds himself matching wits with a shadowy figure who seems to anticipate his every move. What at first seems like a thrilling puzzle waiting to be deciphered soon turns into a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse, where no one -- not family, not friends, not lovers -- is to be trusted."

Moving between twenty-first-century America and seventeenth-century England, 'The Book of Air and Shadows'is a modern thriller that brilliantly re-creates William Shakespeare's life at the turn of the seventeenth century and combines an ingenious and intricately layered plot with a devastating portrait of a contemporary man on the brink of self-discovery ...or self-destruction.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Monday, January 18, 2010

I bought this book for a BC'er who has it on his / her wishlist.

After reading the synopsis though, I decided I would also like to read / have it myself. But, I couldn't undo the plan I made, so I'll add it to my wishlist :-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Monday, January 18, 2010

This book will start its travel to ... tomorrow. Dear receiver, I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed picking it for you :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Monday, January 18, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/19/2010 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

No comments to make, except that I hope the receiver likes the book!

Journal Entry 5 by wingReleannawing from Wien Bezirk 23 - Liesing, Wien Austria on Monday, January 25, 2010

thank you so much for this wonderful early birthday present :)
and the lovely card and the most cool 3-D bookmark/ruler

you make me very happy on this dreary Monday :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingReleannawing from Wien Bezirk 23 - Liesing, Wien Austria on Sunday, January 31, 2010

a truly fascinating book! So many layers - suspense, mystery, psychology, a deep insight in the characters. And so many plot-twists - it often happens that you think you know what really has happened and then it didn't....

Journal Entry 7 by wingReleannawing at Intl. Sweepstake RABCK January 2011, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/19/2011 UTC) at Intl. Sweepstake RABCK January 2011, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases

Congratulations!

Journal Entry 8 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, January 27, 2011

How exciting! Another wishlist book. After reaing your comments I am even more eager to start reading this one! Thank you very much for the book and the cookies. (Yum!) Hugs 'nd kissed!

Journal Entry 9 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, October 21, 2011

I'm afraid that this book was a bit of a disappointement to me. Even though 'on paper' it seemed to hold all of my favourite things to read about. Shakespeare, an old mysterious manuscript, the treasure hunt, the different characters and different stories that all came together in the end. But there were many things that bugged me about this book. This book could have been much better if it had been about half its current size. I don't mind large books if they have something to say, but most of the rambling seemed to be a character sketch of Jake Mishkin. And after a while you really get tired of his ramblings about how deprived he really is and how many women he slept with.
The other main character Crosetti is also not entirely likeable. With his constant talk about the movies ... He makes you feel like you've seen this book before in movie form, but were to stupid to remember it. (The way he constantly keeps predicting what is going to happen, because it's all happened before in the movies.)I did like the ending however and wished that the entire book had the speed and the momentum of the last chapters, but sadly it doesn't. I really thought this would be my kind of book, but it turned out completely different.

Journal Entry 10 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (10/22/2011 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

This book is on its way to cross-patch who had it on her wishlist. I hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 11 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 27, 2011

What a lovely surprise :o)) I'm wondering whether I'll agree or disagree with your comments.