corner corner Life of Pi - Join this Bookray (Aus/NZ only)

Life of Pi - Join this Bookray (Aus/NZ only)
by Yann Martel | Literature & Fiction
Registered by fushmush of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 7/18/2003

status (set by tata-4): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, July 18, 2003

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 2 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 19, 2003

I've just started reading this novel. I've heard really good things about it and it seems to be a book a lot of people want to read. I'm contemplating making it a bookray. I've never organised one before, only participated. I'll keep you posted.

Journal Entry 3 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 19, 2003

Ok! I'm going to make this an Australia/New Zealand bookray. It could eventually be turned into an international bookray but we'll keep it down under for the moment. If you'd like to join please PM me and I'll add you to the list.

FuShMuSh - Sydney, Aus
Sabavana - Rydalmere, NSW, Aus
Gennie - Sydney, NSW, Aus
BHD - Sydney, NSW, Aus

Instructions:
1. Sign up for this BookRay by sending me a Private Message. New members will be added to the end of the list.
2. When the person above you on the list finishes the book, they will send you a Private Message to ask for your mailing address. If you are too busy to read the book in the next few weeks, let me know and I will move you down the list.
3. Make a journal entry when you receive the book to let us know you got it.
4. When you finish the book, make another journal entry telling us what you thought.
5. Send a Private Message to the person after you on the bookray list and request their mailing address. If the person doesn't answer within 7 days, please PM the one after, and then me.
6. Send the book on its way.

Journal Entry 4 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, August 03, 2003

It started a little slow but I was hooked by the end. An unbelievable book! I enjoyed it immensely.

Reviews on Amazon

It's on its way to Noodlebowl.

Journal Entry 5 by noodlebowl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Got this from FushMush yesterday, haven't started yet but am looking forward to reading it. Have heard only good things.

Journal Entry 6 by kuju from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Received last night from Noodlebowl. I've heard some good things about this book so I can't wait to start reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by kuju from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, September 20, 2003

A fantastic novel. The ending really gets you thinking. I shall be sending it to Luckaye on Monday.

Journal Entry 8 by luckaye from Logan City, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Arrived yesterday and I started last night. Seems like an interesting book so far.
Update: What an extraordinary book! I really enjoyed it - the style beguiled me and kept me turning the pages to find what would happen next.

Journal Entry 9 by luckaye at Kingston PO in Kingston, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Release planned for Thursday, October 09, 2003 at Kingston PO in Kingston, Queensland Australia.

On its way to Puppymummy in the morning!

Journal Entry 10 by puppymummy from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Arrived safely in Melbourne. Looks terrific!

Journal Entry 11 by puppymummy from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, October 29, 2003

This book was terrific - I really got into the story and had trouble putting it down. I loved all of the zoo information, and the way he described joining three religions at once as commonplace.
I am wishing though that I hadn't read the final section. I found this bit a little distasteful - I would have preferred to live with the more enjoyable story and not have worried about the final explanation. However, I also can't ever see myself not finishing a book properly, so it was always going to happen. Hopefully in a week or so the yucky bit will be wiped from my memory and all I will recall is the journey.
Overall, I really recommend this book, it was a wonderful tale.

Journal Entry 12 by puppymummy at Postal Release in Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Released on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 at Postal Release in Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

On the way to New Zealand...

Journal Entry 13 by tropikiwi from Alice Springs, Northern Territory Australia on Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Arrived today thanks.

Journal Entry 14 by tropikiwi from Alice Springs, Northern Territory Australia on Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Wow what a great story!
I didn’t know anything about the book until I heard about it through bookcrossing.
So glad that I read it, the story is wonderful and very informative on subjects like zoology.
Must admit that I was very grossed out by some of the graphic descriptions of killing etc.
The concept of the two different stories was brilliant.
Really makes you think.
But it didn’t as the back cover said make me believe in god.

Journal Entry 15 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, November 21, 2003

Arrived safely in Christchurch this morning.

^ ^
=+=

Journal Entry 16 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, December 02, 2003

What a wonderfully strange and complex book! I loved the "post-modern" way it recognised its own metaphors but didn't go so far as to explain them. I kept forgetting the author wasn't actually Indian, because he captured the feel of the country so well in the opening chapters, and because of the magic realism style which I always associate with authors like Salman Rushdie (but I think Martel is a better writer than Rushdie!)

It didn't make me beleive in God either.

^ ^
=+=

Journal Entry 17 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, December 07, 2003

Got this in the mail this morning (8/12/03) from FutureCat, wrapped in a nicely decorated envelope. :) Thank you for sending it
Also thanks to fushmush for letting me sqeeze in the line a bit.
I will start reading it today and get it off to boreal ASAP.

Journal Entry 18 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, December 11, 2003

I loved reading this book.
The metaphors used throught out the book were wonderful. I liked the descriptions of such things as the animals at the zoo being compared with hotel guests; of Pi's surrondings while on the lifeboat; and his time on the island.
The book didn't make me believe in God but it did make me think of zoo animals in a new light.
And now of course I have some tips on how to survive in a lifeboat for a long time. :)

Journal Entry 19 by rarsberry at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Thursday, December 11, 2003

Release planned for Friday, December 12, 2003 at Controlled Release in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand.

Gave it to boreal before starting on our releasing expedition on Friday afternoon.

Journal Entry 20 by boreal from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Friday, December 12, 2003

Rarsberry gave this to me this afternoon before we went on our releasing expedition. In fact she hadn't quite finished it when we met up, so she sat and read the last few pages before handing it over.
I will start reading it straight away.

Journal Entry 21 by boreal from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Saturday, December 20, 2003

I didn’t really know what to expect when I started reading this book, all I knew is that it was popular and that it was about a boy shipwrecked with some zoo animals. I now understand why so many people have raved over it. The beginning was somewhat slow for me too, but the theology you learn about becomes very important in the last stages of the book. I think it is a book that you can read on several levels, but the ending certainly gets you thinking however you have read it. A wonderful book and while I am waiting for Jayda to send her address, I am getting my husband to read it so I can discuss it with him.
I intend to buy myself a copy so I can re-read it at leisure.
Thanks Fushmush for sharing it with us.
Update -no contact from Jayda as yet, so am sending it on to Snootchy instead.

Journal Entry 22 by boreal at n/a in n/a, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Release planned for Wednesday, December 24, 2003 at n/a in n/a, Controlled Releases.

On its way back to Australia, to Snootchy in Queensland.

Journal Entry 23 by snootchy from Mackay, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, January 14, 2004

I recieved this on Monday and have just started it, sorry to take so long to let everyone know it arrived but my puter has been hiccuping severely. boo hoo. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 24 by snootchy from Mackay, Queensland Australia on Thursday, February 05, 2004

I loved the descriptions in this book but not real sure if I enjoyed it...... found myself plowing through parts and really dragging in others. I guess when a book gets so much hype 9/10 times I am disappointed in it. Maybe to great an expectation?? Anyway I am glad I read it and will buzz Fern who is next on the list. :)

Journal Entry 25 by Ferns from Gold Coast, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Will be sending the book on later this week. Really enjoyed the book and the writing until halfway through the book. My interest sank when the ship did. Or really when the poor zebra.......

Journal Entry 26 by Ferns from Gold Coast, Queensland Australia on Thursday, March 18, 2004

Life of Pi is on its way to Crimson-tide in Western Australia.

Journal Entry 27 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, March 29, 2004

Received in the mail today from Ferns. Looking forward to reading it and will post again when finished. Thanks.

Journal Entry 28 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, April 29, 2004

I enjoyed this book very much indeed. Thought it was imaginative and very well written, and I especially enjoyed the descriptions of the animals and the bits about animal psychology.
The section where he was in the lifeboat and how he went about surviving the ordeal was for me the most interesting; once he got to the island the magical realism became just a bit too magical and didn't seem to hang together as well. Yes it was graphic, but the way it was written didn't make it horrifying in any way for me.
As for the end section - well I'm actually still thinking about that and my interpretation of it and reaction to it.

Now in the post and off to Scism in Adelaide.
Thanks for the opportunity to read this one fushmush.

Journal Entry 29 by Scism from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Thursday, May 06, 2004

I received this in the mail today, after a week or so of eager anticipation! It has arrived at the perfect time, because I have tomorrow off and a relaxing weekend ahead of me, so I'm hoping to get right into over the next few days.

I plan to read it over the next few weeks, and have it ready to send on by the end of May. Thanks for including me fushmush!

Journal Entry 30 by Scism from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Friday, May 14, 2004

Just finished reading this about five minutes ago. Wow - what a journey! Just reading this book was an adventure. It was much deeper than I expected, and the ending more shocking.

What I liked most: what the book has to say about story telling and the powerful role it plays in our lives.

What I liked least: the very trendy "all religions are different aspects of the same thing" storyline.

As to the 'make you believe in God' question... well, I already do, but this book didn't contribute anything further to my understanding of who God is. To be honest, I would be surprised if this book made anyone who didn't previously believe in the existence of God suddenly that that on board.

This is one of those books that I will dwell over considerably. I think I will also re-read it some time in the future, to see if I can dig even deeper into its meanings.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us fushmush! It strikes me as both a book that is great for sharing, and a book that is destined to travel - great choice for a Bookray!

Journal Entry 31 by Scism from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Saturday, May 22, 2004

Got a bit caught up with life-outside-bookcrossing this week! I've posted this book off to crystalclear today - sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 32 by crystalclear from Shellharbour, New South Wales Australia on Monday, June 14, 2004

I recieved this book last week but only just had the chance of registering it.
Looking forward to reading it but it will be a couple of books down on the list and as soon as I have finished will let you know.

Journal Entry 33 by crystalclear from Shellharbour, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Enjoyed the book thanks for letting me read it.
Have sent to Ashwalker in New Zealand.

Journal Entry 34 by ashwalker from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, February 10, 2005

Took a while to get here, and as soon as I finish the book I am on, will begin. Looks good.

Journal Entry 35 by ashwalker from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, March 07, 2005

This is a good story.
While it does not live up to the claim "This book will make you belive in God", it was entertaining and easy to read.
Recommended.

Journal Entry 36 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Saturday, March 12, 2005

I have been looking forward to reading this book, so will read asap , after I finish the sooterkin! Will be interesting to see if I agree with other opinions of this book.

Journal Entry 37 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I really enjoyed this, but it didn't make any religious effect on me at all, more luck and fate then religion! Will be posting to dolphin asap! Thanks for sharing!

Sent on to Dolphinau on the 7/4

Journal Entry 38 by dolphin-au from Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Found this book in the PO Box after returning from a camping trip. I have been looking forward to this book and will read it asap.

Journal Entry 39 by dolphin-au from Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I really struggled through the first 1/3 of the book. I thought the ideas expressed about the different religions were quite shallow and irrelevant. I started to enjoy the book more from the moment of the shipwreck and the twist at the end saved the book for me. The author nearly lost me at the island. I still fail to see what all that was about.

Journal Entry 40 by Carlynlee from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Friday, May 20, 2005

Yay! Arrived safe and sound this morning.

Journal Entry 41 by Carlynlee from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, October 20, 2005

Finished - yay!

I loved this book...in the end! The first half was really tough going and I almost gave up – lucky for me I didn’t. The story as a whole was just beautiful!

Will forward to Sheoak asap.

Journal Entry 42 by sheoak from Beaconsfield, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Got this the day before yesterday thankyou Carlynlee. Started reading straight away as I was ripe and ready for a new read. Have been spoilt lately for "quick thrillers" so it was a little tough to slow down enough for the first half but I enjoyed it all the same. Now into the exciting bit & enjoying it very much, what an adventure!

Journal Entry 43 by sheoak from Beaconsfield, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, February 12, 2006

I found the book riveting but it didn't change my view of God. The ending was a little uncomfortable but I liked that, I just thought it fitted in with Pi's humurous outlook on life. Thanks for sharing fushmush.

Journal Entry 44 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, February 19, 2006

Just received this in the mail from sheoak today. A little while ago I asked to be taken off this bookring (too many books!), but at the time of sheoak contacting me I was still on the list and just finished my tbr pile so figured why not accept this book. Looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 45 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Friday, February 24, 2006

I didn't like this book as much as everyone else did. I found it to drag on and be a bit repetitive, had a hard time keeping my attention. I almost gave up half way through, but was determined to get to the end. I am assuming "I just didn't get it"?? I'm glad I read it though to see what all the hype was about. Posting to Blackkeybash on Monday.

Journal Entry 46 by Blackkeybash from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, February 27, 2006

I just received the book today from michyj. I'll start reading tonight. From the other comments here, I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 47 by Blackkeybash at Controlled Release in Mackay, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (3/28/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in Mackay, Queensland Australia

I ended up enjoying this book a great deal.

I liked the way the narrative was framed as an interesting story that the novelist stumbled across himself; it was as if we were given a chance to share with him the experience of coming across such a remarkable story.

I have to say, though, that the story didn't do anything to change my mind one way or the other about the existence of God. There were also some slow bits, where the book seemed to drag a little. All in all, though, I definitely enjoyed this book. Thanks, fushmush, for sharing this book with us!

I've sent the book off to felicia-fairy, today; she should be receiving it soon.

Journal Entry 48 by emmafiles from North Lakes, Queensland Australia on Thursday, March 30, 2006

Thanks - received safe and sound!

Will get to it fairly soon, I hope......

Journal Entry 49 by emmafiles from North Lakes, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Well, I know I'm busy when it takes me a month to read a book - and a book I'm enjoying at that!

I must admit the carnivorous algae was all too much for me at 7am on a plane from Mackay to Adelaide this week, but I loved the characters and the animals and descriptions of religion, the metaphors, the descriptions and the survival knowledge.

A lovely book, glad I signed up for this ring all those years ago!

Thanks fushy! Will contact the next person......

Journal Entry 50 by BrisKJJ from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, May 05, 2006

Received today - thanks Felicia-fairy. Looking forward to reading this one - I've heard good things about it!

Journal Entry 51 by BrisKJJ from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, August 31, 2006

I enjoyed this book, just not quite as much as I expected to, given all the hype and recommendations I'd received. A good read nonetheless!

Sabavana has already read it, and Gennie and BHD weren't contactable, so I have the perfect themed release location in mind!

Journal Entry 52 by BrisKJJ from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, August 31, 2006

Since Pi = 3.14, I'm going to release this book at QUT's School of Mathematical Sciences, Room O314 (Level 3, O Block, Gardens Point Campus)! :-)

If you have found this book, please add a journal entry here so we can track its travels - you can remain anonymous if you don't want to join the BookCrossing site. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 53 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, August 06, 2010

What was more interesting than the book itself was the book's journey. I found it in my university, and thought some-one forgot their read, I opened it and read the journey the book was on and once i finish reading it, I'll be bidding it a farewell on its forward journey. will keep you all posted on the latest.

Thumbs Up to Library Sans Frontiers.

Tata-4
6-aug-2010

Journal Entry 54 by tata-4 at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, August 06, 2010

haha, i wrote a review and then signed up!! so Mr. Anon with the Life Of Pi, for the moment is me!

Tata-4