corner corner Pirate Latitudes

Pirate Latitudes
by Michael Crichton | Literature & Fiction
Registered by bekoh of Fern Bay, New South Wales Australia on 1/4/2010

status (set by luckaye): available

Journal Entry 1 by bekoh from Fern Bay, New South Wales Australia on Monday, January 04, 2010

Amazon.co.uk Review
For many years, Michael Crichton's name was a byword for intelligent, cutting edge fiction, frequently utilising striking new developments in science as the basis of his narratives, or (most famously in Jurassic Park) extrapolating scientific possibilities into highly exciting (if implausible) tales of adventure. After his recent death (at a relatively young age), it was salutary to remember that his writing career had been a very long one -- so that when he took a concept that he might have used before (i.e., high tech amusement park goes disastrously wrong with fatal consequences for visitors) he could ensure that there was a lengthy gap so that people barely noticed (look at the plots of Westworld (1973) and the aforementioned Jurassic Park). And now we have his final book, published posthumously, Pirate Latitudes. For once, though, it looks as if Crichton were following the pack rather than leading it -- but things are not that clear cut as they might initially have seemed.

Pirate Latitudes takes the reader back to 1665, when Charles II’s Jamaican colony is under serious threat, besieged on every side by the voracious Spanish empire. At the centre of this troubled outpost is its crowded capital, Port Royal, a lively (if festering) hangout for criminal dregs, who inhabit its taverns and brothels. This is the time of the privateer, when (with tacit royal sanction), ship's captains could make sorties against Spanish ships and outposts, plundering at will -- just so long as the Governor and King Charles are taken care of. Michael Crichton's protagonist in this colourful mix is Captain Charles Hunter, educated at Harvard and a man with keenly developed survival instincts. He is made aware a treasure galleon, which is at anchor in the heavily fortified Spanish island of Matanceros, and Hunter’s interest is piqued -- not least because this means he will be able to take on Philip of Spain's most ruthless enforcer, Cazalla. The stage is set for what will either be a glorious bit of naval smash-and-grab or that will end in the ignominious death of Charles Hunter and his motley crew.

Journal Entry 2 by bekoh from Fern Bay, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, January 17, 2010

An enjoyable read but not, I suspect, his better work. I found the ending to be quite abrupt, as if it was only draft wriiten and the author never came back to finish it properly.

Journal Entry 3 by bekoh at Aussie Post, OZ VBB -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 24, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/24/2010 UTC) at Aussie Post, OZ VBB -- Controlled Releases

Posted to jennymidget as part of OzVBB round 19

Journal Entry 4 by jennymidget at Bellbowrie, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thanks so much bekoh - this one's been on my wishlist for months, I've been looking for it everywhere! And so nice to have it in paperback!

Journal Entry 5 by jennymidget at Bellbowrie, Queensland Australia on Friday, September 03, 2010

I agree - terribly exciting but very unpolished. I reckon he finished this one in a hurry and had hoped to do more with Charles Hunter and crew - would have been nice! But we're lucky to have this final posthumous novel, an absolute must for the pirate-mad.

Off to RockDg9 via BookObsessed.com

Journal Entry 6 by RockDg9 at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Cool. Thanks JennyMidget.

Journal Entry 7 by RockDg9 at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This is Michael Crichton's last novel, published after his death when it was located in his files. I don't think it should have been published as it is, it reads like a rough first draft. Sure there's pirates, monsters, sex, witch-craft and cannibals, but it doesn't feel like the quality we're used to getting from Crichton. I thought I was reading Reilly at times - a good story in there, just without finesse.

Journal Entry 8 by RockDg9 at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/10/2012 UTC) at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia

posting to luckaye

Journal Entry 9 by luckaye at Logan City, Queensland Australia on Friday, January 13, 2012

Arrived today - thanks!