corner corner Hattie Big Sky

Hattie Big Sky
by Kirby Larson | Children's Books
Registered by raralovestoread of Ponchatoula, Louisiana USA on 12/27/2009

status (set by hyphen8): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by raralovestoread from Ponchatoula, Louisiana USA on Sunday, December 27, 2009

From the back cover:
For most of her life, sixteen-year-old Hattie Brooks has been shuttled from one distant relative to another. Tired of being Hattie Here-and-There, she summons the courage to leave Iowa and move all by herself to Vida, Montana, to prove up on her late uncle's homestead claim. "At least now my letters will be more interesting," she writes to her good friend Charlie, who is fighting the Kaiser in France.

Under the big sky, Hattie braves hard weather, hard times, a cantankerous cow, and her own hopeless hand at the cookstove. Her quest to make a home is championed by new neighbors Perilee Mueller, her German husband, and their children. For the first time in her life, Hattie feels part of a family, finding the strength to stand up against Traft Martin's schemes to buy her out and against increasing pressure to be a "loyal" American at a time when anything - or anyone - German is suspect. Despite daily trials, Hattie continues to work her uncle's claim until an unforeseen tragedy causes her to search her soul for the real meaning of home.

Journal Entry 2 by raralovestoread from Ponchatoula, Louisiana USA on Sunday, December 27, 2009

I absolutely loved this book! I enjoy reading about this time period in U.S. history. Parts of the story reminded me of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books, which I have adored since I was a child.

*This is a 2007 Newbery Honor book.

Journal Entry 3 by raralovestoread at Ponchatoula, Louisiana USA on Thursday, May 27, 2010

I sent this book to Tennessee via svoight's If You Love Them Set Them Free bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, June 01, 2010

This book came home in the If You Love Them Bookbox, thanks for including it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookstogivewing at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (6/1/2011 UTC) at Cambridge, Ontario Canada

Released to the winner of my May 23 Rabck Draw, enjoy!

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader.

The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels around from reader to reader.

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. If you choose to join please consider using meBOOKSTOGIVE
as your referring member. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

Journal Entry 6 by mumtotwo at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 25, 2011

I received this from bookstogive as part of her birthday RABCK.

Journal Entry 7 by mumtotwo at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 26, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (8/25/2011 UTC) at Cambridge, Ontario Canada

I placed this in the Cross Canada Bookbox hosted by Mathgirl40, AwesomeAud and sharpquilter.

Journal Entry 8 by froggie66 at Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 27, 2011

This stopped by in the Cross Canada book box. Not sure if taking it out. Will be checking first with my BC friend working her way through the Newberry Award List. Not sure if she has read this one yet.

Journal Entry 9 by froggie66 at Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 10, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/7/2012 UTC) at Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Mailed to Hyphen8 as promised from the Cross Canada Book Box. Enjoy another to cross off your list.

Journal Entry 10 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, August 03, 2012

This Newbery Honor book arrived today from Canada with a bunch of goodies. Thank you very much!

(Larger photo here.)

Journal Entry 11 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

I enjoyed reading about Hattie's adventures in Montana, and the fact that her story was based on the author's family history made it even better.

On the other hand, the way people were pressured to demonstrate their loyalty by purchasing bonds, etc., they couldn't actually afford was pretty scary, and I found the persecution suffered by the German-American residents upsetting.

This is book 20/59 for NancyNova's 2013-2014 US states & territories reading challenge

Journal Entry 12 by winghyphen8wing at Ward Centre (details in notes) in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (7/2/2013 UTC) at Ward Centre (details in notes) in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Released for Secretariat's 2013 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover Challenge (week 26).

(Larger photo here.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thanks for finding this book!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn what it has to offer.

Freed any good books lately? It's good for the circulation. :)