corner corner Pilgrim's Rest

Pilgrim's Rest
by Patricia Wentworth | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingAnneliswing of Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 12/19/2009

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, December 19, 2009

Pilgrim's Rest

Judy Elliot was looking forward to her new job at Pilgrim's Rest in the charming little village of Holt St Agnes. She was to be housemaid and whilst the war was on there was no place more peaceful or safe.

But Detective Sergeant Frank Abbott was horrified and advised her not to go. In the last few months, when the Pilgrim family scorned an old superstition and tried to sell the house, there had been a series of very deadly 'accidents' .

The situation was so grave that Miss Silver came down to investigate. Pilgrim's Rest was not safe but extremely dangerous...

Cover design by David Cox Studios (in my copy)

252 pages

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, December 19, 2009

Quite an enjoyable story. But if you don't like knitting old ladies, this might not be the book for you. The book pleased me, anyhow. Miss Silver brings to my mind another amateur sleuth, Miss Marple. Originality was not Patricia Wentworth's strong side, but her books still appear in new editions. The newest edition of this story was published in 2007 (the first edition in 1948).

Journal Entry 3 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 15, 2010

A nice detective story to read during the long, dark, cold winter nights in Finland. Now the next task, try to find a good place to let it go ...

Journal Entry 4 by winghippoleinwing at Helsingin kaupunginmuseon päärakennus in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, September 10, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (9/10/2012 UTC) at Helsingin kaupunginmuseon päärakennus in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Monopoly Release turn 12
---------------------------------
Historical places

The Helsinki City Museum in Sofiankatu 4 (in the museumstreet remade like an old street of Helsinki) all the way in the old centre of town is situated in one of the oldest quarters of town. The place of the museum was the location of the famous Stockmann shop, still existing in the center of town, but now became much larger than in those days.
You could consider the old shop a place where pilgrims on the way through Helsinki would drop by to have a rest during their travels.

Just inside the museum now, they have a very cozy sitting corner, where the pilgrims of our days may rest a bit and find now a book to read...

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, September 29, 2012

I found the book in the Helsinki city museum and took it with me.
The book was entertaining, although it didn´t make any big impression, but I wasn´t waiting for that either. I passed some mornings pleasantly by reading it in the bus on my way to work.