corner corner The Wave

The Wave
by Rhue Morton | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Bremen, Bremen Germany on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

status (set by Kazoochà): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"Laurie isn't sure what to make of 'The Wave'. It had begun as a simple history experiment to liven up their World War II studies and had become a craze that was taking over their lives. Laurie's classmates were changing from normal teenagers into chanting, saluting fanatics. 'The Wave' was sweeping through the school - and it was out of control. Laurie's friends scoff at her warnings but she knows she must make them see what they have become before it's too late. This book is based on a nightmarish true episode in a Californian high school." (amazon)

The Wave is a 1981 young adult novel by Todd Strasser under the pen name Morton Rhue. It is a novelization of a teleplay by Johnny Dawkins for the movie The Wave, a fictionalized account of the "Third Wave" teaching experiment by Ron Jones that took place in a Cubberley High School history class in Palo Alto, California. The novel by Strasser won the 1981 Massachusetts Book Award for Children's/Young Adult literature.
The setting of the book is Gordon High School in 1969. The plot of the book revolves around a history teacher (Mr. Ben Ross), his high school students, and an experiment he conducts in an attempt to teach them about how it may have been living in Nazi Germany. Unsatisfied with his own inability to answer his students' earnest questions of how and why, Mr Ross initiates the experiment in hopes that it answers the question of why the Germans allowed Adolf Hitler and the genocidal Nazi Party to rise to power, acting in a manner inconsistent with their own pre-existing moral values...

The Wave (original: Die Welle) is a German film based on the book The Wave which was inspired by the social experiment The Third Wave. The remake was quite successful in German cinemas, and after 10 weeks 2.3 million people had watched the film. The film was directed by Dennis Gansel and starred Jürgen Vogel, Max Riemelt, Jennifer Ulrich, Jacob Matschenz and Frederick Lau.

(Wikipedia)

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at a fellow bookcrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, December 20, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/21/2009 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to prachitulshan, and ecuas - for his birthday!

Journal Entry 3 by ecuas from Pune, Maharashtra India on Thursday, February 11, 2010

another present from ApoloniaX and prachi who had started a surprise birthday rabck for me! ApoloniaX is just so cool...all the books I got from her are great...abt world war 2, hitler n lord of the rings!! thank you so much :-D

Journal Entry 4 by wingprachitulshanwing at New Delhi, Delhi India on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

So I recently fished out this book from ecuas's shelf, and started reading it yesterday. I've finished it already since it was a slim book, and I'd recommend many to read it, to understand how fascist groups work...through an experiment that took place in an American high school, the dynamics of the discipline, power and brain-washing involved behind the Nazi regime in Germany is explained. Its given me food for thought and some important learnings too. And after reading the book the sticker on the front "Books change people. People change the world." makes so much sense. Thanks ApoloniaX for sending this our way...I will try and pass it on very soon!

Journal Entry 5 by ecuas at Pune, Maharashtra India on Friday, April 06, 2012

Read this book the second time. My apologies to ApoloniaX for not journaling this earlier.

The book starts off really nicely, and I was taken into the world of the students immediately. Some books need no time to get you hooked, I feel this one is one of them.
I only wihs the characters could have been more fleshed out. Mr Ross for example. The way in which the whole idea behind the Wave was conceived could have been given more time.
After the book ended, I had a nagging feeling that something more should be revealed, the closure could have been stronger.
But overall, I liked the book a lot.

Journal Entry 6 by wingprachitulshanwing at Pune, Maharashtra India on Saturday, April 21, 2012

This book is back with me and is all packed and ready to continue its travels... :-)

Journal Entry 7 by wingprachitulshanwing at wishlist surprise, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 21, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/21/2012 UTC) at wishlist surprise, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Wishlist surprise for you! Enjoy the book! :)

Journal Entry 8 by pumpkinpussycat at Crieff, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 05, 2012

What a great surprise--a wishlist book--I can't wait to read it---Thank You so much prachitulshan. It really made my day :)

Journal Entry 9 by pumpkinpussycat at Crieff, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

This book was a fast read, and really makes one think how peoples thinking can be changed by one strong central figure.
I will be sending this on its way soon.

Journal Entry 10 by pumpkinpussycat at St Mary's, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/13/2012 UTC) at St Mary's, Ontario Canada

I am passing this along to my Mom, and then will send it on its bookcrossing journey.

Journal Entry 11 by pumpkinpussycat at Egg and I Restaurant in Duff's Corners, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 12, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/11/2012 UTC) at Egg and I Restaurant in Duff's Corners, Ontario Canada

I left this book on the counter in the Ladies Washroom--If you find it please enjoy :)

Journal Entry 12 by Kazoochà at Ancaster, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Found it in the ladies room @ The Egg & I. Cool concept. Hope to read it soon.