corner corner The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins | Literature & Fiction
Registered by galleycat of San Clemente, California USA on 12/12/2009

status (set by easterngirl71): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by galleycat from San Clemente, California USA on Saturday, December 12, 2009

Synopsis: A riveting, post-apocalyptic tale about an annual lottery to select 24 kids to fight to the death like gladiators in a large, man-manipulated, outdoor 'battle field' as a reminder that this is the price you pay as a people for uprisings against the dystopian leadership.

My take: I've seen this book described as a sort of "Survivor" meets "The Lottery." Yes, OK ... but that really sells it short. Clever, riveting storytelling. Memorable characters. Surprises and twists. Perfect ending. Couldn't put it down.

This book caught some flak for its tough-at-times, kids-fighting-to-the-death plot. On the other hand, it has also been embraced by critics and is averaging 4-plus stars from nearly 1,000 Amazon readers, almost certainly because it's unputdownable and because of its thought-provoking storylines on violence-as-entertainment and rule-by-intimidation.

Prepare to get swept up in the story.

Another voice: "A jarring speed-rap of a novel that generates nearly constant suspense." -- Stephen King, Entertainment Weekly

Don't say I didn't warn you: Whatever else you do, DO NOT read any reviews for the sequel, "Catching Fire," until you're done with this book. Most reviews I've seen give away the ending to the first book fairly quickly without warning.

Journal Entry 2 by galleycat from San Clemente, California USA on Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Hunger Games (U.S. Bookray)

1) If you journal a review, please be careful not to give away the ending.

2) Life happens. If you're running behind, don't panic. A courteous journal entry letting the rest of us know you're still out there is immeasurably reassuring, though.

Group I

Group II

megtall / Michigan
Moeshell / Texas
mellion108 / Michigan
easterngirl71 / Illinois (April 23)
BouncingFerret / New York

Special note: If you'd like to read the second book in this trilogy after you finish The Hunger Games, you can either mention in your journal note that you'd like to join the Catching Fire bookring or you can PM me to let me know.

Journal Entry 3 by megtall from Burton, Michigan USA on Thursday, February 11, 2010

Just got in today's mail1 I'm so excited to start reading this one. I'll probably get it started tomorrow. I hope it's as good as everyone says it is :)
Thank you to Galleycat for sharing this bookring!

Journal Entry 4 by wingcollectorkerriwing from Springfield, Illinois USA on Thursday, February 11, 2010

Received today. Will read ASAP.

Journal Entry 5 by megtall from Burton, Michigan USA on Thursday, February 18, 2010

WOW!
What an excellent book this turned out to be! At the start, I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but I kept reading because of the fabulous reviews I had read. Plus, Hunger Games was recommended by several of my friends. I'm dying to read the next book. The end left me hanging, but in a completely good way. I really want to know what happens next. It is hard to review without giving any spoilers, but it was a fantastic read. I blazed through it because once I got a few chapters in, I couldn't put it down.

Journal Entry 6 by megtall at Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 18, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/19/2010 UTC) at Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I have already contacted Moeshell and will be mailing out tomorrow from Michigan. I hope you like it as much as I did!
megtall

Journal Entry 7 by wingcollectorkerriwing from Springfield, Illinois USA on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wow! What a gripping story. I often am strangely attracted to future-set dystopian stories like this one, and I'm not sure what that says about me, being that I am a pretty easygoing, optimistic Midwestern American (maybe that I confine my dark outlook just to reading about such things?). I was so thoroughly caught up in Katniss' story that I finished the book in less than a day. I can't wait to read book 2 of the series and was excited when I saw the cover art for the final book, due this summer.

The book is now headed to mhs160 for the next leg of its journey. Thanks for letting me participate, galleycat!

Journal Entry 8 by Moeshell from Richardson, Texas USA on Thursday, February 25, 2010

Received the book yesterday, finished the book I was currently reading last night. Good timing!! Get started on this one right away.

Journal Entry 9 by mhs160 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 27, 2010

I received the book in today's mail! It's next on my TBR list. Thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by Moeshell from Richardson, Texas USA on Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Can't wait to find out what happens next… those were my thoughts as I was reading this story and my thoughts now that I am complete with Book 1. It was a love/hate relationship with how the author leaves you hanging at the end of the chapters. I had to read on and stop in the middle of a chapter… I just couldn’t take the suspense. I’ve been debating on reading this one for a little while… the synopsis I’ve read just didn’t sound like the sort of thing that I’m usually into. But like megtall, the reviews I’ve read made me give it a try and I’m sure glad I did!! It’s good to step out of the comfort box now and again, especially when you are rewarded with a great story like this.

I’ve got the addy for mellion108 and will have this one in the mail by the end of the week. Thanks galleycat for sharing this ring with me and BTW could you add me to the list for the Catching Fire ring???? I can’t resist :)

Journal Entry 11 by mhs160 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, March 05, 2010

I absolutely love this book! The story and characters are amazing. So much suspense, you can't put it down. I read it twice in one week. I highly recommend any fan of YA lit to join this bookray immediately. I'm dying to read what happens next, so I'm going to buy this book and the second one for my permanent collection. Then I'll be waiting with anticipation for the final book to be released in August. Thank you so much galleycat for sharing this incredible book! Sending it on to indygo88 asap.

Mailed 3/6/10 to indygo88. Delivery Conf. # 0309 1830 0002 0892 2584

Journal Entry 12 by Moeshell at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 05, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/5/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Happy traveling little book!!

Journal Entry 13 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, March 12, 2010

Group 1 book arrived here today. Gee...such raving reviews! Makes me anxious to get started, although I have a couple of books ahead of this one. Will update soon...!

Journal Entry 14 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, March 13, 2010

Group II book is here! Thanks for sending this my way, Moeshell, and thanks to galleycat for sharing. I have 3 books that I'm in the process of reading. As soon as I've finished those, I'll start this one (hopefully not too long).

Thanks!

Hardcover, 374 pages

From the dust jacket:
Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, whe will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Aclaimed writer Suzanne Collins, author of the New York Times bestselling Underland Chronicles, delivers equal parts suspense and philosophy, adventure and romance, in this searing novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present.

Journal Entry 15 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Sunday, March 28, 2010

What an awesome book!!!!!!

I loved this story and read it straight through once I started. Great characters, great plot, great tension...I really like that the story is narrated by Katniss Everdeen - she's a terrific, strong, passionate character.

I had heard this was a good series, but I didn't think I would be this enthralled. Good stuff. Thanks again for sharing, galleycat.

I have PMd easterngirl71 for an address and will get this book moving again as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 16 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Friday, April 02, 2010

UPDATE: Mailed today to easterngirl71

Journal Entry 17 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

I'm not sure that I can say anything new that hasn't already been said about this book. After reading everyone else's reviews above mine, I agree with them all. A co-worker of mine recommended this book to me & I have to admit, like several of you said above, the synopsis didn't exactly grab me right away, but how can you NOT be swept in by a story such as this?? It's such an interesting mix of a little bit of everything. I'm usually a sucker for series books, as in I can't read the first one & not continue reading the rest, and this is definitely no exception. So yeah! Sign me up for the next one too! :')

I've got tracy920's mailing address & will be sending this out by the end of the week. I'll update this journal entry when I do. Thanks for initiating this great ray, galleycat! :')

4/9/10 -- Mailed out today.

Journal Entry 18 by tracy920 from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Thursday, April 15, 2010

Just got the book, can't wait to start reading

Journal Entry 19 by tracy920 at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/21/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to buffyfan.

Journal Entry 20 by easterngirl71 from Alton, Illinois USA on Friday, April 23, 2010

Got this book either yesterday or today can't remember!! Thanks for including me:) If there is someone else that needs to have the book sent to them after me just let me know. I will get it read as soon as I can:) Again I thank you for letting me read this book I look forward to doing so!

Journal Entry 21 by buffyfan from Rochester, New York USA on Monday, April 26, 2010

The book came today, and I can't wait to read it. Thanks for sending it to me.

Journal Entry 22 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Thursday, June 03, 2010

Would you please get back to me and let me know the person who is to follow me after I read your book?? Things have changed here since I was last on the site:) The Hunger Games book that I borrowed from you. Thanks:) Sarah

Journal Entry 23 by galleycat at San Diego, California USA on Saturday, June 05, 2010

easterngirl71: Just PMed you. If you don't get it, let me know here and I'll paste my response in here. Thanks for asking, by the way. Appreciate you bunches.

Journal Entry 24 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I have two more books and then I will be able to read this book. I am reading as fast as I can. But life does happen and I appreciate your letting me hold on to the book for a while. I appreciate that..but if you would like me to just go on and send it off I can do that also. But I am really hoping that you will let me hold on to it for just a while longer! Thanks for being patient:)

Journal Entry 25 by galleycat at San Clemente, California USA on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hey, Sarah. No problem. Keep the book until you're done. Life happens. As a reminder to you and everyone behind you, when you're done let me know if you want in on the ring for the second book in the series. Have a nice week.

Journal Entry 26 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Friday, July 30, 2010

I just feel bad holding everyone up I have two more books to read before I could read this one...but while I was on vacation I found a copy of this book and will read it instead and get this book moving on. Please put me down last for the second book if at all possible! Thanks:)

Journal Entry 27 by BouncingFerret at Horseheads, New York USA on Monday, September 13, 2010

Received this book quite awhile ago, haven't had access to internet to journal it, though. Will be on my tbr list, should begin within the next few weeks.
Thanks again, and sorry for the journaling delay. :)

Journal Entry 28 by galleycat at San Clemente, California USA on Friday, September 17, 2010

Thanks for playing, everyone. Hope everyone had a good time.

(BouncingFerret: When you're done, feel free to keep the book or to pass it on to someone else to read. Enjoy.)

Journal Entry 29 by BouncingFerret at Horseheads, New York USA on Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I loved this book! It was somewhat childish (I think it's a Young Adult book?) but the ideas were creative and it was a captivating read. I am planning on finding the second book at the library. :)

Journal Entry 30 by BouncingFerret at Horseheads, New York USA on Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (9/28/2010 UTC) at Horseheads, New York USA

Sent back to easterngirl, per her request. :)

Journal Entry 31 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Sunday, February 06, 2011

I am going to start another bookray for your book! Since I have not had the time to read it as of yet, I am sure there are plenty of other bookcrossrs who would like to read this book also. Galleycat...thanks so much for including me in this bookray:) Someday maybe I will be able to return the favor. I have gotten my hands on another copy of this book so I will not miss out and I will be able to read the book at my leisure. Thanks again:)