corner corner Tipping the Velvet

Tipping the Velvet
by Sarah Waters | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingperryfranwing of North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, December 05, 2009

status (set by mummafour): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, December 05, 2009

I received this copy through PaperbackSwap.com as a replacement for my bookray that is stalled with scowlette. See this JE for prior reviews of this book.

Here is my review from the stalled ray:

This was definitely a captivating, enjoyable story! Sarah Waters takes us into the underworld of 19th century London from a perspective that I certainly had never read about before. Okay, being a straight male, this world of lesbian love was a little outside my experience but it certainly was a story that holds your interest. I especially liked how Waters colorfully described this period in time and all the slang that she used – "tom," "masher," "gay girls," "rent boy," "saucy," etc. And the story was definitely erotic - the sex scenes were quite explicit (I hope other readers are not easily offended). The characters in the story were very well-developed and quite believable. Nancy, especially, was a great character from her beginnings as a Whitstable oyster girl, to her up and down experiences searching for happiness. Overall a very SAUCY story!

This book is No. 85 on the 1001 books you must read before you die list

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, December 05, 2009

Bookray
This is a replacement for my bookray which is stalled with scowlette. See this JE for prior entries. Bookray will remain open until last person has the book. Please PM if you would like to join.

Remaining participants:

. Danielle23 from UK (UK preferred)
. brunton11 from UK (UK/Europe if possible)
. TheDunedan from UK (Europe preferred, International if needed)
. Stubee from UK (international)
. KT-J from UK (international)
. davemurray101 from Australia (International)
. Mozette from Australia (International)
. livrecache from Australia (?)
. Nisaba000 from Australia (Australia only)<----Skipped
. Shelly-Sparkles from Australia (Australia only)
. mummafour from Australia (International)<----Book is here - 11/8/11. STALLED - NO RESPONSE TO PMS!
. bookworm76 from Australia (International)
. dutch-book from Netherlands (EU if possible)
. Tsjara from the Netherlands (EU preferred)
. Tubereader from Luxembourg (EU preferred)
. laure69 from France (EU preferred)
. EmgeeNL from Netherlands (EU preferred)
. AgdaAgulina from Czech Republic (International)
. bearyfriend from Singapore (International)

Note: Order is subject to change based on shipping preferences and others joining the bookray.

How the bookray works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first)
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it but try to pass it on within a couple of months - others are waiting!)
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
* Send the book to the next person on the list (please use the cheapest shipping method available), make release notes (Controlled Release) or journal entry to let everyone know that it's in the mail
* END OF THE RAY, The last person on the ray could try and continue the ray or just give/mail the book to someone else who might like to read it, perhaps a RABCK.

Please feel free to PM me at any time with questions

THIS BOOKRAY IS STALLED WITH MUMMAFOUR WHO DOES NOT RESPOND TO PMS! HOPEFULLY, AT SOME POINT IT WILL CONTINUE ON ITS JOURNEY.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, December 05, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/5/2009 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Will be winging its way to Danielle23 in the UK. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 4 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, December 20, 2009

The book arrived safely yesterday, thanks so much. I have a few other rings/rays before it and a busy festive period, but I promise to get to it when I can. Thanks again for sharing your books Perryfran xx

Journal Entry 5 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, January 31, 2010

I really enjoyed this book and the many stories it detailed. Nancy had such a varied life that at times it felt that I was reading about different characters and not the progression of her life. I do hope that she eventually found true peace which it seems that she did.

Will PM brunton11 for an address now and get it sent off ASAP. Thanks for sharing another great book perryfran xx

Journal Entry 6 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, February 01, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/1/2010 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Sent on to brunton11, enjoy xx

Journal Entry 7 by wingbrunton11wing from Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Arrived today - Thanks all for sharing. I've nearly finished my current book so I'll start on this one next.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbrunton11wing from Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 13, 2010

One of the better 1001BTRBYD. I have 'Nightwatch' on my TBR pile so will be interested to see what it's like after this one and 'Fingersmith'.

Thanks all for sharing. Will get this posted to theDunedan this weekend.

Journal Entry 9 by TheDunedan from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thank you received the book this morning. I will read it and pass it on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 10 by TheDunedan at Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 06, 2010

Sorry for the delay. After various computer and pm problems the book was sent to the next person several days ago.

Journal Entry 11 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Thanks TheDunedan for sending this on and to perryfran for starting the ray. My reading has been pretty lax at late and I have a few commitments I need to finish before I start on this but I'll try and get through it as fast as I can, KT-J might read this first depending on her reading commitments.

Journal Entry 12 by KT-J at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I had a gap in my reading so took this over from Stubee. Overall I enjoyed this book. I read Fingersmith a while ago and although the two books tell completely different stories I felt some of the themes were similar in terms of the awakening of the characters' desires and some of the male characters and the influences they have.

I thought the story flowed well and I enjoyed how it moved Nancy between competely different cirmcumstances to showcase the breadth of society at this time, and how the different social groups dealt with lesbianism as well as the general prevailing culture of the time.

All in a good book and I would read more of Sarah Waters having enjoyed both this and Fingersmith. Thanks perryfran for sharing this. I've now passed it back to Stubee to read.

Journal Entry 13 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 01, 2011

The story of Nancy King is Lesbian fiction as it's most erotic, an exciting about lesbian love in late 1800's / early 1900's London.

Sorry, perryfran, that I've keep it so long, I'm just waiting on a response from davemurray101 before sending on this on it's way.

Journal Entry 14 by stubee at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (5/25/2011 UTC) at Valentine, New South Wales Australia

On it's way to davemurray101 :)

Journal Entry 15 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 02, 2011

Received in the post today. Thanks to Stubee for posting and Perryfran for organising the bookring.

Journal Entry 16 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Monday, June 06, 2011

A truly magnificent book. Avoided a lot of the cliche you come to expect from Novels set in the period - being rather too reminiscent of Conan-Doyle. Thanks to Perryfran and passing on to Mozette as soon as I confirm the address.

Journal Entry 17 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/8/2011 UTC) at Valentine, New South Wales Australia

posted to Mozette today.

Journal Entry 18 by Mozette at Logan City, Queensland Australia on Thursday, June 09, 2011

This bookray showed up in my PO Box today... been looking forward to reading it for a while; and clean forgot I was on this list for it. Now, I'll settle in on this cold Winter's day for a good read. :)

Journal Entry 19 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Thursday, August 11, 2011

This book arrived on Monday, but I've had the flu and have only just got to journalling it. My apologies. I'm looking forward to reading it. I've no other recreational reading at the moment, so I should be in to it soon, but I have a whole heap of work to catch up on first.

Thanks so much to Mozette for passing it on, and to perryfran for starting this ray.

Journal Entry 20 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, August 21, 2011

I have to say I enjoyed this book. Although it's the first of Sarah Waters' books, it's the last I've read. I like some of her later books more. But it may be that it's the most honest. In others she has flirted overtly with the subject of lesbianism: in this one it's right out there. I learnt a lot. I thought it was fascinating how she described society's attitude at the time. Nancy overall was a mostly believable character, although I found **** SPOILER ALERT***** the way she met up with so many sigificant people in her life in the last chapter to be too coincidental to be believable.
But it was well written, and I couldn't put it down. But is this some sort of purient side of me that I didn't know existed?

Journal Entry 21 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I've tried the next person on the list several times but had no reply. I'll try the next one.

Journal Entry 22 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sending to Shelly-Sparkles today

Journal Entry 23 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (8/31/2011 UTC) at Hobart, Tasmania Australia

On its way to another bookcrosser. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 24 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Friday, September 16, 2011

The book has been lost in transit: it slipped out of the packaging apparently. I'm so sorry. I'll see if the PO by some miracle has it.
If not, I'll get another copy and send it on its way again

Journal Entry 25 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, September 25, 2011

I've ordered a new copy to be sent direct to Shelly Sparkles. It may take a few days to arrive as I nominated the free delivery option.

Journal Entry 26 by Shelly-Sparkles at Woodridge, Queensland Australia on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Book arrived safe and sound (from the pond). Will get to reading it very soon, thanks :)

Journal Entry 27 by Shelly-Sparkles at Brisbane, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I Glided through this book, was read in three days. Loved Sarah Waters descriptive writing style, I shall be seeking out another of hers very soon to read.
I have contacted Mummafour for her addressing details

Journal Entry 28 by mummafour at Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Thank you Shelly-Sparkles this book has been sitting in my post box for a couple of days (sorry) will start reading this tonight. :)