corner corner Ha'penny

Ha'penny
by Jo Walton | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 11/14/2009

status (set by Pooker3): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, November 14, 2009

BookCloseouts had a sale on all their cookbooks and there were a few I really wanted but since they were so cheap I went looking to see what other books they had. My sister has been raving about this book and I thought it was worth $3.49 to get a hardcover copy.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, July 30, 2017

This is the second book in the Small Change series and, like the first, I sped through it. It was perhaps a tiny bit less dramatic than the first but that is probably to be expected in the middle book of a trilogy. This series is an alternate history set in a Britain that made peace with the Nazis after the Dunkirk evacuation.

The Farthing Group who took power of the British parliament in the last book have made further inroads into the rights and liberties of the British public by rounding up Jews and communists as terrorists. Those who haven't been detained have trouble getting jobs or even going out in public as everyone has to show their identity cards when demanded. Viola Lark is a daughter of a Lord even though she has been disinherited because she decided to make a career in the theatre. She is one of 6 sisters and they are each as different from the other as can be imagined. One sister, Cressida (Siddy), is a Communist and one sister, Celia (Pip), is married to a Nazi. Viola has been asked to perform in Hamlet and take the lead role. The director tells her that the PM and Hitler will be in the audience on opening night. Her mother was to have been played by a well-known actress but before rehearsals start she is blown up by a bomb and it becomes apparent to Inspector Carmichael, who is investigating this death, that she and another man were building the bomb. He can't figure out why because there has been no public announcement of the VIP performance. Meanwhile Viola has been asked by Siddy to take part in the plot but she is reluctant to do so because she doesn't really believe the government and Hitler are as bad as they are made out to be. An IRA bomber who is going to make the bomb tells Viola that she can either do her part or be killed because they can't allow her to go free now that she knows. Viola agrees to help in those circumstances but she thinks there will be some way to prevent the bombing in the end.

As in the first book alternating chapters are told by Inspector Carmichael so we can see how the plot is being unravelled bit by bit. The question is will the bomb be detonated and achieve its purpose before he can stop it? We are kept guessing right up to the end.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, September 29, 2017

Since I talked Pooker3 into trying out the first book in this series I decided I would keep this book until our next meeting to see if she or anyone else wanted to try it.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, November 23, 2017

Released 2 wks ago (11/24/2017 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I will take this book to the Winnipeg meetup today and hopefully one of the attendees will take it home. If not, you will find it on the OBCZ shelf for its next reader.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 5 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, November 24, 2017

I picked this up at tonight's meeting even though I still haven't read the first in the series, Farthing. In fact we discovered tonight that I already have 12 screen pages of unread books! I have no shame. If only someone would pay me to read my books, I could retire and get caught up. Thanks gypsysmom.