corner corner The Bookshop (Flamingo)

The Bookshop (Flamingo)
by Penelope Fitzgerald | Literature & Fiction
Registered by lucy-lemon of Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on 11/8/2009

status (set by florence71): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, November 08, 2009

Acquired this book from Amazon (for like a penny plus postage!) because it was shortlisted for the Booker Prize - I'm trying to read my way through the Booker shortlists.

I did like it, but it felt too short. This might be because I had just finished Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates, which is about 850 pages long! Nevertheless, it was a good read.

Sending off on a bookray, to:

sterile - UK - UK/EU posting
wildflower37 - US -Intl posting
nancynova - US - Intl posting
sarkiegirl - US - Intl posting
lils74 - Nepal

Journal Entry 2 by lucy-lemon at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 09, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/9/2009 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent off to sterile to start the bookring. Hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It's Here! Starting it tonight! Thanks for the chance to read this book. Will pass it along asap.

Journal Entry 4 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, November 13, 2009

I did enjoy this Novella (if it should be called so) but probably found it to be more of an atmospheric work rather than a thumping good read. It had it's highs (the humour was great) and it's lows (everybody in the story, including the children, were SO well heeled!)

Penelope Fitzgerald (1916 - 2000) didn't write many books and started somewhat late in life with her first which she wrote to entertain her terminally ill husband.

I am actively seeking out more of Fitzgerald's work as I found the book to be, if not a happy tale, a read worth repeating in her other books.

I have taken Mafarrimonds address from her profile and pmed her to expect the book soon.

Journal Entry 5 by Sterile at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, November 13, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/14/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending the ring along to Mafarrimond who is the next in line! 2nd Class 14 November 2009

The 'The' Challenge November 2009

Journal Entry 6 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, November 20, 2009

Book arrived safely today. Will read as soon as able.

Journal Entry 7 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The front copy claims this to be "a perfect little gem" and that's just what it was. I loved it. I will look out for more from this author. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Pm sent to karen07814 for her address.

Journal Entry 8 by mafarrimond at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/26/2009 UTC) at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom

Posting on. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 9 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, November 28, 2009

Loved it.
A few hours reading with no need for a bookmark.
It raised questions such as why would a marrow have a tap in it? Could I have a go at that?
Were the new coloured paperbacks people wanted Penguins?
How did the lending library work inside a shop?
Illustrated perfectly the society lady who wanted what she wanted and had no qualms in using various people to get it. Neatly used the local dialect.
Overall an excellent example of the not so distant past...I'm off to ask an old Suffolk boy for some answers...over to you
on it's way to Wales 1/12/09

Journal Entry 10 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, December 14, 2009

It's made it back :-) I will be sending this off to chich in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 11 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, January 11, 2010

Book received today, thanks so much lucy-lemon! I'll finish the book I'm reading right now and will get right on to this one.

Happy New Year to all previous readers:o)

Journal Entry 12 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, January 18, 2010

What a delightful little book! It was a bit too short but I loved the atmosphere that pervades the book. I'd never heard of Penelope Fitzgerald before joining this ring but I'll definitely try to read some of her other books in the future:)

Thanks for sharing lucy-lemon!

Journal Entry 13 by chich at Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 18, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/18/2010 UTC) at Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to wildflower37 today, enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by wildflower37 from Montclair, New Jersey USA on Saturday, January 23, 2010

Received yesterday. Looking forward to reading it. Will pass along soon...

Journal Entry 15 by wildflower37 from Montclair, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 31, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed the prose of this small novel. I had a harder time connectng to the narrator - which surprised me - as the dream of a opening a bookshop seems quite aligned with my own fantasies. However, I never felt like I fully understood her motivations or her longings, maybe it is just indicative of the character's own reserve. Would be interested in reading more by this author.

Currently confirming the next recipient's address and will send this week.

Journal Entry 16 by wildflower37 at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 31, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/1/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending on to the next reader (nancynova). Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, February 05, 2010

Wow - a thin little book. Thank you. Logged and added to the rays. Will journal again when I start the book.

Journal Entry 18 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Will be starting this one by the weekend. A little over on my time - sorry. PM'g the next in line, so I have the mailer ready - this looks like a quick read.

Journal Entry 19 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, March 15, 2010

Quick commute read. Very English, so didn't understand all the idioms (but looks like some of the others didn't either). Had a hard time visualizing a town so out of touch with the rest of the country, yet with a setting not that long ago. And i wanted to just shake Violet at the end. Oooh - feeling so sorry for Florence, who didn't have a clue about the evil going on behind her back.

Journal Entry 20 by wingNancyNovawing at La Quinta, California USA on Monday, March 15, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/16/2010 UTC) at La Quinta, California USA

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 21 by sarkiegirl from La Quinta, California USA on Monday, March 22, 2010

Very thin little book, but I still have 2 in front of it, so hopefully I can get through those so I can start on this one!
Thanks for sending to me, and thanks for the little gifties inside!

Journal Entry 22 by sarkiegirl from La Quinta, California USA on Saturday, April 10, 2010

For such a small book, it took me a while. Maybe the language slowed me down. For me, it was average. There were some moments that made me laugh and I liked some of the story, but there were also moments when I found my mind wandering, and I was a little bit bored.
Thank you so much for including me, and I will send it on promptly!

Journal Entry 23 by sarkiegirl at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, California USA on Saturday, April 10, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/10/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, California USA

I sent it to lils74 today!!! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by lils74 from Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Thursday, April 29, 2010

Just received this today, thankfully it got here safely. The top of the envelope had been ripped open but it had been re-sealed in a plastic post office envelope, so the book was safe!
Thanks sarkiegirl for sending and lucy-lemon for organizing this. I look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 25 by lils74 from Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Saturday, May 01, 2010

Got this just the day before yesterday and finished this morning during a long power cut (normal here) so the house was nice and quiet. A very quick and readable book. I didn't quite know what to expect but I was very impressed. The writing is sparse and unemotional, but thoroughly engrossing and "real." These all felt like such real people, to the point where I was so saddened by the ending...
Thank you for the ring, lucy-lemon; this is the sort of book I would likely have never found without Bookcrossing, as I'd never heard of this author before, but I'll now keep an eye out for more of hers.
Overall I had no trouble with the language or the period, but karen07814, did you find out why the marrow had a tap in it?
Sending lucy-lemon a pm to see her plans for the book next.
ETA: As I am last in line, she told me I could pass it on as I like. Think I will send it out as a RABCK, but not sure yet.

Journal Entry 26 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Friday, May 24, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/23/2013 UTC) at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal

Posted out for the wishlist tag game. Happy Travels, little book!

Journal Entry 27 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Friday, June 07, 2013

Thanks for this book, it looks so interesting! The card and the stamps on the envelope are lovely too!

Journal Entry 28 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, December 25, 2013

What a lovely book - the atmosphere was the thing that worked for me too! This reminded me of the "Miss Read"-books, the same quiet world with a lot going under the surface.

Journal Entry 29 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Friday, December 27, 2013

To Annimanni!

Journal Entry 30 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, January 30, 2014

What a well-travelled book! Can't wait to begin reading it. Thank you!

Journal Entry 31 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 21, 2016

Opening a bookshop is my favourite daydream so I thought I could easily identify with Florence but it didn't quite happen. I agree with wildflower37 that Florence's motivations weren't quite clear as she didn't seem to be a great bookworm herself. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this little book and the way Fitzgerald describes the village, the social setting and the people, each with their own quirks. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 32 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Thank you for the book, Annimanni and others!

Journal Entry 33 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, April 25, 2016

This is a nice little story and a well-travelled book as well.
Thank you all for sharing!

Journal Entry 34 by wingAnneliswing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Released 9 mos ago (2/21/2017 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I don't really know if I liked this book or not. Somehow it was nice, though.

Now this little book will travel abroad.
Happy reading!

This is my book #41 in the Reduce Mount TBR -challence by Dove-i-libri

Journal Entry 35 by florence71 at Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, February 23, 2017

Thanks Annelis for this RABCK ! I wonder if it wasn't on my wishlist tought ?