corner corner *RING One wonderful book for a book ring

*RING One wonderful book for a book ring
by a mystery | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by karen07814 of Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on 11/5/2009

status (set by laure69): travelling

1 2 Next

Journal Entry 1 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, November 05, 2009

********NEWSFLASH************
I will be doing a sponsored walk for 15 miles or 25 km overnight in a probably wet London on 30th September in aid of Big Issue Foundation. I am struggling to get to the target £250 so any odd change would be gratefully received. Those that know me know that the most exercise I do is lifting a glass or a bar of chocolate so this is an extreme test for me. Sponsorship page is here http://www.justgiving.com/karen-baden and I thank you in advance for helping a worthy cause.
***********

surprise bookring

****PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL THE TITLE OR AUTHOR IN YOUR REVIEW****

NB Two books are now travelling under the same journal number, one starting in the UK and one in the US. Please send on to the next person on your book's list. Please journal as usual as though there was only one book travelling.

When it reaches you please:
Journal to say you've got it
pm the next person for their address
read
journal comments
send on to next person (ideally within a week to 10 days it really is that quick a read)
thank you everybody for the trust in me!
feel free to sellotape this back together if necessary, it's been a lot more popular than I expected and may even collapse a little bit under the strain!!

Going to:

brookler - canada - canada-receieved 29th July

Kimmi - Canada - anywhere
kathmeista - Taiwan - anywhere
jumpingin - Canada - Canada
Luckof - Canada - to me UK (thanks Luckof)

****PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL THE TITLE OR AUTHOR IN YOUR REVIEW****

PM karen07814 if you would like to be added....

Journal Entry 2 by BethanyGordon from Leven, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sounds interesting. Not a book I'd usually reach for but looks good.
I'll read it and pass it on as soon as I can :)

Journal Entry 3 by BethanyGordon from Leven, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 26, 2009

I really enjoyed reading this book!
It's witty and heart-warming, and makes you think. I wish I'd have met Graham!
I really think my dad will enjoy this book too, so I've bought it for him for Christmas!

I hope everyone enjoys the book as much as I did.
Also, sorry it's taken me so long to read it! Trust me to be first on the list and still hold it up! I'll be sending it off to the next reader tomorrow on my way home from school!

Journal Entry 4 by BethanyGordon at Royal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 27, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/27/2009 UTC) at Royal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent by first class post to katrinat

Journal Entry 5 by katrinat from Southend-on sea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, November 28, 2009

This arrived this morning and looks fantastic. Looking forwards to reading it

Journal Entry 6 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Book Two arrived safely in New Jersey yesterday after its trip across the Atlantic Ocean. Looking forward to starting it. Thanks karen07814!

Journal Entry 7 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Monday, December 21, 2009

Book Two--
I just finished reading this book and immediately googled the author to see what he's been up to. I highly recommed watching the 10 minute video clip from his website. What an inspiration. I lived in London for 4 years and am familiar with The Big Issue and had purchased copies myself.

Thank you karen07814 for sharing this book with us. I already have the address for the next reader and will mail this out tomorrow.

Journal Entry 8 by 300dogs at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (12/22/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Book Two was mailed to BC member a1856 in Colorado today. Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

Journal Entry 9 by a1856 from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Friday, December 25, 2009

I received this yesterday! What a great idea! Thank you, 300dogs, for getting it to me just before Christmas! It's a nice Christmas present! As BethanyGordon mentioned, it's not one that I would reach for either, but from the reviews, I'm really looking forward to reading this! I will start tonight!

Journal Entry 10 by katrinat from Southend-on sea, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, December 28, 2009

Read book one just before christmas, was a good read and will make me more likely to buy the big issue now - when I lived in Cambridge I always brought it as the guy was funny, where I live now the guy doesn't really make any effort and looks unwelcoming. I have the next address and this will be posted tomorrow when the post office reopens

Journal Entry 11 by a1856 at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Colorado USA on Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (12/28/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Colorado USA

I really enjoyed this book! What a wonderful idea to do it as a mystery bookring! It certainly gave me a new perspective! I have sent it on to "minesayn". Thank you karen07814 for the bookring!

Journal Entry 12 by wingminesaynwing from Huron, Ohio USA on Sunday, January 03, 2010

Received same over the weekend, will read and pass on to the next bookring member. It certainly looks interesting at the outset; can't wait to dig into it.

Journal Entry 13 by wingminesaynwing from Huron, Ohio USA on Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Very interesting read! I laughed out loud with some of the stories; I shared a few of them with my husband; and I was saddened and in tears with others. It definitely makes you think differently, or, at least, should. I know I will. I will be mailing it off tomorrow to "dabercro"! Thanks to "Karen07814" for opening all of our eyes with this mystery bookring!

Journal Entry 14 by wingminesaynwing at Clinton, Utah USA on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (1/6/2010 UTC) at Clinton, Utah USA

Sending via post to dabercro...hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 15 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Thursday, January 14, 2010

Book #2 arrived in the mail yesterday.

Journal Entry 16 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Sunday, January 17, 2010

This is definitely not a book I would have chosen to read or sign up for in a bookring. What a great idea to send it out as a "surprise" bookring to get this book in more hands. Quite an interesting story. Gives me a new perspective on homelessness and the homeless. Not being from England, I wasn't familiar with some of the terminology.

I have the next participant's address and will mail this on Tuesday since tomorrow is a federal holiday and post offices are closed.

Journal Entry 17 by dabercro at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (1/19/2010 UTC) at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending Book#2 to the next participant, ComradeCamper, in WI.

Journal Entry 18 by katrinat at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, January 21, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (1/20/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sorry I kept it so long. Thanks for sharing, what a lovely idea

Journal Entry 19 by ComradeCamper from Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ah, so this is the mystery book! Intriguing idea......

Book #2 arrived at my house today (and there *is* a magazine with it, in case that was a question).
Good timing! I just sent off my ring/ray book this morning, so I'm ready for something new. And this book has a very interesting premise; I think it'll be an inspirational read.

Thanks, dabercro, for sending this book along to me!

Journal Entry 20 by Jonniboi from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, January 22, 2010

just got this (finally), I can't promise that I'll be able to read it in the 10 day limit as I have a few book rings/rays infront of this! PMing the next person in line for BOOK ONE now!

Journal Entry 21 by ComradeCamper at Sandy, Utah USA on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (1/27/2010 UTC) at Sandy, Utah USA

Sent this marvelous little book, along with an accompanying magazine, off to cbostler this afternoon. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, cb!
Thought it was quite a co-inky-dink that the book was sent to me from Utah -- and I mailed it right back there, didn't I?!

BTW: I put a label on the little package that said "Media Mail". The postal clerk asked me, you just have a book or CD in here, right?
I said um, yes, just a book and a magazine.

Ooohhhh, no! *NOT* a magazine; they have advertisements! Then they can't go as media mail.

I allowed as how I had received the package with the same contents, labelled "Media Mail".

Ooohhh, no! They're really cracking down on that, these days.

Did any of you know about this clause??

Journal Entry 22 by cbostler from Sandy, Utah USA on Saturday, January 30, 2010

Book #2 just arrived in Sandy, Utah.
I couldn't ask for a better situation - a free weekend and an intriguing book to read.
I can tell by the number of participants on the list in JE #1 that I'm not the only one who was drawn in by the idea of receiving a mystery book. Well done, Karen07814.

Journal Entry 23 by cbostler from Sandy, Utah USA on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

In Karen07814's initial bookring thread she wrote," a wonderful book is on offer....
it's totally unique and a pot luck one. It will take about 2 hours to read.
It gives understanding and hope and it's not religious at all. It will open eyes, tells a story, contains excellent humour."

Karen, the book is everything you promised. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Favorite passages come from page 41, "...most importantly, I have my memories. Good or bad, they get me through. They make me smile, they make me laugh aloud, they sometimes make me cry, but for sure, they stay with me, always, giving me warmth, comfort, a sense of being."

I loved the article titled "A Break for Christmas" on pages 66-67. What poignant writing!!

This quote from page 87 has given me new direction: "When you do good, you do it unconditionally. You do it not as a favour, or for loyalty points, or to gain that extra foothold in the Promised Land. No, you do it to help some you have the ability to help."

I will be able to personally hand this book to the next person in the ring, Erishkigal, tomorrow.

Journal Entry 24 by erishkigal from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, February 04, 2010

I received this book tonight with rave reviews. I am off to play in the snow with my (college-student) grandaughter, and I won't take it with. Assuming I survive~ I'm taking her snowshoeing and she's taking me air-boarding !~~ I should be able to move it on next week.

What a clever girl you are, karen07814 :-)

Journal Entry 25 by Jonniboi from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, February 15, 2010

Thank you soooooooooo much Karen for setting this up, what a great idea, and this book is amazing which is completely surprising as it's not one people would pick up and read! Thank you for letting me join, and I shall send off to the next person as soon as I can, but I don't have much money right now, but I shall send out soon, hopefully!

Journal Entry 26 by Jonniboi at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (2/17/2010 UTC) at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom

I am ever so sorry that I took sooooooooo long, I have now sent it off, and I sure hope nediamnori87 enjoys this book!

Journal Entry 27 by erishkigal from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, February 20, 2010

I survived the air-boarding, and had a blast~can't wait to go again!!

I had hoped to get this both read and moved on to tostle before I went for surgery, but I only managed the reading half. Now that I am recouped, I pm'd her tonight, and will take it over in the next few days.

An eye-opening and inspiring read. Thanks for sharing! Found The Big Issue quite interesting as well~~ nothing like it this side of the pond~~

**edited to add: took it to tostle/PaulsBooks yestereve

Journal Entry 28 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

1st book 1 lost in the post, 2nd Book 1 now on it's way to St Andrews. Maybe we'llget lucky and a postman will realise it's a bookcrossing book and read and release for us, who knows?

Journal Entry 29 by nediamnori87 from St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, March 04, 2010

I have the new book 1, and the BCID now and have already started reading it. So far a very inspiring read will let everyone know more when I finish!

Thanks to Karen07814 for sharing

Journal Entry 30 by nediamnori87 from St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 05, 2010

This is not a book I would have picked up to read for myself and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I thought the poetry was absolutely fantastic and really enjoyed it all I just wish our Big Issue sellers up here were like this author. I'll put some quotes in this post once I'm back home again.
I'm going to go and pick up a new magazine to include with the book as I'm waiting for the next person's address.
Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 31 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, March 06, 2010

Wow, I received this book last week and neglected to journal. Please forgive me! After reading the reviews, I am excited to read it!
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 32 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, April 05, 2010

(aka PaulsBooks)
Wow, what an interesting book. I am glad I had a chance to read it. Graham Walker seems like a very interesting person. I would love to see him write more!
Thanks for sharing this book in such an interesting fashion!
I will get this book moving again!

Journal Entry 33 by nediamnori87 at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 16, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (4/16/2010 UTC) at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom

Posted on to the next reader

Journal Entry 34 by Lizzy-stardust from Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, April 19, 2010

received this book in the post today. will start reading it tonight. Thanks!

Journal Entry 35 by Lizzy-stardust from Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, April 23, 2010

I finished this book last night and have to admit I was disappointed. While the author strikes me as a nice enough guy, I found his poetry terrible and his prose kind of self-pitying,n even though he stated early on in the book that it wasn't. I felt like, the tone he used to give reasons for his condition came of as excuses instead and I felt rather patronised by his attitude. As if, by wanting a good job and a nice house, I was somehow not as enlightened as he. Oh well. I guess every book is not everyone's cup of tea. Thanks for sharing it anyway!

T o be posted on to madmadge this tuesday when I am back in work. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 36 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Received Book One today - I'd forgotten all about it! It looks intriguing and has arrived at just the right time because I've almost finished my bedtime book. It will go on my bedside table tonight and I'll get stuck into it.

It came with a magazine cutting and a beautiful bookstring complete with a pussycat charm - was that from you Lizzy-stardust? If so, thank you very much and I shall treasure it.

Journal Entry 37 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

arrived today.

Journal Entry 38 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 01, 2010

Once I started reading this book I couldn't put it down. It made me laugh, it made me cry and it made me see things in a different way. There but for the grace of God go I! What a witty and eloquent man he is as well as being a caring soul and very generous. I wish I could meet him. I live in the South of England so I'll be keeping an eye out for him.

Thank you very much for including me in this ring - I'm so glad I read it.

PMing next in line and will send it on ASAP.

P.S. The magazine cutting was very interesting (and very appropriate to bookcrossers) and I will be sending it on to the next reader, together with a cutting of my own.

Journal Entry 39 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (5/5/2010 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

Off on its travels to TheDunedan in Lincolnshire. Safe journey little book.

I'm including a cutting which first led me to bookcrossing and a bookmark.

Journal Entry 40 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Changed my perspective a bit which I would guess is what it is supposewd to do.Had not heard of the big issue bewfore.Thanks for the enlightenment and for sharing.Will mail to PrettyPoodle within a week.

Journal Entry 41 by TheDunedan from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 06, 2010

Thank you I received the book this morning.

Journal Entry 42 by oldreader at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 14, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (5/14/2010 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

you have found a bookcrossing book.This is a free site that tracks the books as they travel.Please journal this when you find it and after reading.
You may remain anonymous.

on the way to next reader

Journal Entry 43 by PrettyPoodle from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, May 24, 2010

I actually got this book (number 2) late last week, I think Thursday, but I forgot to journal it....sorry! Life has been quite hectic here lately.

It looks very interesting and I do promise to get to it very soon, perhaps later this week.

Journal Entry 44 by PrettyPoodle at West Norriton, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, June 02, 2010

I read copy number 2.

I hate to say I enjoyed this book, but parts were really good and,quite honestly, enjoyable. I am really glad I had the chance to read this.

Thanks for doing this bookring.

Journal Entry 45 by TheDunedan at Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sorry I've been a bit slow with this book and doing the journal entry. I found it an interesting read and read it in one sitting.I have sent it on to Flutterbies.

Journal Entry 46 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Received safely today. This looks very interesting and I'm sure it will be read very soon, as soon as I've finished the ray book I'm in the middle of, that is. I've already read the little article enclosed with it!

Journal Entry 47 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, June 20, 2010

OK, this somehow found it's way to the top of the pile and was read out of sequence in my rings / rays. Very sad and very uplifting in turns. This was a special read and made more poignant for me since it is mostly set in the West Country where I have recently made my home.

No wish to spoil this for the next reader so I won't say more.

Many, many thanks to Karen07814 for organising this. In all probability it is not a book I would have thought about picking up but I'm ever so glad I joined this ring and have read this book (which is currently holding up well, condition wise).

As I was writing this my DH picked up the book and proceeded to read it! He finished it very quickly and really found it very worthwhile. He was comparing it with 'Down and Out in Paris' saying how little has changed from that time and country. So you have had two readers for the price of one in this house!!

Anne (Flutterbies9)

Journal Entry 48 by Flutterbies9 at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/22/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Already in the post for the next in line. I'm sure you'll find this as worthwhile reading as we did.

Journal Entry 49 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 25, 2010

Just arrived. I'll get started on this as soon as I'm finished my current book. I go on holiday next week so I'll email the next person for the address straight away so it's not held up.

Journal Entry 50 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 28, 2010

This took me through all the emotions. I started with understanding and sympathy, anger and lack of sympathy, and of course guilt! What I still don't understand is why he chose to be homeless on more than one occassion. For a man who's done so much for charity, his actions seem a little selfish - especially towards his family.

Journal Entry 51 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, July 03, 2010

There it is!

Journal Entry 52 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It was a good book. Very funny, but also written with feeling. Liked it a lot.

Journal Entry 53 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Saturday, July 24, 2010

Package arrived today. I will read it and pass it on. Great idea,thanks for including me. This is book 2 and the newspaper and magazine are still with it.

Journal Entry 54 by wingwhiskeyjanewing at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Thursday, July 29, 2010

Book arrived safely today. Interesting! Have PM'd the next on the ring and will put in the mail on Monday.

Journal Entry 55 by wingwhiskeyjanewing at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Tuesday, August 03, 2010

What a story! I was hooked from page one. Sending to next reader, along with the accompanying newspapers. Book Two.

Journal Entry 56 by wingwhiskeyjanewing at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (8/3/2010 UTC) at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

In the mail to oliviapoolside, next reader on the list.

Journal Entry 57 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, August 29, 2010

Received this for a bookring. Don't remember joining but that is OK, I'll read and pass on.

Journal Entry 58 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, September 01, 2010

I've just sent this one on to franaloe. Please enjoy!

Journal Entry 59 by franaloe at Texel, Oudeschild, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, September 02, 2010

BOOK ONE
Got it! I was already wondering when I had registered for this book, and who sent it to me (I did not get a PM in advance), but now I see that this is the mystery ring. That one I do remember. Thanks! It definitely looks interesting, so thank you so much karen07814, for this book really just triggered my curiosity! Let's see what it brings...

Journal Entry 60 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, September 03, 2010

Very interesting little book. So this publication,"The Big Issue", I was unaware of this publication but as I read I realized that the lady who sits outside the local PCC grocery store is probably selling The Big Issue or something similar. I've never spoken to her except a "hello, how are you today", I avoid anyone who looks like they are selling something. I must admit I am curious now and am going to see just what she is selling.
I had sympathy for the author and I can admire the adult he turned into, although I am saddened that his past was so painful that he can't spend more than a few hours with his children and siblings before he has to leave. He leaves all the towns he goes to as well, staying put is not something he does. But who can judge another life? I am glad that he has done all the good that he has done.
I don't know who Pete the Brush is (maybe the author himself?) but he is a talented illustrator. The poetry that the author writes is really terrific, laugh out loud funny, or very very moving. But my favorite part of the book is the letter to the author from a child at the Knowler-Hill School. You just gotta laugh!
Oh, I also read The Big Issue and thought it was a good publication. I'll be sending it on with the book.

Journal Entry 61 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, September 03, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/3/2010 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Sent to NMReader who is next on the bookring.

Journal Entry 62 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Friday, September 10, 2010

I received this book and am looking forward to reading it.

Thanks

Journal Entry 63 by franaloe at Texel, Oudeschild, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nice little book. Thanks for sharing! It is good to read that some people, harmed and traumatised as they are, end up being (relatively) happy and can find such a positive way to deal with life. Thanks for sharing!

Meg72 has not ye responded on my PM. I'll try once more before I skip to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 64 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

This was an interesting book especially as I recently finished How to Live on Just A Pound a Day which is centered in Bristol. The contrast between Graham and Kath was quite interesting.

I enjoyed the book and also felt it tied in well with another recent read Letters My Mother Never Read

The book was well written, had breaks that made it easy to pick up and put down as reading time allowed.

I also enjoyed looking through the magazines that accompanied the book

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 65 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/14/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I will drop at the post office on my way home from work today.

Delivery Confirmation #: 0309 3220 0001 9885 1232

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 66 by franaloe at Texel, Oudeschild, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The book (nr 1) is now on its way to Meg72 in Portugal.
Thanks for sharing this karen07814!

Journal Entry 67 by Poobah1 at Lake Elmo, Minnesota USA on Monday, September 20, 2010

Book and magazine arrived safely in Minnesota today. I had pretty much forgotten about signing up for the surprise bookring. Fun! We'll see what it brings.

Journal Entry 68 by Poobah1 at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, September 24, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/24/2010 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

(Ring 2) What an unusual little read. Interesting guy and his outlook is remarkable in light of the life he's lead. I wish him and others well. Thanks for including me on this mystery RING. I'll get if off to the next reader in line on Monday 9/27/10.

Cheers,
Poobah1 :^)

Books…Love ‘em and Leave ‘em.

Planned mailing on Wed 9/29/2010 to amcamp1644.

Edited: It was returned to me once for add'l postage as it was opened by USPS and inspected (right in my town). Apparently the newspapers included are *not* considered media????? I retagged it and sent it on its merry way. This was on Thursday, Sept 30th. Soon to be with amcamp1644, I'm sure.

Journal Entry 69 by Meg72 at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Saturday, October 09, 2010

I don´t think I have encountered anything like this before... But I´m quite curious!

Journal Entry 70 by amcamp1644 at Wheaton, Maryland USA on Thursday, October 14, 2010

Just got it 2 days ago. Thanks!

Journal Entry 71 by Meg72 at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Sunday, October 24, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/26/2010 UTC) at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal

How can one person endure so much and still be able to see the bright side of life? We sometimes complain about little things and easily forget that there are people in really hard situations, that don´t have even have half of what we have. True food for thought. I hope Graham is well... Keep on inspiring others!

Journal Entry 72 by wingauweiawing at Friedberg, Hessen Germany on Thursday, November 04, 2010

I received this book yesterday . Its a very surprising book because I couldn´t remember participating this ring ;-)))

edit : very interesting and encouraging story, thank you very much for this *surprise* !

Journal Entry 73 by wingauweiawing at Friedberg, Hessen Germany on Monday, November 15, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (11/16/2010 UTC) at Friedberg, Hessen Germany

on the way to kiki, hope you enjoy it :-)

Journal Entry 74 by wingkiki66wing at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

total surprise as I had totally forgotten about this one! ;-)

I held it in my hands and thought 'what's that????'

Well, now I know and now I will read it with interest!

Edit to say, that the book is still here (14.12.10) - there was a ring before it.. but now
I am into it 'full force'...
Will pm ecossaise for her address!
Edit 28/12/10: still no response from ecossaise.. I'll give up after this try and pm the next one in line!
Jan 03rd/11: well no luck with ecossaise and I see that gwenifar is absolutely inactive.. so I pm'd now third person in line.. sorry for the delay but I couldn't help it!

Journal Entry 75 by amcamp1644 at Wheaton, Maryland USA on Sunday, November 28, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (11/24/2010 UTC) at Wheaton, Maryland USA

Put book 1 in the mail for the next person. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 76 by faramir10 at Snyder, Texas USA on Monday, November 29, 2010

Book has arrived. Thank you. And thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 77 by faramir10 at Snyder, Texas USA on Friday, December 03, 2010

What an incredible story! I couldn't put it down. Thanks so much for sharing.

Will be mailed to the next person tomorrow.

Journal Entry 78 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Thursday, December 09, 2010

Received Book 2 in the mail. Will try to read asap, but no promises, with the holidays fast approaching!!! Thanks for sending and including me.

Journal Entry 79 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, December 12, 2010

I have the next person's address and will mail out next week.

Journal Entry 80 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (12/14/2010 UTC) at Waldwick, New Jersey USA

Book # 2 left NJ today to continue its journey to Pa. Thanks for sending and for including me. Happy Holidays to all!!!!!!

Journal Entry 81 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Monday, January 03, 2011

Received...and already reading. Will pm the next in line for addy. Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 82 by wingkiki66wing at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

now this will be finally on its way to grovalskii in Berlin tomorrow (Jan 05th)...

after I had three unsuccessful tries with the readers after me :-(

***Book One***

Journal Entry 83 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Thursday, January 06, 2011

Finished reading this book last night and it is already on it's way to the next in line. Thanks for including me.
DC# 0310 2010 0001 7881 0277

Journal Entry 84 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Thursday, January 06, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (1/5/2011 UTC) at Villa Rica, Georgia USA

mailed today

Journal Entry 85 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, January 06, 2011

Ah, the mystery book arrived! Looks really interesting and I can't wait to read it. Have 2 books ahead of this one, but it shouldn't take me too long to get it read.

Journal Entry 86 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Sunday, January 09, 2011

I got this in the mail yesterday. It seems interesting even though I don't like the beginning. I hope this book gets going soon to the premise. Although it is short enough.

Journal Entry 87 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Friday, January 14, 2011

***Book One***

Wow, what a book. Quite an insight into the life of a homeless, why he got there and why is is staying there. Well, sort of homeless in the end. It makes me want to dig more into the subject, because this is quite a different note than "don't give money to homeless and beggars because they will just spend the money on drugs and alcohol". We don't have "The Big Issue" sellars in Berlin, but we have people selling other papers.

THe book will go to Greece next, I already have the address.

Journal Entry 88 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Sunday, January 16, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (1/17/2011 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

will mail the book to Tiffany1972 tomorrow morning

Journal Entry 89 by ghaweyn at Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The book was okay. The inside of the book doesn't have much to do with the back of the book. I was more interested in hearing about the newspaper and his inserts, which we never hear about. That's all I'll say so I don't ruin it. And maybe it's because I'm not British, but half the time I had no idea what he was talking about. For now on, if I don't know the title beforehand, I'll just pass. Thanks anyway for the chance to read this book.

I will mail this once I have the next person's address.

Journal Entry 90 by TIFFANY1972 at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, February 03, 2011

Good morning to you all from cold & rainy Athens, Greece!

I received the little book (Book One) yesterday afternoon (2/2). Looks rather interesting. Also loved the article in the first page of the book , about a bookaholic young woman.
A big thanks to karen07814 and to grovalskii, for giving me the opportunity to join the "surprise" ring.

I'm requesting the next reader's (Panzeranzi in Sweden) address & all, right away.

Journal Entry 91 by TIFFANY1972 at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, March 17, 2011

For book #1:
I read it & I really liked it a lot!
Graham is an amazing person and reading about his life made me think of so many wonderful people that are homeless and for whom we don't bother to learn one or 2 things concerning their lives or the reason that got them into that particular situation.
I absolutely loved his poems & hope deeply that he's doing OK, every minute of every day.
All the people that have known him are soooooooo blessed!!!

But, I have 1 question: The Big Issue is a magazine or something? You see, here in Greece we haven't heard of it.

Thanks again, for the opportunity you gave me - to read such a good book for such an extraordinary character :-)))

One more thing: I pm-ed Panzeranzi ->she requested to be skipped from the list because she's very busy moving to another house, so I pm-ed babelfisk (the next person) just now.

Journal Entry 92 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Friday, April 08, 2011

Book one just arrived together with The Big Issue.
I'll start reading tonight and I'll PM Sarahmuh for the address.

I don't know if the "extras" are ment for me or if they're travelling with the book all the time. Thanks anyway!!

Journal Entry 93 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Sunday, April 17, 2011

A wonderful book! Lovely and horrible and sometimes almost unbearable. I cried when I read the last chapter!

Journal Entry 94 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Monday, April 25, 2011

I have been waiting for Sarahmuh to contact me but she has not. Now I have PM-ed fremmedordbok in Norway and hopefully I'll be able to send her the book within this week. Sorry about the delay!

Journal Entry 95 by kiyoteefoxx at Littlestown, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Was expecting this book quite a while ago but it only recently arrived. Good thing it did because I think it was lost once all ready :)

Makes me wish I was able to purchase the Big Issue. Of course, now that I know what the Big Issue is and who sells it, I've seen mention of it in other things I've read. :) Now I'm one of the informed Yanks ;)

As soon as I get the next address its going to move on. Thanks for including me

Journal Entry 96 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Thursday, May 12, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (5/12/2011 UTC) at Jönköping, Småland Sweden

Finally! I'm sorry for the delay. I couldn't get any contact with Sarahmuh so now it's on it's way to Fremmedordbok.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 97 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, May 26, 2011

Book #2 (with the magazine) is at my house. Added to the TBR shelf to be read after the book I'm in the middle of. Thanks!

Journal Entry 98 by Fremmedordbok at Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway on Friday, May 27, 2011

Book one:
This package arrived a couple of days ago, but I have been away on a conference. A great surprise to come home to!

I will try to read it during the weekend, but due to exams it might take me a wee bit longer. Looking forward to it - it looks really interesting, especially from reading some of the other journals!

Thanks, babelfish, for sending me both the book and the magazine, as well as a bonus book and some nice smaller stuff that I'll pass on!

Journal Entry 99 by Fremmedordbok at Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway on Saturday, June 11, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (6/11/2011 UTC) at Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway

The book is now read, and I loved it! It was a great read, and also a book which gives new perspectives.

I will pass the book on to Shelj7k today!

Thanks for arranging this exciting and a bit secret ring!

Journal Entry 100 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, June 17, 2011

On the second round list - Starting to read the book, now that I'm back from my travels (I was afraid I would lose it, so waited until I was back home to start it). PM'g the next in line.

1 2 Next