corner corner Reasons to Live

Reasons to Live
by Amy Hempel | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingdavemurray101wing of Granville, New South Wales Australia on 10/26/2009

status (set by 1001-library): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingdavemurray101wing from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 26, 2009

Hempel's now-classic collection of short fiction is peopled by complex characters who have discovered that their safety nets are not dependable and who must now learn to balance on the threads of wit, irony, and spirit.

Journal Entry 2 by wingdavemurray101wing from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 26, 2009

A curious addition to the 1001 books. Some strange stories and strange characters that have a remarkable realistic feel.

Journal Entry 3 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Thanks so much for your donation davemurray101!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 4 by wingdavemurray101wing at 1001-library Member, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/24/2010 UTC) at 1001-library Member, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Posted to kobie03 of Newfoundland this afternoon.

Journal Entry 5 by kobie03 from Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Book arrived today with a beautiful postcard. Thanks so much. I'll look for another reader when I've read it.

Journal Entry 6 by kobie03 at Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Friday, July 02, 2010

Enjoyed these short stories. A brief glimpse into complex lives.

Journal Entry 7 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 06, 2010

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing kobie03:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 8 by kobie03 at Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Friday, February 11, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (2/11/2011 UTC) at Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada

mailed to heaven150

Journal Entry 9 by Heaven150 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Received today. Thank you so much. Will start reading it shortly.

Journal Entry 10 by Heaven150 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, March 11, 2011

While I liked this book, it wasn't fabulous for me. I love short stories. These were more like eavesdropping on people's conversations. Some longer than others. I was curious for more. Some of the stories were very good. Others just a bit weird. All in all not too bad, I just wasn't wowed.

This is now available to other 1001-library members

Journal Entry 11 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, April 10, 2011

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Heaven150:)

Journal Entry 12 by Heaven150 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (12/11/2011 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Mailed out to Flewry as part of the 1001-library VBB. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 13 by flewry at St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Monday, January 02, 2012

It's here! Thanks so much! Amy Hempel has been on my radar for years. She was recommended to me because I also enjoy Aimee Bender. So pleased to finally have the opportunity to read this.

Journal Entry 14 by flewry at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Friday, April 14, 2017

WOW. I read this about two years ago, and I could have sworn I remembered journaling it, but I see I did not. My bad.

This goes in the "liked it, didn't love it" category for me. I love short stories and this was a quick read, but there was nothing here that I found particularly powerful or memorable.

Journal Entry 15 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, April 15, 2017

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing flewry:)