corner corner The Driver's Seat

The Driver's Seat
by Muriel Spark | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAaltsjewing of Terschelling West, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, October 24, 2009

status (set by Vasha): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingAaltsjewing from Terschelling West, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hallo daar, vinder! Als je dit leest, heb je een boek gevonden.

Gefeliciteerd! Hopelijk is het iets dat je leuk vindt; zo niet, dan heeft
het je toch tenminste hier gebracht en dat is ook wat waard. Je mag het
boek gerust doorgeven aan iemand anders, of zomaar ergens achterlaten.

Ondertussen was je toch maar mooi nieuwsgierig genoeg om op deze site te
komen kijken en dat vind ik erg leuk. Kijk gerust wat rond. Veel plezier!

Als je het boek verder wilt volgen geef je dan op bij www.bookcrossing.com
(engelse site).

Oh ja, er is ook een Nederlandse website (www.bookcrossing.nl) waar veel
van je mogelijke vragen beantwoord kunnen worden

Journal Entry 2 by wingAaltsjewing at OBCZ-Dammesaan in Terschelling Midsland, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, September 17, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (9/18/2010 UTC) at OBCZ-Dammesaan in Terschelling Midsland, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Mee naar de meeting

Journal Entry 3 by wingAaltsjewing at OBCZ ons Huis in Terschelling West, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, September 18, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (9/19/2010 UTC) at OBCZ ons Huis in Terschelling West, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Meegenomen van de meeting in de Dammesaan.
Gaat nu in de voorraad van OBCZ Ons Huis.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAaltsjewing at Camden Court Hotel in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/14/2012 UTC) at Camden Court Hotel in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

took the book to the convention in Dublin

Journal Entry 5 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Sunday, April 15, 2012

A pick up in the park!

Journal Entry 6 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, April 19, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (4/19/2012 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

On your wishlist!

Journal Entry 7 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Thank you so much Deepswamp, the book arrived today. What a nice surprise!

Journal Entry 8 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Sunday, May 27, 2012

A very quick read and rather odd story, but quite enjoyable!
Sending on to Oppem as a Wishlist Tag book.

Journal Entry 9 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 28, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/28/2012 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Tagged!

Journal Entry 10 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Thanks once again for tagging me.
I look forward to reading this Muriel Spark novella...

Journal Entry 11 by wingelizardbreathwing at Pendleton, Oregon USA on Monday, July 02, 2012

Oppem, the Bookcrosser who previously journalled this book, passed away on June 23, 2012. I had the privilege of meeting her dear family and "catching" her large collection of registered books. I will be releasing this one soon.

Journal Entry 12 by wingelizardbreathwing at A Fellow Bookcrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 09, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (7/9/2012 UTC) at A Fellow Bookcrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sending, by request, to Vasha. Enjoy!

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 13 by wingVashawing at Ithaca, New York USA on Friday, July 20, 2012

First published 1970.

In this short novel, the narrative is told in terse present-tense sentences with minimal adjectival intrusion, as if deliberately foregoing the novelist’s traditional powers. Yet, Muriel Spark brings her own characteristic sense of anticipation when, very early on, she lets us know that her heroine, Lise, an office worker on vacation somewhere in southern Europe, is going to die. It would be easy to conclude that Lise plans her own destruction from the outset — at the climax of the novel she is the one in the driver’s seat, telling her reluctant murderer to tie her hands then stab her. Yet nothing could be further from the truth. Lise, as Spark says at one point, has “no definite plans.” However, she is certainly looking for something from the outset, whether we call it satisfaction, control, or a voice, It only gradually becomes apparent to her that what she is looking for amounts to her own death. For only in death do we truly attain our own voice, only here are we free from the claims and demands of others, only here, as we cease to be, can we experience a paradoxical fullness of being.

Interviewed about the novel, Spark once said that the book had given her a terrific shock. The shock was perhaps the same that Freud felt when he discovered the death drive, but for the novelist, whose work ultimately relies on finding a voice, there is a cruel irony in the realization that this might only be discovered at the moment of final loss, in death.
— Philip Terry in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die