corner corner Fast Food Nation: What the All-American Meal is Doing to the World

Fast Food Nation: What the All-American Meal is Doing to the World
by Eric Schlosser | Nonfiction
Registered by samulli of Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Thursday, October 22, 2009

status (set by Mizuchy): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Thursday, October 22, 2009

I found this book in one of my favorite used book stores in London. I'm not much of a fast food junkie anyway, but neither do I actively hate the stuff, but for 50p I thought I could give the book a try.

It wasn't quite what I expected. Schlosser starts off with a history of the major fast food brands and of the invention of fast food generally and how it developed into a major business in America. It is scary to see how much influence the FF companies nowadays have over political decisions there.
Then he goes on to expound on how the big producers and manufacturers (mainly of potatoes and meat) crowd out the little family-owned businesses, which is lamentable, but surely not limited to the fast food business.
Some of the facts I found quite interesting, others downright disgusting. I really, really hope that conditions in european slaughterhouses are a lot better regulated and monitored than what he describes of american ones. I'm really not too fond of having shit and/or human body parts included in my meat, thank you.

All in all it is quite a sobering read, but I didn't much care for the writing style. Considering Schlosser is a journalist I had hoped for a more concise style and not only anecdotal examples, but real statistics to prove his facts. Instead he focuses on seemingly randomly chosen people whose sob stories he tells, throws around statistics that have nothing whatsoever to do with the question at hand and generally waffles on too long about points that I already got, like, 10 pages ago.
Not saying the book was badly written, but it could have been vastly better, shorter, more to the point.

But since I think the gist of it is pretty important food for thought, so to speak, I have decided to share this book with as many people as possible. So this is going out as a bookray.

List of participants:
Jonniboi (UK)
Tregossip (UK)
milly1401 (UK)
...

Journal Entry 2 by samulli at by mail, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 29, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/28/2009 UTC) at by mail, by mail -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the first participant.

Journal Entry 3 by glitterbee from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Sunday, November 01, 2009

I received the book yesterday and I am looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by glitterbee from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Saturday, January 02, 2010

I finally finished the book, my apologies for the delay. It took me longer than usual to read this book, though not because it was uninteresting. Quite the contrary, I am glad I had the chance to read it, as it changed my attitude towards meat consumption. Not that I want to become a vegetarian now, but I do eat a lot less meat after reading this book. As samulli already said, I hope the conditions in European slaughterhouses are better regulated and monitored!

I do realize that Schlosser wants exactly that, make people aware of the conditions and and ultimately change their consumer behavior. Well, it is working with me. I liked the writing style, I find that giving examples of individuals makes it more lively and easy to follow. And he does provide extensive notes and a bibliography at the end of the book.
_______________________________________________________________

GronnLivsstil asked to be skipped, I am now waiting to hear from Mizuchy to send the book on its way.

Journal Entry 5 by glitterbee at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 08, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/8/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

The book is now on it's way to Romania.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by Mizuchy from Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania and Partium Romania on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

I got it last week, sorry for taking so long to journal it. Will try and read it asap. Thank you for sharing!