corner corner The Color of My Words

The Color of My Words
by Lynn Joseph | Literature & Fiction
Registered by ealasaidmae of New Orleans, Louisiana USA on 10/17/2009

status (set by erishkigal): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Saturday, October 17, 2009

from the inside cover:

"Ana Rosa is a blossoming young writer growing up in a poor seaside village in the Dominican Republic. At twelve, she finds herself faced with turning points that will make up who she is - watching her brother's search for a future, learning to dance and to love, and finding out what it means to be a part of a community.

But in a country where words are feared, Ana Rosa must struggle to find her own voice and the means for it to be heard. Gradually she learns that her words have the power to transform the world around her - celebrating what is most beautiful on her island and transcending even the most unthinkable of tragedies.

This debut novel from poet Lynn Joseph is a lush and lyrical journey into the landscape and culture of the Dominican Republic. THE COLOR OF MY WORDS explores the pain and the poetry behind what it means to be part of a family, what it takes to find your place in the world - and what it feels like to write it all down."

Journal Entry 2 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Sunday, June 13, 2010

This is a lovely little book, not at all what I'd expected. I thought I'd read it quickly but found myself deliberately slowing down to enjoy the language. Ana Rosa is a captivating storyteller with the talent of giving her reader a complete vicarious experience; all of the colors, sights, sounds, smells around her come alive. This is another treasure that I picked up on a whim at the library sale. I'd never heard of the author but was pleased by the cover and intrigued by the setting in the Dominican Republic. Huzzah for the library sale!

Journal Entry 3 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

IT'S A BOOKRAY!

*Please journal the book when you receive it
*Try to read the book within a month. If you need more time, just post a journal entry so we all know what's happening.
*Journal again when you mail the book on
*Please tell us what you thought!

This is our list, still under construction:

Haugtussa (Nor/Eur)
Annimanni (Fin/Int'l)
katrinat (UK/Int'l)
aunt-sophie (Can/NA)
Erishkigal (US/NA or Int'l) <--book is here
Ri (US/NA or Int'l)

Journal Entry 4 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/29/2010 UTC) at St. Albans, West Virginia USA

and we're off...

Journal Entry 5 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, July 12, 2010

...and the book waited for me when I got back from a short holiday in Denmark. I look forward to read it, and since it is a short book I'll probably be able to squeeze it in between the bricks I'm reading at the moment!

Journal Entry 6 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I really enjoyed this book. I was just supposed to flick through it ... and ended up reading it in one sitting!
Ana Rosa is a wonderful little girl to follow, nice reflections about life and the way her family lives the village life. Papi on the porch, washdays with Mami including some heart to heart talk, and of course big brother Guario - her all time hero.
Lovely language, and nice poems.

Thbak you very much for sharing.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The book has arrived in Finland, thank you! I'll get to it shortly.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, July 26, 2010

I thoroughly agree with the previous journallers: this is a little gem of a book. The language is beautiful and I, too, slowed down and even re-read some passages just to savour the poetic images and novel ways of describing the surroundings, the people, everything really. A lovely, lovely read. Thank you for sharing, ealasaidmae!

Will post to katrinat as soon as I get her address.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I just noticed that this book still appears on my shelf even though I sent it onwards to katrinat ages ago. I'll PM her right away!

Journal Entry 10 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, September 19, 2010

sorry to have kept this so long. I think it arrived while i was on holiday and missed getting journaled. I sat down to read it this evening and finished it in one sitting. A lovely little book, and although written for children covers adult worries. A gorgeous cover as well. Will get the next address asap.

Journal Entry 11 by VSP-560485 at Gatineau, Québec Canada on Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I received this yesterday. I should be able to read it over the Holidays, and pass it on at the beginning of the New Year.

Journal Entry 12 by VSP-560485 at Gatineau, Québec Canada on Sunday, January 30, 2011

This short novel is about very simple events of daily life, with its beauties and its tragedies, as seen by a young girl. The author is very good at seeing things from the girl’s perspective, so that we can feel the huge importance some small events take at this crucial stage of her life. This is a book I enjoyed a lot!

I did not mean to keep it so long, but there were problems with PMs (again!), and it took me a while to get hold of the next person. Hopefully it will be on the way to Erishkigal sometime over the next week. (mailed on Feb 9)

Journal Entry 13 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, February 17, 2011

It has arrived in today's mail~perfect timing, as I just finished another ring~