corner corner Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, Book 1)

Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, Book 1)
by Orson Scott Card | Literature & Fiction
Registered by N8an of Ottawa, Ontario Canada on 6/15/2003

status (set by N8an): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by N8an from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Sunday, June 15, 2003

I quite liked "Ender's Game," but balked at the rest of the series, and then read "Enchantment" and "Home Body," and decided I quite preferred Card in fantasy. So, when this was available for free at Book Expo Canada '03, I nabbed it!

It is very good, and I daresay I'll be hunting up the rest of the series if I can. Basically, Alvin is born the seventh son of a seventh son, and has incredible 'knacks' for making things. Be it stonecutting, weaving, or otherwise. But he has an enemy, an 'unmaker,' who is trying to destroy the child. An unseen protector does its best as well, but can Alvin make it out of childhood alive?

This story takes place in an alternate pre-confederation America, where hexes and knacks are as commonplace (and functional) as religion and the birth of the age of reason. Priesthoods, angels, devils, witches, puritans, and pagans abound in this fabulous story. Give it a shot!

Journal Entry 2 by N8an at Scotiabank at Bronson and Somorset in Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 13, 2003

Released on Monday, October 13, 2003 at Scotiabank at Bronson and Somorset, near an ATM in Ottawa, Ontario Canada.

Need to get some money for my evening out tonight, and thought I'd leave this behind in the process. Mayhap someone else will get hooked by this series.