corner corner The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind
by Carlos Ruiz Zafón | Literature & Fiction
Registered by bobbarama of Carlsbad, California USA on 10/11/2009

status (set by Fremmedordbok): available

Journal Entry 1 by bobbarama from Carlsbad, California USA on Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Take: A can't-put-it-down mystery about a young man chasing rumors of a horribly disfigured man bent on burning every book he can find by an obscure author. Mesmerizing storytelling and prose. A femme fatale. A colorful cast of characters. Jaw-dropping reveals. Gothic-like turns. Post-war Barcelona as the backdrop. And one of the most unforgettable secondary characters you'll ever meet in bawdy, womanizing, ex-street begger Fermin Romero de Torres. Great fun.

Journal Entry 2 by bobbarama from Carlsbad, California USA on Friday, October 23, 2009

The Shadow of the Wind (International ray)

Please log an entry when you get the book, when you're done reading it, and when you mail it forward.

Enjoy.

Mailing order:

Moeshell ... Texas
bobbarama ... California
ckochlourens ... Canada
jax987654321 ... Greater London
mafarrimond ... Wales ... May 15
Fremmedordbok ... Norway

Journal Entry 3 by bobbarama at Richardson, Texas USA on Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/3/2009 UTC) at Richardson, Texas USA

We're under way. I mailed the book this morning to Moeshell. She's got a few books ahead of us. Please be patient.

It's a wonderful book. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 4 by Moeshell from Richardson, Texas USA on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I received this in the mail yesterday. This one is third from the top of my Mt TBR for bookrings/rays. Thanks for the book. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by Moeshell from Richardson, Texas USA on Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I don't know what praise I can give this book that others haven't already. I just thought the book was beautiful and captivating!!! I will have to get a copy of my own so that I can reread this one.

Journal Entry 6 by Moeshell at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (12/30/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Book is on its merry way... out of my hands before the new year =)

Thanks for sharing
Happy Reading!!

Journal Entry 7 by bobbarama from Carlsbad, California USA on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The book hit the Bobbarama Way Station this morning. It's now on its way north ... from the winter warmth of Southern California to the winter cold of Canada.

Brrrrrr.

Bundle up, stay warm, ckochlourens. I worry about you up there.

(Thank you, Moeshell.)

Journal Entry 8 by pinkoeria from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 13, 2010

This arrived in the mail today, thanks! I am so looking forward to reading it, I am almost done the book I am reading right now and after that I will start this one. Thank you as well for the hilarious card. Must be nice to live in California :-).

Journal Entry 9 by pinkoeria from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 16, 2010

I am starting to read this book today. I think it'll take me about a week to read, judging from the thickness of the book.

Journal Entry 10 by pinkoeria from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wow! What an amazing book! I just couldn't put it down. It was so well written... It reminded me once again of how much I love Spanish / Latin American writers. The almost supernatural, the mystery...it's just wonderful. Of course there were also a few very horrific passages. The death of Penelope, for example, made me almost throw up, that was terribly disturbing. But I finished the book with a smile and a few tears.
Now I have to get my own copy, so I can read it again and again.

I will send this book on its way as soon as I have received the address of the person below me on the list.

Journal Entry 11 by pinkoeria at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/27/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent it off to the next person on the list. I sent it by surface mail, so it may take a while to get there.

Journal Entry 12 by wingjax987654321wing from Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, March 08, 2010

It arrived today after an adventure across the pond. The packaging got a bit torn and it arrived in a "sorry it got damaged" plastic bag, but the book is fine. I am in the process of reading another ring, so will read this after that. (don't you love it when 3 books turn up about the same time!)

Journal Entry 13 by wingjax987654321wing from Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 07, 2010

It's 2am and I have just finished reading this. I found it an excellent book, totally compelling. Have already pm'd the next person so hopefuly will be on its way very soon. Oh yes and I also loved Fermin!

Journal Entry 14 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, May 15, 2010

The book has arrived safely. I will read as soon as I am able.

Journal Entry 15 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I was somewhat sorry to finish this book. I really enjoyed reading it I love the idea of a cemetry of forgotton books - how wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 16 by mafarrimond at Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway on Sunday, June 20, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/21/2010 UTC) at Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway

Posting on to Fremmedordbok. Hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

Journal Entry 17 by Fremmedordbok at Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

I am so sorry that it took so long to inform you that the book is safe and sound, but I've been out travelling! Now I'm back, happy to see a new book in my mailbox!

And luckily, I just finished off another ring, so I'll get to this one pretty quickly!

Thanks for sending and arranging!

Journal Entry 18 by Fremmedordbok at Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway on Thursday, January 13, 2011

I have no idea why, but I started reading the book last summer, and for some kind of reason, it just drowned in thousands of other things to read. Then I finally remembered again shortly before Christmas.

It has taken some time to get through it, due to travelling and Christmas and such things, but then again it just makes this wonderful book last longer! I have been wondering for weeks what was gong to happen to the fascinating characters of the book.

Zafón's style of writing is also very capturing.

As far as I can see, no one is waiting for this book, so I might just give it on to a friend who was interested! Please send me a PM if I am wrong, and should pass it on to someone!

bobbarama: thanks for arranging!