corner corner MYSTERY FOR CHRISTMAS

MYSTERY FOR CHRISTMAS
by Richard Dalby | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by katiesmama of Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, October 11, 2009

status (set by veer23): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by katiesmama from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, October 11, 2009

A book of Christmas Short Stories (Mysteries).....from the back cover: Ghosts, murders, bizarre disappearances and journeys back through time-every conceivable type of mystery can be found within these pages, but they all have one thing in common: they take place during the short days and dark nights, the festivities and tensions of Christmas time..........
An HGG surprise for Chamonix:) Happy reading and Happy Holidays!!

Journal Entry 2 by katiesmama from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, October 30, 2009

On it's way.........Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, November 05, 2009

Wow! This book sounds great and just the perfect choice for me, fulfilling so many wishes. I love Christmas stories, I love thrillers and ghost stories, and I love books of short stories!This books has all of them! Thank you katiesmama for this great gift for HGG. I love it. Thank you also for the other two great books that you sent and the most beautiful Christmas card which is already on display on top of our printer!

Contents: Foreword / Richard Dalby -- The black veil / Charles Dickens -- The banshee's warning / Mrs. J.H. Riddell -- The citizen's watch / Erckmann-Chatrian -- What the shepherd saw / Thomas Hardy -- The picture puzzle / Edward Lucas White -- Ellison's Christmas dinner / Dolf Wyllarde -- Marwood's ghost story / Marjorie Bowen -- The man who came back / Margery Lawrence -- The Chinese apple / Joseph Shearing -- Diary of a poltergeist / Ronald Duncan -- The leaf-sweeper / Muriel Spark -- The illuminated office / Derek Stanford -- The case of the seven Santas / H.R.F. Keating -- Mage of the monkeys / Sydney J. Bounds -- Nostalgia / Maggie Ross -- The reluctant murderer / Roger F. Dunkley -- Cyanide for Christmas / John S. Glasby -- The cloak of DeSouvre / Elizabeth Fancett -- The soldier / Roger Johnson -- The case of the fiery messengers / Ron Weighell -- The codex / David G. Rowlands -- Peace on earth, goodwill to most men / John Whitbourn -- Christmas rose / Mary Williams.

Summary:
Twenty-three stories on murder, mystery and the supernatural, against a backdrop of the season of peace and goodwill. They are written by authors, both ancient and modern. By the editor of Ghosts for Christmas.

Journal Entry 4 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, November 09, 2009

I have read the first story in this book:
"The Black Veil" by Charles Dickens (1836)

Dickens was a great author and I love his writing style. He could say so much in just a few lines. This was a strange story. Not scary, but interesting, and I was curious to read to the end of the story to see what the surgeon would find in the room. (You'll know what I mean once you have read it)! I didn't realise that the writing in this book is so very small! So I have decided to read a story from the book every now and again until it is finished, and that will mean mainly daytime reading, because I can read smaller print only in daylight. This story had only 11 pages, but in normal sized print that would be about 22 pages. It was a nice beginning to this book of short stories!

Edgar Allan Poe described this story by Charles Dickens as "one of the most forcible things ever written . . .a strangely pathetic & richly imaginative production, replete with the loftiest tragic power."

Journal Entry 5 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, November 23, 2009

I have read a few more of these stories.
"The Banshee's Warning" by Mrs J.H.Riddell

This story I found to be quite scary. Just the thought of a banshee frightens me!

"The Citizen's Watch" by Erckmann-Chatrian

I enjoyed reading this one. I would not have liked to live in 1832 like the people in this story.

"What The Shepherd Saw"

I found this one quite interesting up to a certain point, and then not. It had a disappointing ending.

"The Picture Puzzle" by Edward Lucas White

I really liked this one.

"Ellison's Christmas Dinner" by Dolf Wyllarde
Another good one. A bit gruesome!

More reviews to come....

Journal Entry 6 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, December 07, 2009

Marwood's Ghost Story by Marjorie Bowen
This is a very short story about Marwood who wanted to write a ghost story. One night he thought there were ghosts outside his house and he heard wailing, but it turned out to be a group of carol singers!.

Journal Entry 7 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, January 10, 2010

"The Man Who Came Back" by Margery Lawrence
After reading this story, now I remember why I don't/won't go to a seance!

Journal Entry 8 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, January 14, 2010

"The Chinese Apple" by Joseph Shearing (Real name Marjorie Bowen)
This was a good story, and only after reading it to the end do you realise this. I think Mrs. Crosland had a lucky escape!

"Diary of a Poltergeist" by Ronald Duncan
This story started off really well and I was really enjoying it, but then it got a bit silly. The concept of the story is scary. Can you really be dead and not realise it, because to yourself you still appear to be alive, but no one can see you or hear you? Scary!

"The Leaf Sweeper" by Muriel Spark
I'm not sure if I liked this story or not. The concept was good but the story leaves no impressions on me.

Journal Entry 9 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, January 14, 2010

"The Illuminated Office" by Derek Stanford
I didn't think much of this story at all. Maybe it is because I read it during the TV commercials, and I wasn't really concentrating on it. Someone else might see more in it than I did.

Journal Entry 10 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Case Of The Seven Santa's by H.R.F. Keating
A short who-done-it murder mystery with a really slow police inspector investigating it. The other people in this story find the murderer for him in the end!

I quite liked this story about a magic spell which was put on someone.

Journal Entry 11 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, February 26, 2010

"Nostalgia" by Maggie Ross
I liked this story and I found the ending quite creepy!
"The Reluctant Murderer" by Roger F. Dunkley
I didn't find this story very interesting.

Journal Entry 12 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cyanide For Christmas by John S. Glasby
I thought this story was good. I was so interested to read to the end. I was a bit disappointed with the ending. It kept me interested! It reminded me of Agatha Christie's style of writing.

The Cloak Of DeSouvre by Elizabeth Fancett
I really liked this one. The concept of this story was good. I wish it had gone on longer.

Journal Entry 13 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, March 04, 2010

"The Soldier" by Roger Johnson
I liked this story. I thought it was a bit sad.

"The Case Of The Fiery Messengers" by Ron Weighell
I found this story quite interesting in the beginning, but then I lost interest. It was ok, but nothing special. I can't even remember it now!

"The Codex" by David G. Rowlands
Although I read this story, and I finished it earlier today, I cannot remember what it was about. So I obviously didn't find it interesting!

"Peace On Earth, Goodwill To Most Men" by John Whitbourn
I really liked this story. It was creepy, and I'm glad it finished where it did as I was afraid that if it went on longer, the main person in it might have come to a bad end!

"Christmas Rose"
Nice ghost story with a sort of "happy" ending!

At last! I have read the whole book! I really enjoyed reading all these stories, (some more than others), but I didn't enjoy the very small print in this book! That's why it took me so long to read it.

All in all it's a very good book. Now I have given a final rating for the whole book, based on my individual ratings for each story, and the final rating is 6 stars!

Journal Entry 14 by wingchamonix44wing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, December 19, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (12/21/2011 UTC) at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

I am sending this book as a rabck to fellow BookCrosser,
HerbertLooby. I will be posting this sometime between 21st and 31st December. (Hopefully by 24th).
Enjoy!

Posted on 21st December 2011.

If you are reading here, then I want to tell you that this is a. FREE . book, and there are no catches! It is now yours! Please read on.....
If you are the finder of this book it would be nice if you could leave a message here to say that you have it. Do not worry because I don't want the book back. It is yours to keep if you want it. I just want to know it is now in safe hands.
Hello and congratulations!
You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join. If you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me,
chamonix44. as your referring member.

This book was released as part of the following Release Challenge in the BookCrossing online forums:
Megi53's challenge in memory of her mother

Journal Entry 15 by HerbertLooby at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lucky me! And the postal system did us proud with it arriving before Xmas. Shall read and then send on to the others in the ray (Diane-Fraser, Smurphie)

Journal Entry 16 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Arrived today, thank you - hope to get to smurphie before this Christmas ;)

Journal Entry 17 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, July 15, 2012

Found this interesting to read. Lots of short stories which took next to no time to get through, once it got to the top of the TBR that is!!

I have PM'd smurphie and hope to get this out for the Christmas in July Challenge :)

Journal Entry 18 by smurphie at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Arrived today a bit before Christmas :o) May hold onto it and read it a bit nearer Christmas.

Journal Entry 19 by smurphie at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 16, 2012

A lovely book of short stories for Christmas

Journal Entry 20 by Meg615 at Liège, Liège / Luik Belgium on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

I received it yesterday but with that package, I am still in Xmas mood! I am right now reading another book but as there are short stories, I shall read it when I got short spare time.

Journal Entry 21 by Meg615 at Liège, Liège / Luik Belgium on Thursday, May 23, 2013

some of the stories were really good, some disappointing but I enjoyed reading it, thanks again for the present

Journal Entry 22 by Meg615 at MBC 2013 in Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Released 11 mos ago (5/25/2013 UTC) at MBC 2013 in Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium

I know I know, it s not Xmas yet but as I will release it during the bookcrossers meeting, I hope it will be a nice present to another reader
enjoy your journey...

Journal Entry 23 by veer23 at Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Saturday, May 25, 2013

Found at MBC Brussels.

Journal Entry 24 by veer23 at Mount Edgecombe, KwaZulu-Natal South Africa on Monday, October 28, 2013

Released 5 mos ago (10/28/2013 UTC) at Mount Edgecombe, KwaZulu-Natal South Africa

Merry Christmas! I hope you enjoy this book!