corner corner Measuring the World: A Novel

Measuring the World: A Novel
by Daniel Kehlmann | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingReleannawing of Wien Bezirk 23 - Liesing, Wien Austria on 10/8/2009

status (set by Ellie_MT): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingReleannawing from Wien Bezirk 23 - Liesing, Wien Austria on Thursday, October 08, 2009

I've read this book in German and loved it. I hope the translation can reproduce the fine humour in this story about Gauss and Humboldt

Journal Entry 2 by wingReleannawing at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 08, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/8/2009 UTC) at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

to hyphen8, my partner in this RABCK exchange
I hope that the English version of this book captures the spirit of this wonderful, witty story about these eccentric scientists!

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, October 16, 2009

Received today with a bunch of Austrian goodies - see photo; someone else did this (show photos) recently with the goodies they received, and I thought it was a super idea so I'm copying it.

Thanks very much, it looks like an interesting book! I've heard of both Humboldt and Gauss, so it will be good to learn about them.

Also, I like the origami bookmark, I hadn't seen that design before. :)

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Finally got around to reading this: thanks for sharing it with me!

The overlapping stories of two eccentric geniuses - very different men who found they had some things in common after all.

I did find Humboldt's relationship with his older brother troubling: I know sibling rivalry is real, but the story makes it sound like the elder Humboldt tried to do away with his younger brother several times while they were growing up...

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Kapiolani Community College in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (8/31/2013 UTC) at Kapiolani Community College in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Left on a tree near the farmer's market with the cactus garden in the background; Humboldt may have had specimens of some of these... (Larger photo here.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thanks for finding this book!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn what it has to offer.

Freed any good books lately? It's good for the circulation. :)

Journal Entry 6 by Ellie_MT at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, September 26, 2013

I found this book at the farmers market, in a tree! I think this is sooo awesome.