corner corner Escape from Auschwitz: I Cannot Forgive

Escape from Auschwitz: I Cannot Forgive
by Rudolph Vrba, Alan Bestic | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by ResQgeek of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 6/14/2003

status (set by hannahsc5):

Journal Entry 1 by ResQgeek from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 14, 2003

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Purchased from the Sherwood Regional Library (Alexandria, VA) book sale, to read and release.

Journal Entry 2 by ResQgeek from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, August 18, 2003

This is an extremely well written book, setting forth in glaring detail the horrors of daily life at Auschwitz-Birkenau. Rudolf Vrba survived almost two years as a prisoner in this extermination camp, and witnessed almost every aspect of the its operation. Here he details his capture, day-to-day survival, and eventual escape. This is both a horrifying eye-witness account of one of humankind's most evil undertakings and a testament to the spirit of survival that allowed a few to escape certain death.

This book is not for the faint of heart, as it does not shy away from the brutal and shocking truth of Auschwitz. At the same time the writing is compelling, and I found it extremely difficult to put it down. This book transported me to the concentration camp in a way no other book ever has. While it does not provide any insights into the roots of the Halocaust, it does illuminate its horrifying consequences.

Journal Entry 3 by ResQgeek from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, August 18, 2003

I had originally planned to release this book at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, in Washington DC, when I finished reading it. However, this book is such a powerful account that I feel compelled to share it before releasing it. So, I'm offering it as a BookRing, and will proceed with the Holocaust Museum release when it returns to me.

Escape from Auschwitz Bookring

The bookring order:

1. Gooberguts (New Brunswick, Canada)
2. Wandeca (Ontario, Canada)
3. hannahsc5 (British Columbia, Canada) **
4. islavet (Washington, USA)
5. PalmersPal (California, USA)
6. kellyhp (Texas, USA)
7. kymberlie (Texas, USA)
8. Bruce Alexander (Louisiana, USA)
9. pjhess (Iowa, USA)
10. Mamikaem (Missouri, USA)
11. puppymummy (Victoria, Australia)
12. Hawkette (Victoria, Australia)
13. bookmanu (Portugal)
14. Witchie (Portugal)
15. Zyana (Portugal)
16. fflloorr (Portugal)
17. rubyblue (Netherlands)
18. perfect-circle (Tyne & Wear, UK)
19. Theresa-A (England, UK)
20. Kernow8 (England, UK)
21. DrNoelle (New York, USA)
22. Ollie1976 (New York, USA)
23. phillycarol (Pennsylvania, USA)
24. fly46 (Ohio, USA)
25. talon2claw (Ohio, USA)
26. skcreader (Virginia, USA)
27. pgsahm (Virginia, USA)
28. Then back to me (ResQgeek).

When you receive the book, be sure to make a journal entry so we know it arrived. Also, PM the next person on the list to get their mailing address.

Journal Entry 4 by ResQgeek from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, August 28, 2003

The book is on its way. Mailed to Gooberguts in Canada.

Journal Entry 5 by Gooberguts from Saint John, New Brunswick Canada on Monday, September 08, 2003

Just recieved this book in the mail as part of it's bookring journey!! Thanks ResQgeek. I'll start it tonight at work. And thanks for the post card!!

Journal Entry 6 by Gooberguts from Saint John, New Brunswick Canada on Saturday, September 13, 2003

Just finished the book tonight. What unbelievable conditions they had to go through. I don't think that I would have ever been able to survive under those conditions. Will be mailing the book out to Wandeca on Monday. Hope you enjoy!!

Journal Entry 7 by Gooberguts from Saint John, New Brunswick Canada on Monday, September 15, 2003

Mailed book out to Wandeca today. Hope you enjoy the book!!

Journal Entry 8 by Wandeca from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 19, 2003

Received the book yesterday, thanks Gooberguts...it got here quicker than I thought (thanks for the postcard!). I'm planning on reading the book next week.

Journal Entry 9 by Wandeca from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 01, 2003

I was hooked from the first paragraph...It's a well written book on the survival and escape from hell -- a concentration camp. On a personal note: being of Jewish background and knowing what happened on these death camps I found it very hard to read this book. Wanting to read about the situations but also wanting to just stop....I'm glad that I finished the book. Thank you for sharing ResQgeek!

Journal Entry 10 by hannahsc5 from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Just got this book last week. I am very excited to get going on it....

More soon