corner corner Fup

Fup
by Jim Dodge | Humor
Registered by GarryDH of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, September 27, 2009

status (set by lakelady2282): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by GarryDH from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, September 27, 2009

A hilarous and ultimately moving modern fairy-tale. Fup is, for the most part, a down-to-earth feel-good story of a grumpy old man, his gentle giant of a grandson and their rather unusual pet duck!. There's plenty of laughs along the way but the unexpected and beautiful ending left me speechless and with a strong desire to read the whole thing all over again (which given how short it is won't be hard).

This book is available as a bookray. For details see the next journal entry.

Journal Entry 2 by GarryDH from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, September 27, 2009

This is the type of book you'll want other people to read. I know I do and therefore I'm turning it into a bookray! If you're interested in reading this book check out the guidelines below and PM me to be added to the list.

Bookray Guidelines:
1. If you wish to be added to the list, please PM me with your details (not your address, see point 3) or reply to the forum post.
2. Once the ray is underway you'll need to be prepared to ship internationally as the next request could come from anywhere (if you list a preference I'll note it and try to accommodate).
3. You will be sending the book to the person who appears after you in the list, so you need to PM them to get their address!
4. It's a short book and shouldn't take too long to read so please try to keep it moving.
5. Please journal the book once you have received it and again when you have released it. Try to journal what you thought of the book as well (even a line or two is appreciated).
6. If you're the last person on the list the book is yours to do what you please with. If I don't see release notes to show it leaving your possession or receive a PM from you I'll assume you're still willing to participate in the ray and will keep adding people to the list.

Forum post for this bookray:
Fup by Jim Dodge - Intl Bookray

List of participants:
mafarrimond: UK
karen07814: UK
KiwiinEngland: Ireland
Oedde: Germany
hyper7: South Africa
Dancesports: Australia >>>Book is here

Journal Entry 3 by GarryDH at Bookray, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (9/30/2009 UTC) at Bookray, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Posted to mafarrimond to get the bookray started.

Journal Entry 4 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Received the book today. Will read and send on.

Journal Entry 5 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, October 08, 2009

Nice easy read which delighted both me and my husband.

Journal Entry 6 by mafarrimond at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, October 08, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/8/2009 UTC) at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom

Sending to karen07814 as next in the list for the bookring. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 7 by wingkaren07814wing from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, October 15, 2009

Times review

"This book is fupped uck"

Journal Entry 8 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, November 06, 2009

Thanks for passing on the book.

Journal Entry 9 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, November 13, 2009

I really enjoyed the way the characters in this book interacted, the laid back approach and acceptance of each other and their quirks, and the insular family life.

The last bit was a little wierd.

Journal Entry 10 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, November 13, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (11/14/2009 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

This little book is off to Germany to continue its travels. I hope the next reader enjoys it as much as I did. Thanks GarryDH for starting this ring.

Journal Entry 11 by Oedde from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I got this in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to start reading it! I have another book to finish though, so it might be a tiny little while.
Thanks for sharing, GarryDH!

Journal Entry 12 by Oedde from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, December 01, 2009

I did enjoy this as much as KiwiinEngland did! What a weird story!
I like it when characters are introduced by way of introducing their parents or grandparents.

Journal Entry 13 by Oedde at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/1/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I mailed the book off to South Africa today. Have fun with it, hyper7!

Journal Entry 14 by hyper7 from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Sunday, January 10, 2010

I received a nice surprise in the mail today!
Thanks!

Journal Entry 15 by hyper7 from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Tuesday, January 12, 2010

That was absolutely cool. I loved it! So good, I convinced my wife to read it too.
Thanks very much, I enjoyed this very much. I have to get myself a ninja attack duck.

Journal Entry 16 by Bluedrop from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Very sweet story, thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 17 by hyper7 at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Friday, January 15, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/14/2010 UTC) at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia

Off it goes to far off Tasmania!

Journal Entry 18 by Dancesports from Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, February 09, 2010

whoops - the book arrived the week before last - but we have been on holidays at our shack (might be known as a seaside cottage in the UK) - so I have had limited access to email.

Journal Entry 19 by Dancesports from Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and I have quite a few people that I would like to share it with (some of them are non-bookcrossers). I've just released I'm at the end of the ray - so I will share the book with the non-bookcrossers and then continue the ray.

Journal Entry 20 by Dancesports at a fellow bookcrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (11/30/2010 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Time for this one to move on, it has completed a trip around my family. This is well towards the top of my favourite list of books for the year.

On it's way to DaveMurray101 who has kindly sent me another book by Jim Dodge.

Journal Entry 21 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Friday, December 03, 2010

Just received in the post today. Thanks to Dancesports, hope you enjoy the two books I sent you!

Journal Entry 22 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 31, 2011

Just finished Fup and it was great! Thanks again to dancesports for passing this on.

Journal Entry 23 by davemurray101 at Cafe de Beaumont in Hamilton, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, May 14, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (5/14/2011 UTC) at Cafe de Beaumont in Hamilton, New South Wales Australia

Released at the Bookcrossing Newcastle - May meeting.

Journal Entry 24 by lakelady2282 at Cafe de Beaumont in Hamilton, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thanks Dave. Nice to have another short book to read!

Journal Entry 25 by lakelady2282 at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 16, 2011

What a delight! Fup is a wonderful fable about country life (real country life) and transformations. I loved the combination of fairytale (Fup herself) and the reality of the harsh hillybilly lifestyle. Dodge switches beautifully between both and his characterisations and telling details are masterful. Highly recommended.

Journal Entry 26 by lakelady2282 at Pippi's at the Point in Speers Point, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 16, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (6/16/2011 UTC) at Pippi's at the Point in Speers Point, New South Wales Australia

in the basket for the June meeting