corner corner Road Fever

Road Fever
by Tim Cahill | Travel
Registered by wingthegoaliegirlwing of Vancouver, Washington USA on 9/26/2009

status (set by thenightgoddess): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Saturday, September 26, 2009

Thank you for finding this book and welcome to bookcrossing! Bookcrossing is a wonderful place to share your love of reading with people all over the world. You can remain anonymous but if you do, you won't be able to get notification each time someone else journals this book. Following this books travels is very fun. Again, welcome to bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 2 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Friday, July 07, 2017

This was an interesting book and I really enjoyed it. I just found it in my pile of books that I've read and haven't journaled from a few months ago. A few months after reading this, a friend's parents went from Ushuaia North and got to Peru on their motorbikes before having the ship the bikes north due to roads being washed out. Will set aside for my next travel narrative bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (5/22/2018 UTC) at Thegoaliegirl's Travel Narrative bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sent out in the 2018 thegoaliegirl's travel narrative bookbox to start the box off!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 04, 2018

I'm claiming this from the Travel Narrative bookbox. I've enjoyed several of Cahill's books, and look forward to this one!

Later: I hadn't realized that the focus here was on a Guinness record-setting trip from Tierra del Fuego to Prudhoe Bay - the southern tip of South America to the northern tip of North America. This tended to put a lot of pressure on Cahill and Gary Sowerby, as they made plans, ran into bureaucratic stumbling blocks, dealt with changes of weather, breakdowns, political situations, stomach upset, and more.

That said, there were plenty of entertaining bits about the countries they traveled through, some of them during the more leisurely planning stages and some during the actual trek. I got a kick out of the chapter "Bus-Plunge Follies," set in Ecuador - not that I wanted any tragic plunging-bus accidents, but because I'd recently read The Panama Hat Trail, which was set primarily in Ecuador and had its own series of bus-plunge anecdotes; I guess it really is a regular feature of driving on the narrow, twisty mountain roads there.

Cahill's writing style is breezy and snarky - and sometimes quite revealing, in the "too much information" way, most notable when he's seriously drunk or hungover. But he gets serious here and there as well, describing some of the darker aspects of local history - the treatment of the indigenous peoples, for one, and some of the less well-intentioned US intervention for another. But the main focus is on the trek and on the people encountered along the way. And it filled the purpose of a good travel book for me - it took me to places I'll never see, and made me feel as if I'd been there!

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at DMV, Exit 6, Everett Tpke (was Welcome Ctr) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, June 21, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (6/21/2018 UTC) at DMV, Exit 6, Everett Tpke (was Welcome Ctr) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a window ledge in the entrance to the DMV on this warm afternoon; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 6 by thenightgoddess at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, June 22, 2018

Found at the Nashua, NH DMV after waiting two and a half hours wish I had found it when walking in as I would have read it while waiting. Haven't read it yet but will release it again after reading.