corner corner All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye

All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye
by Christopher Brookmyre | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Lalitpur, Bagmati Nepal on 9/23/2009

status (set by Soozreader): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Lalitpur, Bagmati Nepal on Wednesday, September 23, 2009

This book is a donation to BC from "Buchladen an der Kyll", an internet book store in Germany. Thank you!

All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye belongs to the half of Brookmyre's work less concerned with the state of the Scottish nation and more with what happens when iconically ordinary Scots are dumped into the middle of Hollywood plots. Here, we have, on the one hand, an international trouble-shooting organization most of whose agents are on the run from some sort of trouble themselves, and, on the other, a forty-something grandmother aware that life has passed her by and was not meant to. When someone tries to kidnap her grand-daughter, she responds with inventive viciousness; told to save her family by making a South of France rendezvous, she steals passports, cars and tickets as if she has always been doing it. Recruited merely as an expert on a missing boffin who happens to be her son, Jane demonstrates that the quiet desperation of ordinary life is the best training a super agent could have...This is Brookmyre at his most slyly subversive and viscerally exciting, a daydream which never quite becomes preposterous. (amazon)

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at the mail, RABCK Drawing Winner -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 10, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/10/2009 UTC) at the mail, RABCK Drawing Winner -- Controlled Releases

... on its way to glitterbee.

This book has been released in memory of Tânia Vanessa Silva Maia, Snowshoee (10-10-1982 - 27-03-2009), she would have turned 27 today.

Journal Entry 3 by glitterbee from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Thank you so much for this book, ApoloniaX!

I only read one of Brookmyre's novels so far and I liked it a lot, so I am looking forward to reading this book and then to pass it on.

Journal Entry 4 by glitterbee from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Saturday, January 23, 2010

I did not know what this book was about before reading it, maybe I'd forgotten, maybe I'd never read the synopsis. That way I was thrown into the story, wondering what the connection between Jane and the other lot would be. I was at first also a little disappointed, not quite remembering why I liked Brookmyre's other book so much, just knowing I truly enjoyed it at the time.

But a few pages into the story I was captivated. I managed to put the book aside, just because I had school the next day. I was thinking about the book at school though, looking forward to going home and continue reading. I couldn't put the book down after that and finished it now.

I usually don't read crime fiction a second time, I think it just loses much of its appeal the second time round, hence the 8 star rating. I really do wanna read more of Brookmyre's novels now, though.

Thank you, ApoloniaX, for giving me the chance to read this book!

Journal Entry 5 by glitterbee at Mainz, A friend -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 31, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/30/2010 UTC) at Mainz, A friend -- Controlled Releases

Gave the book to a friend who, I think, also likes Brookmyre's fiction.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by tobysoby at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, November 02, 2010

I got "All Fun and Games Untill Somebody Loses an Eye" (puuh, what a title...) from a friend. I read it instantly, because I really enjoyed Christopher Brookmyres "Quiet Ugly One Morning" some time back, but neglected both to write a review or to pass it on. But this'll be resolved soon, promise!

Journal Entry 7 by glitterbee at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Thursday, February 10, 2011

Got the book back from tobysoby and am going to send it to another bookcrosser today.

Journal Entry 8 by glitterbee at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Thursday, February 10, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (2/10/2011 UTC) at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

This travels to the winner of the International Sweepstakes in Januar 2011.
I hope you enjoy :)

Journal Entry 9 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Thanks for sending me this interesting book, glitterbee! Don't worry, I like a lot of things besides fantasy and I'm guessing I might enjoy this book.
And thanks as well for the "Kinder Schokolade". It was also my favourite growing up, I remember my grandmother always had some in store for us. (As did her sister, who lived next door, so we got twice the amount of chocolate!)

Journal Entry 10 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, April 07, 2012

At first I was dissapointed with this book. It took too long to get started. First you get the introduction of Bett's team, then you flip to boring old Jane, only to go back again to Bett's team and Lex's actions. I was almost ready to give up on the book because it seemed like such a meaningless enumeration of actions by characters you're not familiar enough with.
But when I got past this part I really started enjoying the book. Especially after Jane's actions trying to get to Rachel, when she turns into some kind of supergranny!
It was not the best book I've ever read (because of the beginning), but if Brookmyres other books are like the second part of this one, I would definately like to read some more. Thanks for introducing me to this writer, glitterbee!

(Reserved for the winner of the mystery and tea sweepstake.)

Journal Entry 11 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/6/2012 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

On its way to the winner of the mystery and tea sweepstake. I hope you'll enjoy it!!

Journal Entry 12 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Saturday, June 09, 2012

Thank you for this book and for the tea! The title seems very interesting so I look forward to reading this!:)