corner corner Alone on a Wide Wide Sea

Alone on a Wide Wide Sea
by Michael Morpurgo | Children's Books
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Bremen, Bremen Germany on Thursday, September 17, 2009

status (set by LenaLena): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Thursday, September 17, 2009

How far would you go to find yourself? The lyrical, life-affirming new novel from the bestselling author of Private Peaceful There were dozens of us on the ship, all ages, boys and girls, and we were all up on deck for the leaving of Liverpool, gulls wheeling and crying over our heads, calling good-bye, I thought they were waving good-bye. None of us spoke. It was a grey day with drizzle in the air, the great sad cranes bowing to the ship from the docks as we steamed past. That is all I remember of England…
When orphaned Arthur Hobhouse is shipped to Australia after WW II he loses his sister, his country and everything he knows. The coming years will test him to his limits, as he endures mistreatment, neglect and forced labour in the Australian outback. But Arthur is also saved, again and again, by his love of the sea. And when he meets a nurse whose father owns a boat-building business, all the pieces of his broken life come together.
Now, at the end of his life, Arthur has built a special boat for his daughter Allie, whose love of the sea is as strong and as vital as her father's. Now Allie has a boat that will take her to England solo, across the world's roughest seas, in search of her father's long-lost sister… Will the threads of Arthur's life finally come together?

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at the mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 28, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (11/28/2009 UTC) at the mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Wishlist RABCK
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Thank you so much, ApoloniaX, for taking the trouble to look on the wishlist, contact me, and send this book to a complete stranger. A true RABCK, which is very inspiring! I've read a couple of Michael Morpurgo's books so far, and loved his style of writing and his imaginative stories. So I'm really looking forward to reading it, and hopefully sharing it with my children. It will have to wait in the queue on my bookring, bookray and RABCK book shelf before I manage to read it, but eventually it will be passed on to somebody else.

Journal Entry 4 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

This was a fascinating story told at a great pace. No great depth of character or detail, but lots of action and a tale of an eventful life, and in the second half of the book, a slower pace as Arthur's daughter sails to the other side of the world in search of her father's long-lost sister. I was duly appalled at the concentration camp style orphanage, and it seems truly unbelievable that this could have happened to children so recently, considering that the authorities knew the children were there, and yet they received no education and treated no better than slaves. I enjoyed the descriptions of the contact with the aboriginals, the inspirational character of Aunty Meg with the added bonus of animals; all the best children's stories have animals. Then more tragedy, despair and redemption. The sailing trip didn't interest me so much, but the relationship with the albatross was lovely, and here came the one thing which brought a lump to my throat. Once more, saved by an animal, and on to better things. Also loved the contact with the Space Station. Michael Morpurgo certainly knows how to keep you hooked!

By the way, I just read my previous JE, where I commented that you had sent this book to a total stranger. Since then, I have met you in person at the Amsterdam Anniversary Convention, which was great. I will try to persuade one of my sons to read this, and then find somebody else to pass it on to. Thank you, ApoloniaX.

Journal Entry 5 by bookguide at Strand10 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, June 30, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/1/2012 UTC) at Strand10 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before the end of 2011. My reading goal is 75 books.
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 201w. My goal is 26,000.
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge

Journal Entry 6 by wingFifnawing at Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Got it at the meet-up in Castricum.

Journal Entry 7 by wingFifnawing at Hoevelaken, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (6/30/2013 UTC) at Hoevelaken, Gelderland Netherlands

Door LenaLena gekozen bij de 'eerste pagina'-ring.

Journal Entry 8 by wingLenaLenawing at Hoevelaken, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Meegenomen van de meeting in Castricum. Thank you very much, it looks like a great book.