corner corner Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner, Vol. 1)

Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner, Vol. 1)
by Lynn Flewelling | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingBluemchenblattwing of Paris, Ile-de-France France on Monday, September 14, 2009

status (set by kdragonet): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingBluemchenblattwing from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Monday, September 14, 2009

One of my favorite books - very entertaining: thrilling, amusing, intriguing, fantastic. Sadly the other Nightrunner parts are not as good as LitS, in my humble opinion.

Blurb:

When young Alec of Kerry is taken prisoner for a crime he didn't commit, he is certain that his life is at an end. But the one thing he never expected was his cellmate. Spy, rogue, thief, and noble, Seregil of Rhíminee is many things - none of them predictable. (...)

This is a Bookring-Book, to replace the one stalled by oyezbravesgens.
Participants:
...
o3. Annadlx, Germany - INT
o4. Jengif, USA - INT
o5. elidanora, Buenos Aires, Argentina - INT
o6. Dancesports,Petcheys Bay, AUS - AUS, INT
o7. Tsjara,Heiloo, Netherlands - EU, INT
o8. [Check first if still interested] malagan, Netherlands
o9. [Check first if still interested] AmaniS, Germany (shipping: Europe)
1o. Lemon-Crisis, United Kingdom (shipping: pref. Europe, INT)
11. goldenwattle, Australia (shipping: Australia)
12. kdragonet, Australia (Sea-mail word-wide ok)
xx. Bluemchenblatt (currently France)

Nightrunner is a Work-In-Progress, but you don't need to know the other volumes to understand one.
Other Nightrunner-books:
.Stalking Darkness
.Traitor's Moon

Journal Entry 2 by wingBluemchenblattwing at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (9/30/2009 UTC) at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

And off it goes! Have fun reading, everyone. :)
Aide en français/Deutsche Hilfe/日本語のページ/Polska Strona Pomocy

Journal Entry 3 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Friday, October 02, 2009

Thank you Blümchenblatt for sending this book my way. Just started another book. Won't be long though until I can start this series and see what all the "fuss" is about.
Thank you for starting this new old ring! It's greatly appreciated.

on Mount TBR for the time being.

Edit 10/22/2009
I started reading. It's taking me a while to turn the pages. Not sure why. I'm enjoying it so far.
Reached Page 100 already. Please be a bit more patient with me. Thanks.

Journal Entry 4 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Saturday, November 28, 2009

hurrah I'm done. This is a premiere. It took me several weeks to read this 10*-rating book. I had a teribble reading slump which I can't explain with the story. Seregil, Micum and Alec's story is one of magic, conspriacy, friendship. Basically a fairytale that enthralls with twists and turns in the story one can't expect. It has wonderful and very easily liked characters. I'll have to join those other rings going around cause I do need to know how everything will turn out. Too many characters where just introduced and have to be important someway or other.

Thank you Bluemchenblatt for finding a new copy for this ring and restarting it. And for being as patient with me as you were. It's greatly appreciated.

Since I already asked for and received Jengif's address, this will start it's journey to the US on Monday.

Journal Entry 5 by Annadlx at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 28, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (11/30/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

will put it in the mail monday afternoon.
Save journey, dear book.

Journal Entry 6 by Jengif from New Bern, North Carolina USA on Monday, December 07, 2009

Luck in the Shadows has arrived safely in North Carolina.

Journal Entry 7 by Jengif from New Bern, North Carolina USA on Monday, December 28, 2009

Luck In The Shadows was a pretty good read. I liked it enough to look for the second book, but it was pretty formulaic. The character development was good. I wasn't happy that the book didn't stand on its own though. The sinister characters introduced at the beginning disappeared in the middle of the book and didn’t come into play for the rest of the plot.

Actually, if you even halfway enjoyed this book, I'd recommend the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. You may enjoy that series more.

Journal Entry 8 by Jengif from New Bern, North Carolina USA on Friday, January 29, 2010

Mailed to Elidanora in Argentina. Sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 9 by elidanora from Buenos Aires, Ciudad de Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) Argentina on Monday, February 22, 2010

The book arrived safe and sound. I´ll read it soon!!

Journal Entry 10 by elidanora from Buenos Aires, Ciudad de Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) Argentina on Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I´m reading this book at a slow, slow pace, so it will take me one or two weeks to finish. I hope this is ok.
Thanks for your understanding!

Journal Entry 11 by elidanora from Buenos Aires, Ciudad de Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) Argentina on Monday, March 29, 2010

I just finished it. I liked it very, very much. The only drawback is that now I desperately need to read the next books.
Thanks Bluemchenblatt for sharing!!
I´ll try to put this fantastic book in the mail tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by elidanora at Correo Argentino, Ciudad de Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) Argentina on Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/30/2010 UTC) at Correo Argentino, Ciudad de Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) Argentina

I´ve sent this book to Tasmania.

Happy reading!!

As I sent 2 package one to Australia and another to Portugal, I´m not sure which Number is the correct one:
- Correo Argentino RR 617717026 AR
- Correo Argentino RR 617717012 AR

Journal Entry 13 by Dancesports from Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Thursday, April 15, 2010

Book has arrived safely. (Number was the first one)

I'm looking forward to reading this- but it is the third book ring to arrive in a week - but I will get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 14 by Dancesports from Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Saturday, May 15, 2010

I enjoyed this book very much. I was very glad to get back to fantasy - my favourite genre. I thought the book had depth and I can also understand why jenqif thought it was formulaic. It did remind me of some of Feists books. But it is a book that took me away from everyday life which is why I like fantasy so much.

Journal Entry 15 by Dancesports at sent to the next bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 21, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (5/21/2010 UTC) at sent to the next bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

It's on its way to the next bookcrosser - might be a slow trip - sent via surface mail.

Journal Entry 16 by wingTsjarawing at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, August 09, 2010

Arrived here safely :) Thanks Dancesports for sending and Bluemchenblatt for organizing the ring! This sounds like a great read, really looking forward to it ^_^

Journal Entry 17 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, August 26, 2010

I really enjoyed this book! It has been a while since I read a fantasy book that I really couldn't put down. There is action, intrigue and mystery, and some unexpected twists. And the main characters are very likeable. The only thing is that I now have to find the rest of the series (especially with that sort of cliffhanger at the end) ;p
Thanks Bluemchenblatt for introducing me to this great new series! ^_^

I have PMed Malagan twice, but received no reply yet.. she doesn't seem very active anymore, I will wait a couple of days and send her another PM.

Edit 9 september: No reply from Malagan or AmaniS, will PM lemon-crisis now.
Edit 11 september: Received Lemon-Crisis' address, will mail it out after the weekend.

Journal Entry 18 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, September 17, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (9/17/2010 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Oops, didn't make it to the post office till today.. it is now travelling to lemon-crisis.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 19 by Lemon-Crisis at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, September 26, 2010

Arrived yesterday safe and sound.

Thank you Tsjara for the cute postcard, and of course the tea! I'll have one of those later when I sit down to begin the book =D

Journal Entry 20 by Lemon-Crisis at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, October 09, 2010

Finished! =D
I couldn't put it down, and ended up reading it all in almost one sitting. I wasn't sure I was going to like it, as it seemed quite old (older fantasy novels tend to be a bit too 'farm boy saves the world' for my liking). I was pleasantly surprised though, and quickly got sucked into it. The characterisation was good, even if the bad guys were a bit stereotypical. The plot moved along at a fast pace, and there were no bits of it where I found myself getting bored.
I liked it so much I managed to hunt down ebook versions of the next two in the series for my e-reader =D I'm looking forward to reading more!
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 21 by Lemon-Crisis at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, December 02, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/2/2010 UTC) at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom

Posted to goldenwattle via airmail! Should be with you soon.

I hope you enjoy the book! :3

Journal Entry 22 by winggoldenwattlewing at Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, December 14, 2010

This was waiting in my mail box when I arrived home this evening. Thank you Lemon-Crisis for sending it. And thank you for the postcards.
What cheap postage you have. If I were to airmail this to the UK it would be two to three times more expensive. Even seamail would be more expensive.

PS. If anyone wonders what the orange bags are doing on the almond tree in the photograph, it's to protect the almonds from parrots.

Journal Entry 23 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, December 20, 2010

I enjoyed this story, even though when it arrived and I saw the book’s cover I wondered why I had joined this Bookring. But now I have read the book I am pleased I did. I really enjoyed it and if the next book in the series becomes a Bookring please count me in. A small comment though about the cover. My guess is the character on the cover is supposed to be Alec. However, the story says Alec is a young looking sixteen year old. The man on the cover looks at least ten years older. Picky, picky. But perhaps a young teenager on the cover would have lost many adult readers.

Bluemchenblatt says it's okay to pass this around local BookCrossers before it travels on. I will stay with another BookCrosser over Christmas/New Year and will offer this book to them to read while I am there. I think this is a book they would enjoy.

Journal Entry 24 by Kermit58 at Cranebrook, New South Wales Australia on Friday, December 31, 2010

I'll see what I think of it.

Journal Entry 25 by Kermit58 at Penrith, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, January 02, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/2/2011 UTC) at Penrith, New South Wales Australia

Thank you, it was very good. I've handed it back to Goldenwattle.

Journal Entry 26 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, January 08, 2011

I took this book along to the Canberra BookCrossing meet, held this month at the National Botanic Gardens, Acton, ACT, to see if I could interest anyone in reading this book before it leaves Canberra. That's us (and my empty chair) in the photograph.

National Botanic Gardens

No-one was interested, so I’ve sent an email to dragonet for her address.

Journal Entry 27 by winggoldenwattlewing at Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, January 14, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/14/2011 UTC) at Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia

This book is off to kdragonet in Victoria, Australia.

As soon as I finish writing this, I'm switching the computer off and walking to the local post office to send it on its way.

I loved this book and I hope you enjoy it as well.

This book is released for:
2011 Keep Them Moving Challenge

Journal Entry 28 by kdragonet at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, January 17, 2011

It arrived this morning safe and sound, and I've already read 4 chapters. So far so good!