corner corner Northanger Abbey

Northanger Abbey
by Jane Austen | Literature & Fiction
Registered by shelj7k of Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on 9/13/2009

status (set by AspenYard): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, September 13, 2009

This is a place of mystery...a sanctuary. Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Shadow of the Wind

Dear Reader

Welcome to BookCrossing, especially if it is your first time here. I am really pleased that you found this book. It is a gift from me to you. If you wish you may hold on to it, but I hope that you will pass it on, either to a friend or loved one, or by leaving it to be found again. That way our book will be on an adventurous journey which we can follow as it gets passed along.

In the meantime, did you read the book? What did you think of it? Also, what do you think of the idea of BookCrossing? Feel free to write any thoughts when you come back to make a journal entry for this book.

While you are here, why not take a look around our website? It is completely free to register, it is safe and spam free and, if you do join, you will receive email alerts when this book is found again. I would be delighted if you wish to mention me, shelj7k, as the member who introduced you.

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 2 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, September 13, 2009

Catherine Morland should know better. She's the very ideal of a nice, normal girl. But Catherine is cursed with an overactive imagination. She is also obsessed with lurid Gothic novels, where terrible things happen to the heroine. Which gets her into all sorts of trouble...

When Catherine visits Bath and meets funny, sharp Henry Tilney, she's instantly taken with him. But when she is invited to the Tilney's home, the sinister Northanger Abbey, fantasy starts to get in the way of reality. Will she learn to separate out the two?

With it's loveable, impressional heroine and its themes of growing up and learning to live in the real world, Northanger Abbey remains one of Jane Austen's most irresistible and up-to-date novels.

Journal Entry 3 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, September 13, 2009

In Northanger Abbey Jane Austen's wit is razor sharp. Two hundred years later her characters are still so vivid and the story so consuming that you feel that you are there with Catherine Morland. You want to help her, warn her, advise her. She is a lovely innocent and naive girl who grows and learns as the book progresses. I can't possibly put Austen's novels in any order of preference, but Northanger Abbey would be 'up there'.

Journal Entry 4 by shelj7k at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, September 13, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (9/14/2009 UTC) at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

A wishlist book for Annimanni - Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Aawww, thanks so much Shel! This was a wonderful surprise :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, May 18, 2012

Another absolutely delightful read from Miss Austen. I especially loved the dialogue, in particular the conversations between Catherine and Isabella. Wonderful, just wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

***
I'm going to take this book with me to the Finnish summer convention in Tampere in June.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Naistari in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, June 08, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (6/9/2012 UTC) at Naistari in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

The book will be available at the book buffet at the Finnish summer convention in Tampere this weekend - or released somewhere in the area.

Journal Entry 8 by AspenYard at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Thank you! Jane Austen boom ongoing, nice to find this copy ;)
Happy summer!

Edit: This book will be on its way to Gambia via Sirah's charity container. Happy reading to new readers!

Journal Entry 9 by AspenYard at Rabck, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Gambia, the on Friday, August 17, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (8/26/2012 UTC) at Rabck, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Gambia, the

This book goes to build a school library in Gambia. Happy reading!