corner corner Jamilia

Jamilia
by Chingiz Aïtmatov | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 9/8/2009

status (set by Tanamo): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 08, 2009

From the back:

"Jamilia's husband is off fighting at the front. She spends her days hauling sacks of grain from the threshing floor to the train station in their small village in the Caucasus, accompanied by Seit, her young brother-in-law, and Daniyar, a sullen newcomer to the village who has been wounded on the battlefield.

Seit observes the beautiful, spirited Jamilia spurn men's advances, and wince at the dispassionate letters she receives from her husband. Meanwhile, undeterred by Jamilia's teasing, Daniyar sings as they return each evening from the fields. Soon Jamilia is in love, and she and Daniyar elope just as her husband returns...

Chingiz Aïtmatov was born in Kyrgyzstan in 1928. His work has appeared in over one hundred languages, and has received numerous awards, including the Lenin prize. He is the Kyrgyz ambassador to the European Union, NATO, UNESCO and the Benelux countries."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 23, 2011

This is a beautiful, melancholy story about forbidden love - and about coming to age - in a remote village in Kyrgyzstan. To me, the location adds to the romance. I could almost hear Daniyar's voice carry out in the wide open terrain - I wish I could have heard him singing for real. I'd absolutely love to explore the area.

Here's an interesting analysis with background information I enjoyed:

***

This book is now off to a bookcrossing friend as a surprise RABCK :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/25/2011 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Happy Birthday, ApoloniaX!

Journal Entry 4 by ApoloniaX at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Thank you so much, Annimanni, for this book and all the lovely goodies that came with it!

Journal Entry 5 by ApoloniaX at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Monday, April 25, 2011

This has been called the world's most beautiful love story, and it may very well be so, at least it deserves a place among the top ten. It's an amazingly beautiful story, also because of its style of writing - the simple plain prose-, the perspective, the atmosphere. It's just a slim little book, but intense. Recommendable.

Journal Entry 6 by ApoloniaX at Surprise, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, May 21, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (5/23/2011 UTC) at Surprise, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Travelling along
with a VBB book

Journal Entry 7 by wingsoffitta1wing at Ávila, Ávila Spain on Tuesday, May 31, 2011

This looks really interesting, thanks for sending me the book along with my VBB choice!

A short read I was sent as a bonus with another. Set in WW2, a boy tells the tale of his beloved and very different sister-in-law, Jamilia.

Seit is an artist looking back at a time when he painted his sister-in-law, a beautiful, but unusual, woman that he was in love with. Through his memories, we see a snapshot of life at the time, of a village missing its young men who were off at war. Jamilia finds herself living with her in-laws, who she barely knows, waiting for news from her husband, even if she appears in his letters as a perfunctory after thought. Her world is turned upside down by Daniyar, injured and so out of the army. He doesn't chase her like the other men, but she is still drawn to him, to his poetry as much as his melancholy. Seit narrates Jamilia's self-journey and ultimate departure from his village.

One thing that surprised me on reading more about the book, was that it was written in the late '50s. Not because of the setting, but more because I found that the themes were still so relevant. Jamilia, Daniyar and Seit are also characters a bit a head of their time, change is coming to the village, one that will sweep many of the local customs aside. The book is short, but worth a read as you get a glimpse into a small little-known country and its customs and a memorable love story.

Journal Entry 8 by wingsoffitta1wing at Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, July 01, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (7/1/2011 UTC) at Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom

Added into my Asian Bookbox.

Journal Entry 9 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

This one looks good and is also really short so I'll probably read it pop it back in the box for others to read.

Journal Entry 10 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Read over breakfast, I had a real picture in my head of these three travelling along together following his singing. I can't say that I thought it was one of the best love stories although I did enjoy it. This book will now be returned to the Asian Bookbox, which I hope to get moving on again next weekend.

Journal Entry 11 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Taken from Soffitta1's excellent Asian BookBox.

Journal Entry 12 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, December 28, 2015

Beautifully written love story set in Kyrgyzstan in the 50s. I can't believe its taken me this long to get round to reading it when it is such a slim volume but I'm so glad I did.

Journal Entry 13 by Tanamo at Little Theatre in Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 30, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (4/30/2016 UTC) at Little Theatre in Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Left on a table in the bar.

If you've found this book and you're new to this, welcome to bookcrossing! I hope you enjoy looking around the bookcrossing site. If you decide to join bookcrossing (it's free, so no reason not to if you're interested!) please feel free to list me (Tanamo) as the member who referred you. Even if you don't join I'd appreciate it if you'd leave a quick journal note so I can see where the book ended up - you can do it anonymously if you wish.