corner corner Desertion

Desertion
by Abdulrazak Gurnah | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Torgin of Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 9/4/2009

status (set by unknown-user): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, September 04, 2009

From the back: Early one morning in 1899, in a small town along the coast from Mombasa, Hassanali sets out for the mosque. But he never gets there, for out of the desert stumbles an ashen and exhausted Englishman who collapses at his feet. That man is Martin Pearce – writer, traveller and something of an Orientalist. After Pearce has recuperated, he visits Hassanali to thank him for his rescue and meets Hassanali's sister Rehana; he is immediately captivated. In this crumbling town on the edge of civilised life, with the empire on the brink of a new century, a passionate love affair begins that brings two cultures together and which will reverberate through three generations and across continents.

______________________________

This was the second novel by Gurnah I read, and I really like his carefully constructed stories and his beautiful prose. Although not much "happens", as most of the book deals with thoughts, sentiments, and psychology, it never became boring which is also due to the fact that Gurnah offers several perspectives on the events in the third generation. And an impression I already had was confirmed: Migration in its various forms seems to be a big issue in Gurnah's works, not too surprising when looking at his biography.

Journal Entry 2 by CrimsonAngel at Offenbach/Main, Hessen Germany on Friday, December 30, 2011

This book arrived today along with a whole stack of other books as a small "1 Jahr = 1 Land"-Challenge-RABCK-packet. Thank you for this!

The story sounds pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 3 by CrimsonAngel at Offenbach/Main, Hessen Germany on Saturday, July 14, 2012

I read this book for the 1 Jahr = 1 Land-Lifetime Challenge for Tanzania.

Well, this book leaves me kind of ambivalent. Some parts of it I really enjoyed reading and some parts bored me to death. As reader you can learn much about Tanzanias history and the culture and the feelings of the people, but on the other hand there's nothing happening at all. I'm not thrilled...

Journal Entry 4 by CrimsonAngel at BookBox, by hand -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/22/2012 UTC) at BookBox, by hand -- Controlled Releases

This book is now travelling in the BookBox Spotlight: Afrika

Journal Entry 5 by Amandil at Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Das Buch ist heute zu unknown-user weitergewandert, nachdem es bei mir lange ungelesen im Regal stand...

Journal Entry 6 by unknown-user at Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Dieses Buch habe ich von Amandil mitgenommen.

Notiz an mich selbst: Olagorie möchte dieses Buch nach mir lesen. Sehr gern.