corner corner American Eve: Evelyn Nesbit, Stanford White: The Birth of the "It" Girl and the Crime of the Century

Journal Entry 1 by wingPierre42wing from Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, August 30, 2009

Here is a synopsis from the book's own webpage:

"For that first heady decade of the 20th century, Evelyn Nesbit was the American Dream Girl whose "face was her fortune" and whose life reflected the era's intoxicating, accelerated, and daring mood. By age 16, Nesbit, already an icon for the Gilded Age, embodied all its contradictory impulses; at times she seemed the picture of Victorian sentimentality, but her bewitching Mona Lisa smile promised something forbidden. She was “the American Eve” who proved too much of a temptation for famed architect Stanford White, shot to death in the “New Garden” he had created at Madison Square by Nesbit’s demented millionaire husband, Harry K. Thaw. The star witness in the first sensational "trial of the century," Nesbit was cast forever as "the girl in the red velvet swing." Tragically, almost as quickly as her star rose, America’s first super model, sex-goddess, and bona-fide celebrity fell victim to the very culture that created and consumed her."

A book about what was a huge scandal of that time. Interesting early modern history, sometimes very sad. One problem is that the author seems to have picked her rather verbose style of writing from those times as well, and sometimes the book is a bit more of a novelisation than strict biography / history. Still very interesting stuff, from a time both different and similar to our own, and with a sharp divide between the haves and have-nots, with some of the rich players playing very hard indeed.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPierre42wing at OsloS-OBCZ in Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, August 30, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/30/2009 UTC) at OsloS-OBCZ in Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway

Will be put in the shelf / satt i hylla.

Journal Entry 3 by wingOsloS-OBCZwing from Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, August 30, 2009

Released in the zone. Thank you!! :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingOsloS-OBCZwing from Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, September 02, 2009

This book is no longer in the zone.

Journal Entry 5 by wingOsloS-OBCZwing from Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Oops! Yes it is, I didn't look closely enough. Duh!! :-D

Journal Entry 6 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Friday, September 25, 2009

Oops again ... This book has actually been with me since September 3rd or 4th, I've just been forgetting to journal it. :-)

This book just seems so interesting, I know hardly anything about Evelyn Nesbit, I've just heard the name. But now I'll find out more about her story. :-)