corner corner Weekends at Bellevue

Weekends at Bellevue
by Julie Holland | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingitpdxwing of Portland, Oregon USA on Tuesday, August 25, 2009

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingitpdxwing from Portland, Oregon USA on Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A very interesting memoir. Dr. Holland describes her nine years as the psychiatrist in charge of Bellevue's Psychiatric ER on weekend nights--the funny, the crazy, the lying, the scary, the touching patients. How her armor slowly started to wear thin. I can't imagine wanting to deal with the mentally ill as they come in in ambulances, police vehicles and under their own power. And being under time and space pressure to figure what is wrong and what should be done with them.

Julie explains why I have difficulty dealing with the homeless mentally ill on our streets. "... in our culture, the mentally ill are demonized and shunned. They are ostracized and marginalized as a by-product of our primal fear of going crazy ourselves."

Advance Reading Copy

Journal Entry 2 by wingitpdxwing from Portland, Oregon USA on Monday, August 31, 2009

This will be going out as a ray. The list so far is:
Vekiki UK
Mizuchy Romania
spaceystacey US
nancynova US
RaggedWood US

check for updates
updated 27 Sept 09

Journal Entry 3 by wingitpdxwing at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 31, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (8/31/2009 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

This is on its way to Vekiki for the beginning of a bookray.

Journal Entry 4 by wingVekikiwing from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, September 18, 2009

Argh! Why do bookrings all arrive at the same time?? One more to go before I get to this, but shouldnt be too long
Thankyou!

Journal Entry 5 by wingVekikiwing at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (10/7/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This was an interesting read - though I thought the writing wasnt particually great, Julie has certainly had an interesting career & was very honest about it

Posted onto the next in line...

Journal Entry 6 by Mizuchy from Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania and Partium Romania on Monday, November 02, 2009

I read the book over the weekend. Not what I expected it to be, from the title, but a very engulfing read nevertheless. Now on to the next bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 7 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Sunday, December 20, 2009

Received in the post. Will be reading over the Christmas Holidays. Have already pmed the next reader on the list for her address.

12/22/2009 reading this evening. What an enthralling memoir!

Journal Entry 8 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Got this today. A few rays ahead of it. Looks interesting!

Journal Entry 9 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Started on the commute in this morning. Has me hooked already!

Journal Entry 10 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, January 24, 2010

Finished. I liked it - but the hospitals described were close to my home - and the mentally ill - spot on with what I encounter on the streets to work each day.

PM'g the next person in the ray (again) to see if she wants it.

Journal Entry 11 by wingNancyNovawing at Manteca, California USA on Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/27/2010 UTC) at Manteca, California USA

And it's off to California on it's journey. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by RaggedWood from Manteca, California USA on Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, April 18, 2010

Entertaining. Just like watching a bunch of episodes of ER.

CAUGHT IN ROCHESTER MN USA