corner corner When We Were Orphans

When We Were Orphans
by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingfleurdelyswing of Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on 8/25/2009

status (set by ApoloniaX): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingfleurdelyswing from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TO THE FINDER:
Please visit www.bookcrossing.com to make a journal entry and let me know that this book has been caught and what you thought of it so I know that it has found a good home with you. If you are new to BookCrossing and decide to join, please indicate that you were referred by fleurdelys.
Then, leave the book in a cafe, pub, park bench.....wherever takes your fancy.
If you join bookcrossng, you can make a release note and watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s free, and spam-free(you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address).
Have fun!

Journal Entry 2 by wingfleurdelyswing at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Saturday, August 29, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (8/26/2009 UTC) at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom

Given to cluricaune.

Journal Entry 3 by cluricaune from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Monday, August 31, 2009

Love this one - the only one better that he's done is "Never Let Me Go". (And yes, I've read "The Remains of the Day").

Pretty sure there's someone I know who wants to read this...I just have to try and remember who :S

Journal Entry 4 by cluricaune at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Saturday, October 17, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (10/17/2009 UTC) at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom

Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen.

Journal Entry 5 by Joika from Kiiminki, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Monday, October 26, 2009

Thank you cluricaune for this book that arrived by mail today. I've never read Kazuo Ishiguro and now it's finally time for that. The time and sphere for the story of this novel certainly sound interesting! And so do the praises on the back cover. :)

Journal Entry 6 by Joika from Kiiminki, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Monday, November 09, 2009

I began to like the story from the very first pages of the book. I was very much intrigued by the flow of the language and the way the tension was created. Kazuo Ishiguro is certainly a skillful writer. When once started with the book I could hardly put it down.I came to think that a child's view on the happenings is a good way of creating thrill as the memories and understanding of a child leave open spots in the plot.

The protagonist was such cleverly portrayed! First I totally trusted his view of the world and the way he described happenings. He also showed that his perspective and memories aren't necessarily the right ones, they are only one way of seeing things. And still I trusted his opinions. But somewhere during the journey I began to suspect his state of mind at the same time as he became naive and so convinced about the solution. But then, I was only thinking that maybe that's the way the author has chosen to be. The rest of the book I was pondering upon this question time after time and I just had to read fast further to reach the unravelment in the end.

Many thoughts occurred to me when reading this novel. When thinking about the situation of Akira's family and the fact that most of them didn't want to live in Shanghai but in Japan whereas Akira just hated the idea of going back to Japan, I realized it's such a big dilemma that cannot be solved so that the solution would please everyone. It's so sad, I think. Someone has to sacrifice. These situations are pretty common in life. Living abroad is not always that easy and many immigrants have to solve these kinds of issues. Well, this may not be the big point in this novel, but one that caught my eye. But the novel was certainly about sacrifices, and it made me think about parents and how their children mean everything to them.

An excellent piece of writing provoking many thoughts! I will certainly keep the author's name in my mind.

Journal Entry 7 by Mergylien at Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sorry :)

I took this book from BC-meating and i didn't do a journal entry :(

Well I have read "When We Were Orphans" and I really liked it. It was very well written.

Journal Entry 8 by kasenka at Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala / Södra Karelen Finland on Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I took this book at BC-meet-up in Oulu last week. Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by kasenka at Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala / Södra Karelen Finland on Monday, September 10, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (9/10/2012 UTC) at Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala / Södra Karelen Finland

Bookcrossing Monopoly Community Bookshelf Release, Turn Twelve

Happy trails!

Journal Entry 10 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, September 21, 2012

Wow! A beautiful parcel, with a wishlist book! I love bookcrossing (and the monopoly-game!)
Thanks a lot!

Journal Entry 11 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A very good read! Thanks again!

Journal Entry 12 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (12/12/2012 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

I hope you will like the book as much as I did!

Journal Entry 13 by Mariabokmal at Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Saturday, December 15, 2012

I have already read this wonderful book, so will pass this copy along as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 14 by Mariabokmal at Norges hus in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Friday, April 19, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/20/2013 UTC) at Norges hus in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

At the annual Bookcrossing convention!

Journal Entry 15 by wingApoloniaXwing at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Sunday, April 21, 2013

One of the left-over books from the Conventions's book tables.

Read it a few years ago - a great novel!

Journal Entry 16 by wingApoloniaXwing at Somewhere in the city center ... in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/20/2013 UTC) at Somewhere in the city center ... in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Released in Gothenburg...