corner corner Burn This Book ... and Move On With Your Life

Burn This Book ... and Move On With Your Life
by Jessica Hurley | Health, Mind & Body
Registered by jessibud of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 8/24/2009

status (set by fusillifunk): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 24, 2009

A rather unusual title and concept, especially for a booklover, but in fact, this is a rather interesting idea and not at all preachy, as I expected it might be.

It's a small hardcover book but light and quite short. I read the entire book in half an hour. Rather than try to paraphrase, let me quote the blurb on the back:

"Throughout history, fire has been used as a symbol of renewal, catharsis and rebirth. [this book] brings this powerful form of purification to a personal level with 40 flammable suggestions for eliminating common problems. Each page addresses a new topic and includes supporting text that examines that particular issue, such as:

I will no longer blame my parents for my choices.
I will let go of the need to be perfect
I will cut loose unhealthy attachments.

Journal Entry 2 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 24, 2009

This little bookray is on its way!

Participants so far:

7 - NMReader - NM
8 - cardamom-wolfe - CA
9 - dakini6 - Alaska, USA
10- fusillifunk - Portugal (intn'l) - <-- currently here
11- Mizuchy - Romania (intn'l)
12- faerie-glen - Germany (intn'l)
13- Vekiki - UK (UK/Europe preferred)
14- AliceF - UK (intn'l)

The 2 pages I have chosen to rid myself of are: *I Will Clear My Clutter* and *I Will Break Habits that are Harmful to my Health*. Now, if I can only be true to my convictions and stick to this!

The rules for this ray are the usual: please journal when you receive it, and again after you're done. PM ahead for the mailing addy of the next person. There were 40 pages in this book (38, actually, since I took my 2). There are also a few blank pages at the end so if you wanted to create your own *issue* page to burn, please do! I've stated one or 2 pages per person but I'll leave it up to you to decide if you only want to do one, or if you absolutely HAVE TO do 3.....!
;-)

Journal Entry 3 by raerae78 from Watervliet, New York USA on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Received in today's mail from Jessibud! Thank you for sharing! I will journal again as soon as I pick my page.

Journal Entry 4 by nightraine56 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Thursday, November 12, 2009

I received this today. It looks like an interesting book. I am going through some changes with my life right now and I am sure I will find something.

Journal Entry 5 by Gzusgirl from Overland Park, Kansas USA on Thursday, December 31, 2009

Received today! :D I can't wait to read through it and make my selections... some of these seem really challenging. :) Thanks for letting me participate!

Journal Entry 6 by Gzusgirl from Overland Park, Kansas USA on Saturday, January 09, 2010

I chose two: I will put off procrastination and I will say sayonara to stress. I leave for college tomorrow for my last (hopefully!!) semester of college, and it's going to be the hardest one yet. I'm taking on a lot of hard classes, plus am going to try and manage a job (to save up for living on my own after May, when my parents stop paying for everything all at once [GACK!])... it's going to be tough. So I think these two are incredibly appropriate. The only way I'm going to survive this semester is to 1) Be more disciplined (aka no more procrastinating) and 2) Learn to deal with stress (I do NOT do this well - I freak out and give up and just completely shut down instead of doing what I need to do). I'm not going to burn them yet, but am going to take them to college with me and burn them on my first day back, when my boyfriend can be there to watch and keep me accountable later in the semester. :) I'm really serious about this!! ^_^ Thanks so much for letting me participate. I'll be sending it on to esq228 soon!

-Jesse

Journal Entry 7 by Gzusgirl at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/27/2010 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed from my campus post office.... soon will be in the arms of the next person in the ring! :D

Journal Entry 8 by StinaRy from Long Beach, California USA on Saturday, February 13, 2010

Arrived last week, but forgot to journal. Will be reading soon. THanks!

Journal Entry 9 by StinaRy from Long Beach, California USA on Monday, March 01, 2010

I've chosen 2 (but probably could have chosen even more than that): "I will ignore impatience" and "I will reduce the number of buts and ors in my life."

Thanks to jessibud for this fantastic bookray!! I will be sending this on to oi-reader as soon as I have an address.

Shipped via U.S. Media Mail on 3/2/10. :)

Journal Entry 10 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Arrived safely on Saturday. Many thanks for allowing me to participate Jessibud!
Having gone through some major life changes in the past 18 months I could really relate to most of the pages in this book, however one really stood out as something i know I need to work on. Page 15 "I will negate my need to control". Admittedly, I am too rigid in many areas of my life, too regimented and set in my ways. When things do not go as normal I tend to get upset rather than "go with the flow".

Sooo...that being said, page 15 is gone! It will be burnt in our first backyard fire of the season this weekend.

I've pm'd jsmeltser for an address and will get this sent asap!

Journal Entry 11 by oi-reader at Toledo, Ohio USA on Saturday, March 13, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/13/2010 UTC) at Toledo, Ohio USA

off to the next reader! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by jsmeltser from Fort Madison, Iowa USA on Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Received in today's mail. I'll PM the next 'reader' and make my selections ASAP.

Journal Entry 13 by jsmeltser from Fort Madison, Iowa USA on Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I chose I Will Not Let Anger Reach The Boiling Point and I Will Deny Denial. Had to paraphrase those as U burned them before I journaled. :)

Journal Entry 14 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Friday, March 26, 2010

It arrived on Wed. I hope to make choices over weekend and get mailed soon

Journal Entry 15 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A quick little update on the book

I read the whole book and have narrowed down my selection. I leave on a business trip this afternoon. When I return I will finalize my selection and get the book ready to mail. I expect to be going to the PO on 4/1/10

Journal Entry 16 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, April 01, 2010

I removed the pages for "I will free myself from my fears." and "I will set my burning passions free."

I think the whole book is a great idea. I had been told about this idea by my massage therapist shortly after my divorce. She suggested I have a little ceremony and take slips of paper and write down the broken promises, hurts, etc. And as I placed each individually in the fire think or say "I release myself from anything associated with ______________." She suggested only doing one or two at a time and before placing it in the fire remember something about what was written on the slip and after remember something I had gained relative to that item since then.

Journal Entry 17 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, April 01, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/1/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I have the book ready to mail and hope to drop at the PO on my way home from work.

Delivery Confirmation #: 0309 3220 0001 8477 6501

Journal Entry 18 by cardamom-wolfe from Los Angeles, California USA on Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Received the book from NMReader on Friday. What a great idea - I'll look through it this week when I have a moment but I'm leaning towards "I will let go of my need to prove myself to others" (p35). But I need to peruse it more and pick another page as well. I hope to have the book on to dakini6 by Saturday!
Again, Jessibud - thanks and great idea!

Journal Entry 19 by cardamom-wolfe from Los Angeles, California USA on Friday, April 16, 2010

So much fun! I'm sending the book on today to Dakini6 in Alaska. Enjoy!! The book def made me think of ways of "moving forward" with life and I've taken out the following pages to be burnt(!) this weekend:
1. I will not live my life with regrets - I don't necc regret past decisions but I do often replay them and wonder if I should have chosen other things, which is basically living with regret. Time to stop and enjoy what I have 100%!
2. I will let go of my need to prove myself to others - yikes, tough one but a good one!

Thanks again Jessibud for this interactive read!

Journal Entry 20 by dakini6 at Anchorage, Alaska USA on Monday, June 28, 2010

Boy did i ever need this book. ;) Received ages ago, i carefully read every page of it when it arrived, didn't find any pages that "spoke" to me at that moment, and set it aside to deal with later. Fast forward to me going through the monstrous pile of things that have accumulated that were set aside to deal with later. I find this little book, quickly flip through, find two perfect pages right off the bat, and i'm on way to clearing through this pile. I chose "I will cut loose unhealthy attachments" which will be my mantra in clearing out things i have held onto over the years that i no longer need. I also chose "I will let go of the need to be perfect" which to me means it time stop putting things off until every detail surrounding a situation is just so before i can start, and just dive right in. Sorry for the delay; thanks for the inspiration!

Journal Entry 21 by dakini6 at Anchorage, Alaska USA on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/30/2010 UTC) at Anchorage, Alaska USA

Mailed this off to the next reader (burner). Enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by fusillifunk at Santa Maria da Feira, Aveiro Portugal on Sunday, July 18, 2010

I got the book last week, but have been so busy I forgot to make an entry. Now I'm going on vacations, so I'll probably take this one along with me.
dakini6, how nice of you to send hostel panflets and flower seeds (that was such a cool idea)! Thanks. The seeds are already sprouting.

Journal Entry 23 by fusillifunk at Aveiro, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/22/2010 UTC) at Aveiro, Aveiro Portugal

This book was more useful to me than I thought it would be. It's interesting how rituals can make a decision turn into a new chapter in life.
I chose "I will root out the roots of my depression" and "I will unload my information overload".

I'm sending it to Mizuchy tomorrow morning.