corner corner Not the End of the World

Not the End of the World
by Kate Atkinson | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by soffitta1 of Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, August 24, 2009

status (set by AgdaAgulina): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by soffitta1 from Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, August 24, 2009

Bought in a charity shop.

I have read quite a few of Atkinson's books, where even the most mainstream have a sense of the fantastical about them.

These stories are independent, though at times linked. In Transparent Fiction, a family legend is told which is then told in full later on in The Bodies Vest.

There are recurring themes: mythology, animals, Greece and the weird and wonderful Zane family. Even the most normal of the stories has strange elements, giving a quirky, off-beat feeling to the collection. 2 stories particularly grabbed me, the first, Unseen Translation, where Missy, a trouble shooting nanny meets her match in Arthur, the love child of a rock star and a tabloid queen. Missy's no nonsense approach works well with her charge, a very cultured and receptive boy. The second was Tunnel of Fish, showing us how we lose our ability to show our feelings as we age, and that children often are more together than us.

Journal Entry 2 by soffitta1 at Kava Kava Kava near Andel in Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Sunday, August 30, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (8/30/2009 UTC) at Kava Kava Kava near Andel in Praha, Praha Czech Republic

On the bookcase.

Journal Entry 3 by AgdaAgulina from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Made me happy this book already - haven't hunted for books for quite awhile, but now we saw this release alert and off we went!! I haven't been in KavaKavaKava before and got a good Ice Latte to go, with a book...

Journal Entry 4 by misterpip at Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Monday, June 21, 2010

Great fantastic-realistic short stories- playful and catchy. Easy reading, funny situations. One of my favorite things about this book was the slight overlaps between characters in the stories- never enough to make real connections, but just so you know they are all somehow related in this fictional world.

Looking forward to reading more from this author!

Journal Entry 5 by AgdaAgulina at Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Monday, June 21, 2010

What a book! I really enjoyed it much more than I expected - the stories were hilarious! Such a refreshing read, crazy characters and happenings, constantly surprising. It was also fun and clever how the stories got involved with each other. Great read.

I actually liked it so much, that I might want to read it again. Meanwhile it could pick up some more readers - I'll try share the experience and offer it as a ring.

Off it goes:

vexter (SLO)
raeliz64 (UK)
BethanieKay (USA)
polenka (FIN)

Journal Entry 6 by vexter at Ljubljana, Osrednja Slovenija - Okolica Ljubljane in Ljubljana Slovenia on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

It's here, yay! :) I'm having trouble figuring out this new Bookcrossing interface, so I hope this comes through. :P

Journal Entry 7 by vexter at Ljubljana, Osrednja Slovenija - Okolica Ljubljane in Ljubljana Slovenia on Monday, July 12, 2010

Delightfully surreal! I liked the connections between the stories, it kept me on my toes, trying to figure them out.

Sent to raeliz64 today.

Journal Entry 8 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, July 16, 2010

Received today - thanks very much. I have a couple of books to read before this one, but I'll get to it as soon as I can :-)

Journal Entry 9 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 07, 2010

I'm not usually a fan of short stories, but I am a fan of Kate Atkinson and this book did not disappoint. I loved the little links between stories and the way that the fantastical and the mundane were entwined

Journal Entry 10 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Posted to BethanieKay today.

Journal Entry 11 by BethanieKay at Fort Worth, Texas USA on Sunday, August 15, 2010

Received in the mail today -- thanks! I've read 3 of Atkinson's other books and loved them all. Am interested to read this one, as it seems to be a bit of a different style/genre. I'm just finishing up my current read, then will start this one. I'm a fast reader, so shouldn't be too long :)

Journal Entry 12 by BethanieKay at Fort Worth, Texas USA on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I've read 3 of Atkinson's "Jackson Brodie" novels, and loved all of them -- but I didn't so much love this one :( And, I can't even blame the author -- her writing is still great. I just don't like short stories, but I thought I would try this anyway. However, I just couldn't enjoy this book. When I read a book, I really need more character and story development than short stories can offer. With this collection of short stories, I found myself not caring enough about any of these characters, because I didn't know enough about them -- and just when I was starting to understand what was happening, the stories ended. I was also a bit frustrated that I thought the stories were all independent, but then I started realizing some of the characters spilled into other stories -- and then that frustrated me because I couldn't figure out the connection, if there was one, between the similar characters in the different stories. Overall, I just had to abandon it because I wasn't enjoying it.

I'm still glad that I read it, though! That's one of the great things about Bookcrossing -- trying new things! :)

I've PMd the next in line for an address and will get this in the mail soon.

Journal Entry 13 by BethanieKay at a fellow BookCrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, August 19, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (8/19/2010 UTC) at a fellow BookCrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Book is now on its way to polenka in Finland via US Air Mail. Thanks for letting me join!

Journal Entry 14 by polenka at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland on Monday, August 30, 2010

Thank you, I got the book last week, but the journaling was not working. Looking forward reading this!

Journal Entry 15 by polenka at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland on Sunday, October 24, 2010

I liked this book very much. Although I often got the feeling that I couldn't quite grasp the meaning of a story or it ended too soon, I enjoyed reading these short stories. I like little bit weird characters and the unnatural/fantastic elements in stories. Little bit magic in the story never hurts :) I'd like to read more from this author, although it seems that she doesn't usually write this genre.

Sending back to AgdaAgulina when I get the address. Thanks for the ring!

Journal Entry 16 by AgdaAgulina at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, November 15, 2010

Thank you very much for all in the ring! The book is back home now, and hopefully soon will find it's way on...