corner corner Death Comes As Epiphany

Death Comes As Epiphany
by Sharan Newman | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Charleston, South Carolina USA on 8/22/2009

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, August 22, 2009

One of the multitudes of unregistered books in bumma's room when cancer claimed her June 28. She asked me to register and release her library for her. I do so in her memory and in her honor. She was the one who instilled my love of reading and of books. She was a fantastic mom and I miss her.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sending this off to resqgeek as part of a project to distribute bumma's books

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, August 22, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/22/2009 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Off to resqgeek, because I figure he'd find another themed release good for it.

Journal Entry 4 by ResQgeek from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Today's mail brought a package of books from a friend who has been very much on my mind recently. I'm pleased to be receiving some books from the fabulous Bumma! This one sounds interesting, so I just might have to add it to my Mt. TBR.

Journal Entry 5 by ResQgeek from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, September 25, 2009

Catherine LeVendeur, the heroine of this novel, is ill-suited to the realities of her era. Strong-willed and learned, she has little interest in the subservient life expected of wives in the 12th century. Her only chance for happiness is life as a cloistered nun, working and studying within the confines of a convent. Unfortunately for her, someone has set out to discredit her order, pointing to a psalter made by Catherine as evidence that they are promoting heretical teachings. At the request of the Abbess, Catherine sets out to uncover the source of these attacks. What she uncovers is a tangled web of conspiracy, theft and madness that threatens to destroy her family. Can Catherine overcome her worldly innocence and unravel the threads of the mystery, or will the forces of evil prevail?

Filled with rich detail, this story transports the reader back to medieval France, providing an authentic glimpse at the struggles of life in the middle ages. From the power of the clergy, to the violence of both the knights and the poor, this book doesn't shy away from the less pleasant aspect of life in the period, but provides a believably realistic setting for the story. It should satisfy readers who enjoy historical fiction as well as those fans of complex mysteries.

Journal Entry 6 by ResQgeek at Upper Marlboro, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 14, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (11/14/2009 UTC) at Upper Marlboro, Maryland USA

Placed on the table at today's BC-in-DC meeting at Starbucks at the Blvd. @ the Capital Center shopping center.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, November 15, 2009

Picked this up at yesterday's BC in DC meet in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. It looks interesting.

Journal Entry 8 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I am bringing this on my vacation to Japan. If I finish it before I get back, I'll leave it there. I'll make release notes after I return.

Journal Entry 9 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, March 28, 2010

Unfortunately, I did not finish reading this while I was in Japan. This book did travel to Tokyo and Osaka - and then back to Virginia once again.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ready for round two? I'm taking this on my second overseas trip of the spring, this time to Amsterdam for the 2010 BookCrossing Convention. If I finish reading it before I return, I'll leave it there and make release notes when I get home.

Journal Entry 11 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, April 29, 2010

Melydia and I traded the BCID numbers of the books that were going with us on our trip to Amsterdam. We travelled close together almost all of the time and helped each other carry books and other things about the country when our 1 week trip suddenly became a 2 week trip.

Each night until this book was finished I saw melydia get it out and read it. Then she would put the book down, turn off the light and promptly go to sleep. However, that is not to say it was because of this book. This happened even when she had finished this one and started another!

I feel honored to get the chance to journal this "bumma book" and I look forward to hearing of its travels in the future.

Journal Entry 12 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Friday, April 30, 2010

Catherine LeVendeur is a novice nun who, while devoted to God, is more interested in the fact that living in a convent allows her to study and learn. When a psalter she helped write is defiled, the abbess sends her home to discover the vandal. In the midst of this she is swept up in a mystery of murder, theft, and vanity, as well as a timid budding romance with a secretive man. I enjoyed this one, which surprised me a little since I'm not much of a mystery reader, but I think what fascinated me most was the detailed description of life in the 12th century. It was very different from now, and it takes a talented writer to convincingly portray such characters without showing them in a modern light. Sure, perhaps Catherine herself is more progressive than was likely for a woman of those years, but she is engaging enough that one can overlook it. I may have to look up some other Newman books.

I'd like to mention that this book not only traveled to Amsterdam, but also to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland. and Germany, as it journeyed with me on our volcano-inspired road trip with KomradRikardo, crrcookie, Skyring, and Mrs. Skyring. Good times. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 13 by wingmelydiawing at Artis, Aquariumgebouw in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, April 30, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/26/2010 UTC) at Artis, Aquariumgebouw in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Left on a bench near the restrooms inside the aquarium at Artis Zoo. Great place. I hope someone enjoys it.
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 14 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, May 09, 2010

I found the book in a Zoo (Artis) located in Amsterdam.
I was waiting for my family to come back from the bathroom so it was a great spot to find a book, so I could kill time.
I’m planning on reading it and then leave it somewhere. I haven’t figured out where to leave it yet.

Love Cynthia