corner corner The Darcys and the Bingleys

The Darcys and the Bingleys
by Marsha Altman | Literature & Fiction
Registered by shelj7k of Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on 8/14/2009

status (set by xvinneyx): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, August 14, 2009

Dear Reader

Welcome to BookCrossing if it is your first time here. I am really pleased that you found this book. It is a gift from me to you. If you wish you may hold on to it but I hope that you will pass it on, either to a friend or loved one, or by leaving it to be found again. That way our book will be on an adventurous journey which we can follow as it gets passed along.

In the meantime, did you read the book? What did you think of it? Also, what do you think of the idea of BookCrossing? Feel free to write any thoughts when you come back to make a release note for this book.

While you are here, why not take a look around our website? It is completely free to register and, if you do so, you will receive email alerts when this book is found again. I would be delighted if you wish to mention me, shelj7k, as the member who introduced you.

All best wishes

Journal Entry 2 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Three days before their double wedding, Charles Bingley is desperate to have a word with his dear friend Fitzwilliam Darcy, seeking advice of a most delicate nature. Bingley is shocked when Darcy gives him a copy of The Kama Sutra - but it does tell him everything he needs to know.

Eventually, of course, Jane finds this remarkable volume and in utmost secrecy shows it to her dear sister Elizabeth, who goes searching for a copy in the Pemberley library...

By turns hilarious and sweet, The Darcys & The Bingleys follows the two couples and the cast of characters surrounding them. Miss Caroline Bingley, it turns out, has such good reasons for being the way she is that the reader can't help but hold her in charity. Delightfully, she makes a most eligible match, and in spite of Darcy's abhorrence of being asked for advice, he and Bingley have a most endearing and adventure-prone friendship.

My comments?... This book was absolute twaddle! The above summary from the back of the book is inaccurate. (Thankfully)! Although the book reads like it was written by a hormone fuelled 14 year old, it was a relief to find that pretty much all of the physical intimacy between the couples is after the fact. The characters of Darcy and Bingley are so removed from Jane Austen's, as to bear very little resemblance to the originals. I can get over that, I have long ago stopped hoping for Jane's skill in that respect. The story was ridiculous, the language used deteriorated from passably authentic to modern vernacular and, while I don't usually notice or care about Americanisms, they were glaringly irritating here. The above describes the story as by turns hilarious and sweet and it is for this that it earns two stars. It was occasionally sweet and hilarious but usually for the wrong reasons, one such being geographical inaccuracies (Sydney is the capital of Australia?).

My advice?... Skip this one and read the oringinal!!!

Journal Entry 3 by shelj7k at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 01, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (2/13/2010 UTC) at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sending this to my friends sfogs! Enjoy

Journal Entry 4 by Sfogs from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, March 01, 2010

Thank you sooo much shelj7k~!!!
Both books arrived safe though the packaging had given up and the post office had put the package, books and all, into a clear bag! ^-^
Which my kitten tried to kill...sooo adorable to watch!

Journal Entry 5 by Sfogs from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, March 21, 2010

This was such a cute and well written story! (for a laugh that is!!) ^-^
I left this book on the coffee table while I did the dishes and when I came back it was gone! I turned to see that my dad was reading it! He only reads car magazines usually! But we all love the BBC 6 hour version of Pride and Prejudice!
Thanks shelj7k!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A good laugh!

CAUGHT IN CHRISTCHURCH CANTERBURY NEW ZEALAND

Journal Entry 7 by Sfogs at Christchurch, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand on Monday, May 24, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (5/24/2010 UTC) at Christchurch, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand

Given to grandma to read.

Journal Entry 8 by xvinneyx at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, February 04, 2011

A good laugh really, as this modern outlook on what may have happened to the ladies of Darcys & Bingleys as they married etc. A bit far fetched, buy enjoyable read.