corner corner The 19th Wife

The 19th Wife
by David Ebershoff | Literature & Fiction
Registered by istop4books of Castle Rock, Colorado USA on 8/10/2009

status (set by jmsmom): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Monday, August 10, 2009

To replace Perryfran's lost copy.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Monday, August 10, 2009

Bookring
This is a replacement for my bookray which was lost. See this JE for prior entries. Thanks istop4books for replacing the book so it can continue on its journey. Please PM if you would like to join.

Remaining participants:

. istop4books from Minnesota, USA (US and Canada only)
. Shann24lvr from Missouri, USA (International - not Portugal)
. pammykn from Alabama, USA (International)<----Skip - already read book
. spoiledrotten from New Jersey, USA (US only)
. snapdragongirl from Texas, USA (US/Canada only))<----Skipped
. hyphen8 (Hawaii, USA - US preferred)
. DoveiLibri from Florida, USA (US/Canada only)
. darkpunkangel from Canada (International)
. ajsmom from Canada (International)
. Supertalya from South Korea - APO address (International)
. Wandering-B from Hong Kong (International)
. amberC from Australia (Australia preferred - International if necessary)<----Skipped
. catbot from Australia (Australia only)<----Skipped
. bookseekerAT from Australia (International)
. davemurray101 from Australia (International)
. lmn60 from Australia (International)
. Midlifecrisis from UK (Europe preferred)<----Skipped
. chich from France (International)
. Pell from Italy (International)
. Icila from France (International)
. arugh48187 (Minnesota, USA - US only)
. NMReader from Virginia, USA (US only)

Return to me:
. perryfran from Utah, USA

Note: Order is subject to change based on shipping preferences and others joining the bookring.

How the bookray works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first)
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it but try to pass it on within a couple of months - others are waiting!)
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
* Send the book to the next person on the list (please use the cheapest shipping method available), make release notes (Controlled Release) or journal entry to let everyone know that it's in the mail

Please feel free to PM me at any time with questions

Bookring is now complete. THANKS everyone for participating!

Journal Entry 3 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Monday, August 10, 2009

First off, many thanks for Perryfran for seamlessly keeping the bookring running, as I was the one who lost the book on a trip.
The biggest reason the book got lost in the first place is because I couldn't put it down. When it came in the mail and I saw the size of it, I rolled my eyes thinking it would be a clunker, but I opened page one for a peek anyway and I was engrossed by the story immediately.

The author intertwines the historical beginnings of the church with the current consequences of polygamy, and he does so very well. Ann Eliza is Brigham's wife #19, and she is a questioner - which was very rare at that time. She got the short end of the religious stick on more than one occasion, and this lead her become her own person and question not only her beliefs but the motives behind this unusual religion. The factual history of Brigham Young, her one-time husband, is also fascinating.

Fast forward to current times and BeckyLyn Scott has been accused of shooting her husband to death. BeckyLyn was known as the 19th wife. Her son, kicked out of the FirstLDS and dropped off alone on a highway years earlier, hears about this and returns to see his mom. Although still a teenager, he's been through a lot and questions the Firsts, the Mormons and most religions along the way. He feels his mom was not capable of shooting her husband because of her deep-rooted and unbendable beliefs.

Both stories are compelling in their own way. It's very difficult to understand current day polygamists without understanding their history.
Why would a woman stay in a marriage when she has been shoved aside by newer and younger wives, over and over again? To figure it out, you have to go back to the teachings of the original church, and to what is left of it now. Their celestial marriages, their sacred underwear, their concept of heaven, of Gentiles and Mormons, of obedience to men. It's complicated and fascinating subject at the same time.

I've PM'd the next person in line and will be sending it out as soon as I hear from her.

ETA: PM'd again 13 Aug

Journal Entry 4 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I mailed this out this morning to Shann24lvr in Missouri via media mail. Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 5 by Shann24lvr from St. Clair, Missouri USA on Saturday, August 29, 2009

I recieved this book in the mail and is a part of a book ring I am involved in. I am set to finish up the book I am currently on and will begin to read this.
I am really looking forward to not only reading this book, but participating in my first ever book ring!

Journal Entry 6 by Shann24lvr at Fair Lawn, New Jersey USA on Friday, November 13, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (11/13/2009 UTC) at Fair Lawn, New Jersey USA

I enjoyed reading this book and very thankful to be a part of the book ring.

Journal Entry 7 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Received in the mail at the perfect time as I am ready to start my next book. Thanks for sending and including me.

Journal Entry 8 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Thursday, December 10, 2009

Absolutely LOVED this book. Very interesting on the way it was written both in the 1800's and current day. Certainly gave you plenty to think about. It proves not everything is as it seems. Thanks so much for sending and including me.

Journal Entry 9 by spoiledrotten at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, December 10, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (12/10/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

After several pm's and ISO to snapdragongirl for her address and receiving no reply I have sent this book on this morning to hyphen8. Hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 10 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, December 24, 2009

Sounds interesting! I'm in the middle of something else right now, but I'll get to this as soon as I can so it can keep moving. Thanks for including me. :)

Journal Entry 11 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fascinating, sad, absorbing, and sometimes infuriating. I'm glad that the story includes both the past and the near present, since the current state of affairs is definitely a part of the story of polygamy in America. The convoluted legal battles are a bit brain-twisting but I have to admit that there is a contradiction if on the one hand you say polygamy is illegal but on the other hand you say that the 19th wife deserves a divorce and alimony. I don't agree with the Firsts' way of looking at life by any means, but I can't see an easy solution to this problem either - no one wants it to end up like the Branch Davidians in Waco.

I'm glad I read this. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 12 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, January 21, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/22/2010 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

I have DoveiLibri's address so this book will be going out by the end of this week.

Free people read freely!

Journal Entry 13 by Dove-i-libri from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, January 25, 2010

Hi! I rec'd this book in the mail today! Thank you, Hyphen8, for the added surprises: bookmarks, postcards, stickers! I'm in the middle of a book by Elizabeth Berg right now, but it seems a quick read, and The 19th Wife is NEXT TBR! I'll journal again when I've started and when I send it off. I can't wait, I've actually already read the first chapter! But will have to put it down, as I promised the Elizabeth Berg book to someone already!

February 4, 2010: Started reading this today.

February 6, 2010: Finished today, I enjoyed how the author combined historical and current events into one story ... interesting. I've just sent a PM to DarkPunkAngel. Will send the book out as soon as I receive their address!

Later: I Received DarkPunkAngel's address. Will send the book out on Monday!

Journal Entry 14 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 06, 2010

The book has arrived safe and sound. Thanks DoveiLibri for passing this on. I'll get to the book as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 15 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 17, 2010

This was an interesting read, I really enjoyed the book!

PMed the next person in line and will pass it on when I get their address.

Journal Entry 16 by darkpunkangel at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 24, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/24/2010 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent today to ajsmom. Thanks perryfran for organizing this ray.

Journal Entry 17 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, April 29, 2010

Caught today, thank you!

Journal Entry 18 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Wow, this book was well-researched! Absolutely riveting & heart-rending, the story of Ann Eliza intertwined with modern First LDS'ers was impossible to put down. I live in BC, which is proudly home to a community called Bountiful, where polygamists were until just recently living in peace. I believe that has nearly come to an end, but then...this practice doesn't seem to just disappear, does it? I am fascinated by Mormonism, as it's such a new religion - I wonder when another new "prophet" will appear, starting another branch of Christianity - and how long it takes to build up a serious following.

Anyway - enough speculation. I enjoyed the book (so thanks for the ring!) and will pass it along as soon as I have the next address.

Journal Entry 19 by ajsmom at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 10, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (5/10/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent today by surface mail to Hong Kong! Enjoy.

ETA: Supertalya has a copy of this book, so it's on its' way to Wandering-B.

Journal Entry 20 by wandering-B at Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Monday, June 28, 2010

Received today in the post along with another. Have a few in front of it, but hope not to be too long. Thanks to all for sharing.

Journal Entry 21 by wandering-B at Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Monday, August 02, 2010

I haven't finished this one yet, but thought I would advise that I missed my window of opportunity to mail is one on. I will mail it out after we return from the States at the end of the month. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 22 by wandering-B at Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Wednesday, September 01, 2010

amberC has asked to be skipped. Waiting to hear from the next in line.

Journal Entry 23 by wandering-B at Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Sunday, September 12, 2010

Amber-C asked to be skipped, and catbot has not replied as of yet. Still trying.

Journal Entry 24 by wandering-B at Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Thursday, September 23, 2010

Posting off to bookseekerAT today - enjoy!

Journal Entry 25 by bookseekerAT at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 14, 2010

Many apologies for the delay in journalling. The book arrived some weeks ago, but have been overseas.
Looking forward to reading it, although I have quite a backlog. Will do my best to not hold things up!

Journal Entry 26 by bookseekerAT at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

I have not been able to get into this, and have to return to work tomorrow, with little prospect of making further progress, so passing it onto Davemurray101. Posted today

Journal Entry 27 by bookseekerAT at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/3/2011 UTC) at Sydney, New South Wales Australia

by post today

Journal Entry 28 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Just recieved in the post today - -thanks to BookseekerAT. And to Perryfran for sending on.

Journal Entry 29 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, January 09, 2011

A very interesting books. I can understand why some people thought it was a bit slow in the middle. It seems the last couple of years there has been a resurgence in Mormon fiction, ie. the HBO show 'Big Love', the Twilight Series etc, and this is just one of them. Anyway posting to lmn60 in the next few days.

Journal Entry 30 by davemurray101 at Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Sunday, January 09, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/9/2011 UTC) at Spotswood, Victoria Australia

posted to lmn60 of Spotswood, Victoria

Journal Entry 31 by winglmn60wing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, January 13, 2011

Arrrived safely... and bumped to the top of Mt TBR!

Journal Entry 32 by winglmn60wing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, February 19, 2011

Well I'm deeply embarrassed to admit that I actually finished this one about ten days ago. Real life got in the way of journalling - sorry about that!

I really enjoyed this novel - found it engaging and it held my interest throughout. The characters were well drawn and complex enough to feel 'real' and the way in which the book moved between the two timelines didn't 'jar' at all.
I'm curious to discover how historically accurate the story of Ann Eliza was... May need to do some 'googling' (don't we love the new verbs!) to find out more about her and the early years of Mormonism overall!

Thanks so much for sharing this one istop4books. Midlifecrisis has asked to be skipped, so I will send this one on to chich in the next few days!

Journal Entry 33 by winglmn60wing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, March 19, 2011

Oh my Lordy... I'm so embarrassed! I just found this one in my study - all neatly parcelled up and ready to send to chich! Big Oops! Will send it off this week!!!

Journal Entry 34 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Friday, June 10, 2011

It's here! It's here! I thought this one had gone MIA so I was really happy when I received it this morning:)

Thanks for passing it on lmn60 & thanks for hosting perryfran!:)

Journal Entry 35 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, July 14, 2011

What a fantastic read! I enjoyed both stories very much and found them very entertaining. I have read mixed reviews here and there for this novel, mainly because some readers seemed to find the modern-day story less satisfying than the historical one. I don't agree at all, on the contrary I think both stories are very well-balanced. Then again, I wasn't expecting to read a modern-day crime novel;)

The historical part of the book is very interesting. I knew very little about Mormons and LDS before reading The 19th Wife, which made this read even more compelling. As others have said before, I was a bit taken aback by the size of the book when I first saw it but I once I started reading I just couldn't but it down:)

Thanks again for sharing this book with us perryfran, and for letting me keep a bit longer:-)

I have Pell's address and will be sending her the book tomorrow

Journal Entry 36 by chich at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 14, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (7/15/2011 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Pell today, enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 37 by Pell at Canino, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Book arrived today, thank you chich, It was so nice to find it in my mailbox as I havent done much BCing for quite a while due to too many commitments, however I am half way through another book at the moment and am looking forward to starting this one.

Journal Entry 38 by Pell at Canino, Lazio Italy on Sunday, August 28, 2011

Enjoyed reading this fascinating story, split into two time periods. I didnt know much about the Mormon faith so this too was very interesting, portraying the beginnings and the ends of Mormon polygamy. Thank you for this BR and hope other readers enjoy it as much as I did, I will forward it on its travels tomorrow to France.

Journal Entry 39 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, September 05, 2011

Received this morning. Thanks Pell ! I now have your address ;)

Journal Entry 40 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, September 29, 2011

I was aware of the issues concerning the Mormons, I have read "Church of lies"
I'm glad to have had the opportunity to read this one which gives a large overview on the subject.

Journal Entry 41 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, October 10, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (10/10/2011 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to USA.

Journal Entry 42 by arugh48187 at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, December 17, 2011

Caught this one in my PO box today. I hadn't been to the post office in a couple of months, so if you were worried, sorry about that. Should be read in the next month or so.
Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 43 by arugh48187 at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Thursday, January 26, 2012

I can't say that this one lived up to its rave reviews. I guess my expectations were too high. It was terribly dry in some spots and rivetting in others. The whole polygamy thing was horrifying and seemed to be set up for the sole purpose of justifying male philandering in the name of religion. To each their own. I suppose if you are raised in that culture it seems normal and perfectly reasonable. Funny how underground railroads are only set up to escape the terrible.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I will drop this in the mail as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 44 by arugh48187 at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/1/2012 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, Minnesota USA

Sending off to NMReader who is next on the list. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 45 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

it has arrived .

Journal Entry 46 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I started this book a little bit ago but as it is not the only book I have going at this time, it may take awhile for me to finish it.

So far it is interesting to compare and contrast "present day" and Brigham Young's 19th wife.

I am approximately 75 pages into the book so far (or 1/7th of the way through). The nice short chapters make this the easy book to pick up when I have only a few minutes.

Feb 26: I am on page 360. Made good progress this weekend. I want to be done with this book by next weekend. I am definitely enjoying the story - presently finding the first 19th wife story more compeling than the one set in present times.

Journal Entry 47 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, March 05, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/3/2012 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

Dropped at the PO on Sat.

Good read - thanks for sharing

Delivery Confirmation #:0311 2550 0003 3425 3674

Journal Entry 48 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Monday, March 12, 2012

Received in today's mail. Thanks everyone for participating in this bookring! My wife wants to read this and then I will send it on a new journey.

Edit: My wife decided not to read this so am making available.

Journal Entry 49 by wingperryfranwing at Virtual Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (8/3/2013 UTC) at Virtual Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sending to booklady331 in FL. A selection from Ollie's VBB. Enjoy! This is a well-traveled and well-worn copy that was sent out as a bookray.

Journal Entry 50 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, August 10, 2013

The book arrived today. Thank you for sending me this well travelled book.

Journal Entry 51 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, April 29, 2016

Started this book this morning. I didn't realize that I have had it for so long. I will pass it along when I finish with it.

Journal Entry 52 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Have nothing new to add to what the others journalled. I find it hard to believe that a woman would enter into a plural "marriage."

Journal Entry 53 by wingbooklady331wing at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, May 06, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (5/6/2016 UTC) at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

KTM RABCK to Jackie700

Journal Entry 54 by wingJackie700wing at Garnerville, New York USA on Saturday, May 14, 2016

The book arrived today which made Friday even better than usual....thanks for the RABCK, booklady :-)

Journal Entry 55 by wingJackie700wing at Garnerville, New York USA on Monday, May 30, 2016

This is quite a book. The author presented the beliefs of the Mormons, the Latter-Day Saints, and the Firsts in an even-handed, clear way. It's not easy or fair to dismiss the faith of the followers by simply saying that "celestial [plural] marriages" are forced by the men, and that the women are too frightened to resist. Simply put, the issue goes deeper than that. The story is well-written and compelling.

Thanks again for the RABCK, Booklady. Initially I thought I would wild release it, but I'm offering it as a RABCK. It has already done a fair amount of traveling, and I'd like to keep it going.

Journal Entry 56 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Stony Point, New York USA on Sunday, July 03, 2016

I found it interesting how the author brings the reader so easily from the 1800's to present day, and back again. The book is well written and explores a subject which is difficult to comprehend.

Journal Entry 57 by wingJackie700wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New York USA on Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (7/26/2016 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New York USA

RABCK sent to jmsmom - Enjoy the book!

Released as part of the KTM Challenge (Keep Them Moving)

Journal Entry 58 by jmsmom at Newalla, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Received today from Jackie700. Thank you!