corner corner Star Gazing

Star Gazing
by Linda Gillard | Literature & Fiction
Registered by TheLostBook of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 10, 2009

status (set by BooksandMusic): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 10, 2009

Star Gazing was this week shortlisted for the inaugural Robin Jenkins Literary Award for new writing about the Scottish environment. (Thanks LyzzyBee for the heads-up.)

I bought this copy at the BCUK Unconvention 2009 in Edinburgh, where author Linda Gillard gave a workshop. I told Linda I'd be sharing it via BookCrossing, so she inscribed it "For my BookCrossing friends". I'm going to send it out on a bookray. PM at any time, with your shipping preferences, to join. The book is a small (261pp) paperback, it weighs about 200g (7 oz) and is about 18mm thick.

Bookray
Nell-Lu, UK (Int)
Famulus, UK (Int)
mrbaggins1, South Africa (Int)
Tori58, USA (Int)
KiwiinEngland, Dublin (anywhere except USA)
ETMadrid, UK (Int)
lauraloo29, Canada (Int)
Rrrcaron, US (US)
tostle, US (US)

Bookray complete!

Journal Entry 2 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 10, 2009

Star Gazing ends like something by Beethoven.

Ta dum! - and you think it's ended.

Ta da dum! - is that the end?

Ta da dum da dum - finally, it's over.

The first ending was, I thought, incredibly brave. It was cruel to both reader and characters, but felt like a strong authorial decision.

The second ending was weaker. After the partial collapse, it was inevitable that more would follow.

The final ending? Well, it was kind.

I enjoyed Star Gazing. It is well characterised, strongly plotted and engaging. The different narrative voices (Marianne, her sister Louisa and an omniscient third person) are well distinguished - although, the typography is horrible (three different fonts, the one for Louisa in italics) and Louisa perhaps a little self-indulgent (a middle aged author courted by Hollywood and with the perfect toy boy).

Whatever: the central relationship is glorious. Marianne, blind from birth, experiences the world and other people differently - but, more to the point, she's still scarred by the loss of her husband. Her new attachment to Keir, who turns out to be neither imaginary nor a six foot rabbit, is a delicate thing; a tiny hopeful melody, carefully constructed and occasionally soaring.

Journal Entry 3 by Nell-Lu at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (8/19/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to Famulus - happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by Famulus from Hertford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Received this morning on my return to work from a brief holiday - it's now top of my Mt 2B, as I've been looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 5 by Famulus from Hertford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 31, 2009

Another enjoyable read from this author. I don't always care for romantic fiction, but I do like her exploration of disability and 'different-ness' in the romantic context. I particularly enjoy her portrayal of different world views, and how difficult it is for any of us to relate to those who don't share our own. This came over especially well in the characterisation of Marianne, and how the other three characters relate to her. Kier's ability to 'translate' the visual into things that Marianne could understand was fascinating. (Curiously, this also resonated well with my recent studies of perception, in a course I'm doing - pity I didn't read this last term!)

I can see what Nell-Lu means about the ending(s), though that didn't bother me so much. Overall, the plot was OK, but 'suspension of disbelief' was much in evidence - I felt the characterisation was much stronger,and more important. I was comfortable with the three voices (indeed, it might have been interesting to hear Garth's voice once in a while - maybe in gothic typeface?? ;-p )

Have pm'd mrbaggins1 and will send it on to him when I get his reply.

Journal Entry 6 by Famulus at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (9/1/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to mrbaggins1 this morning - enjoy

Journal Entry 7 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Thursday, September 17, 2009

Arrived today through the post together with two other books. I'm in real trouble with my reading! ZA had a postal strike which resulted in no books arriving for close on a month and now I'm inundated! Thanks for sharing. I'll get around to it ASAP

Journal Entry 8 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Romantic fiction is not really my scene but I loved this book mainly for the fact that Gillard really succeeded in describing the world of a blind-since-birth person in a way that I never even thought of. Strong and believable characters but, oh the ending, a little bit hard to believe that all the puzzle pieces fitted so nicely together for a live happily ever after conclusion.

Still a great read though

Thanks for sharing and I've contacted the next on the list to move it forward

Journal Entry 9 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/13/2009 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Posted today by surface mail to Tori58 in the US. I enclosed a little surprise in remembrance of Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Thanks for sharing. This is well worth reading

Journal Entry 10 by Tori58 on Monday, March 22, 2010

Wow, I had given up on this one! Evidently it was incorrectly delivered to one of my "snowbird" neighbors. I'll read it and get it on its way as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 11 by Tori58 at by mail, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/30/2010 UTC) at by mail, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Mailed today to the next reader.

I enjoyed this book tremendously - always a pleasure to read Linda Gillard

Journal Entry 12 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Safely arrived in a neat bookcrossing envelope. I saw Linda Gillard at the Edinburgh UnCon in 2009, so am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks to all for keeping the ray moving so I managed to receive it.

Journal Entry 13 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lovely story. The use of language to describe people and landscape was fabulous. I loved the use of music by Keir when describing the vastness of landscapes to Marianne.

I can see how the author was nominated for the Robin Jenkins Literary Award for this book, as the description of the Scottish environment really brings it to life.

While the ending was twee, the part of the book I really found unbelievable was how Marianne found the treehouse on her own. Actually, looking back on the characters and plot a lot of it should have been unbelievable (hollywood money, second sight, explosions, pirates, ginger goths). But it did hold together as a story, and one I greatly enjoyed :)

Thanks TheLostBook for starting this ray.

Journal Entry 14 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Thursday, April 22, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (4/23/2010 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

Posted via Royal Mail (large letter rate).

Journal Entry 15 by ETMadrid from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Thank you very much for sending it - it's now safely with me and will be read soon.

Journal Entry 16 by ETMadrid from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, May 10, 2010

This was much lighter reading than my usual. As it arrived in time for me to take it on holiday, it was perfect to read whilst relaxing and I really enjoyed it. I liked the way the author writes. I agree with Nell-Lu in that I didn't go a bundle on the different fonts and could almost have done without Louisa's take on what happens altogether.

Journal Entry 17 by ETMadrid at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, May 13, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (5/13/2010 UTC) at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom

I posted this off today.

Journal Entry 18 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, June 21, 2010

Arrived safe and sound today. I have a couple of other rings before it. But I will keep it moving. Love the pretty postcard!

Journal Entry 19 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 16, 2010

I cannot get into this book. So much so that I have sat on the bus - not reading - this week. Hate that! I'm going to let it continue on its journey. I already have the next person's address.

Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 20 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 26, 2010

Received this book in the mail today. I have two to read beforehand, but it won't take long!
Ruth

Journal Entry 21 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 12, 2010

This was a wonderful story from start to finish. The way Keir would describe things for Marianne was truly "touching", in every sense of the word. I'm glad I had the chance to experience this book. Sending on to next reader....

Journal Entry 22 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, September 06, 2010

I just received this book! Thanks for sharing. I will read it and get it moving again!

Journal Entry 23 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (3/30/2013 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

off to Erishkigal...happy travels, book!

Journal Entry 24 by tostle at ABC Book box (Already Book Crossed) in Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Released 10 mos ago (5/26/2013 UTC) at ABC Book box (Already Book Crossed) in Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is going into the ABC Bookbox. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 25 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, July 22, 2013

I am taking this out of the ABC book box.