corner corner Trouble in Mind (Crime Express)

Trouble in Mind (Crime Express)
by John Harvey | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 9/21/2009

status (set by Annimanni): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 21, 2009

Jack Kiley, a professional footballer turned private investigator, is hired to track down a soldier who has gone missing while on leave from Iraq. The soldier's mind is disturbed by what he has seen and done in the war, and he is armed. There are fears both for the man himself and for the safety of his estranged wife and two young children.

Kiley's search leads him to Nottingham, where he teams up with D.I. Charlie Resnick, who, somewhat ruefully, remembers Kiley from the one appearance he made at Meadow Lane, coming off the bench for Charlton Athletic to play against Notts County in the F.A. Cup.

Together they search the house where a soldier's wife and children have been living and find them gone, almost certainly taken against their will...the only question now, will they find them before it is too late?

(ex-library book)

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at By post, Surprise Rabck -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (11/4/2009 UTC) at By post, Surprise Rabck -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to someone who likes quick reads.

released as part of the ULTIMATE CHALLENGE
& the 2009 RABCK RELEASE CHALLENGE (#53)

Journal Entry 3 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thank you very much Plum-crazy, for sending me this quick read book as part of a gift package for being a winner in your "It's my birthday" surprise rabck. I love quick read books and so this was a nice surprise......BUT....that wasn't all that was inside the package.....
There was also a book from my wishlist, and also another quick read book and a really cute octopus postcard with a nice poem on it.
This was a great package to receive. Thank you.
Here is the link to the poem on the Octopus postcard:
Click here

Journal Entry 4 by wingchamonix44wing from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, January 11, 2010

Stuck indoors today due to yet more snow on top of snow from the last couple of weeks, I decided to read this book.
A quick and easy read. I enjoyed the story, but as the review below says, it lacks suspense. The end of the story could have turned out a lot worse, but I'm glad that it didn't! Are you now confused? Then you must read this book!

Book review found online:

TROUBLE IN MIND brings together Jack Kiley, a former footballer turned PI, based in London and DI Charlie Resnick, Harvey's most famous creation, who is still working in Nottingham.

Kiley is asked to look into a missing person's case: a soldier has not returned to his unit after a period of leave. The man loves his job but has lately been unable to sleep and acting very strangely. Kiley fears for the safety of the soldier's ex-wife and their children as the couple are not on good terms. His investigation leads him to the wife's home in Nottingham and to Charlie Resnick.

TROUBLE IN MIND is the one I was most looking forward to and I was slightly disappointed in that it is the shortest of the three, at 79 pages. The style is clipped with a poetic rhythm to it at times. The story is quite interesting though a bit lacking in tension. TROUBLE IN MIND is a pleasant taster that will leave you itching for January's full length COLD IN HAND, which also features Kiley and Resnick.

Journal Entry 5 by wingchamonix44wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, April 23, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/23/2010 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

I am sending this book to lukutuoli as a rabck, (along with three other books). I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 6 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I wonder if I'm brave enough to take part in book relays anymore, if I'll allways get FOUR books instead of ONE :D Thank you so much, chamonix44, anyway, fortunately they all seem to be quick read! This book is in perfect condition to be an ex-library book!

Journal Entry 7 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, January 23, 2011

This was the first book by Harvey for me and I certainly would like to read something else by this author, too. This was quick read and captivating! Let's see if I could find new readers for this tiny book at our local BC-meeting next week...

#18 for Reduce Mount TBR 2011 Challenge by Dove-i-Libri

Journal Entry 8 by wingem64wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Picked up the book at the local bc-meetup tonight. Have read Harvey's Resnick books and liked them. This definately looks like a quick read.

Journal Entry 9 by wingem64wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, August 18, 2011

It was a quick read as I suspected but I did enjoy reading it though. The ending was not exactly what I was expecting but somehow it fitted to the story. I have one of Harvey's Resnick books in my book shelf, maybe it is time to read it.

Journal Entry 10 by wingem64wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (4/13/2012 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Kirja jatkaa matkaansa kohti uusia seikkailuja postin matkassa.

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Thanks, a new author for me (never even heard of him before). And a nice, thin book too, which is always good :D

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 13, 2014

Neat little mystery, if a bit lacking in suspense. Wouldn't mind reading Harvey's full-length novels too.

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnnimanniwing at Village Bakery in Bang Tao Bay, Phuket Thailand on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (1/15/2014 UTC) at Village Bakery in Bang Tao Bay, Phuket Thailand

Happy reading!