corner corner All She Was Worth

All She Was Worth
by Miyuki Miyabe | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by chich of Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, July 23, 2009

status (set by grovalskii): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, July 23, 2009

This is definitely the best mystery I have read in a long time. It's actually a lot more than a mystery, as it reveals a lot about Japanese culture. Not only is the book well-plotted and very well written, it is also very absorbing. Once I started reading, I just couldn't put it down. Miyabe manages to take the mystery to the next level by offering great insight into Japanese life, through a very well-crafted cast of characters. This is an excellent read, recommended both to mystery lovers and those interested in the Japanese culture.

Amazon.com Review:
Recovering from a leg injury, a 43-year-old Tokyo police inspector named Shunsuke Honma realizes how out of touch he has become when a relative asks him to make some private inquiries into the disappearance of his fiancée. While he wasn't paying attention, it seems that everyone in the country but Honma has been caught up in a consumer feeding frenzy--going into heavy debt and declaring bankruptcy at a snowballing rate. This engrossing story of the search for happiness through shopping marks the first appearance in English of one of Japan's leading writers.

From Publishers Weekly:
The horror in this beautifully fashioned tale of stolen identity lies not in the cold-blooded crimes but in the motive? A desperate hunger for consumer goods. Shunsuke Honma, a widowed 43-year-old Tokyo police inspector with a 10-year-old son, is on disability leave. The boring cycle of idleness punctuated by painful physical therapy sessions comes to a halt when a nephew asks for Honma's help in finding his missing fiancee, whom he knows as Shoko Sekine. As Honma's search intensifies, he realizes the fiancee had actually assumed Sekine's identity and possibly killed her. For the American reader, the jewel in this enormously compelling novel is the portrait of working- and middle-class Japanese getting caught in a cycle of astronomical personal debt in order to enjoy the good life. Also eye-opening is Japan's elaborate registry system for keeping track of its citizenry. In order to become Shoko Sekine, the impostor had to perpetrate an ingeniously elaborate series of hoaxes and lies. Honma is tenacious, methodical, an attentive listener with a retentive memory and the ability to connect disparate bits of information. The trail takes him back through the real Sekine's history and into the life of the other woman, whose family ran afoul of vicious loan sharks. Miyabe drives her complex plot with spare prose, combining expert pacing and psychological nuance to ultimately haunting effect. (Feb.) "All She Was worth" was named Best Novel of the year and Best Mystery for 1992 in Japan.

Journal Entry 2 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Friday, October 23, 2009

Mailing order for this ray:
1) bilbi, France, EU shipping.
2) icila, France, can ship anywhere.
3) Bookworm-lady, Spain, EU shipping.
4) CanPou, Spain, can ship anywhere.
5) mafarrimond, UK, UK shipping.
6) ETMadrid, UK, UK or EU shipping.
7) Kerriou, UK, UK or EU shipping. ¤¤ Not responding to PMs ¤¤
8) dutch-book, The Netherlands, Netherlands shipping preferred but EU ok.
9) Gnoe, The Netherlands, EU shipping.
10) iiwi, The Netherlands, can ship anywhere
11) mysticcat, Austria, EU shipping. ¤¤ Not responding to PMs ¤¤
12) Llyren, Germany, can ship anywhere.
13) samulli, Germany, can ship anywhere. --> wants to be skipped
14) bookmaniac70, Bulgaria, EU shipping.
15) Elmindreda, Hungary, EU shipping.
16) BoekenTrol, The Netherlands, EU shipping.
17) shovelmonkey1, UK, EU shipping.
18) karen07814, UK, can ship anywhere.
19) Alienagr, Greece, can ship anywhere. not responding to pms
20) okyrhoe, Greece, can ship anywhere.
21) 727, Lithuania, EU shipping.
22) Vilda, Sweden, EU shipping.
23) vedranaster, Croatia, EU shipping.

24) grovalskii, Germany, can ship anywhere. ¤¤ current location ¤¤
25) katayoun, Iran, can ship anywhere.
26) uruviel, Mexico, US/South America shipping.
27) UnwrittenLibra, US, can ship anywhere.
28) Rrrcaron, US, US shipping.
29) iwillrejoice, US, US shipping.
30) JudySlump612, US, can ship anywhere.
31) Dancesports, Australia, Australia shipping preferred but int'l ok.
32) lmn60, Australia.

...you?

---------------------------------------
BookRay Recommendations:
• make a journal entry when you receive the book so everyone knows it has safely arrived
• try to read it within a month
• ask the next on the list for his/her address
• make a journal entry when finished, telling us what you thought - did you like it? Did you think it was well-written?
• wrap it up well and pass it on to the next participant

Please PM me in case of any problems/unforeseen delay. If you are experiencing an RBC (Reading Backlog Crisis) or no longer wish to read the book, let me know and I will move/remove you down/off the list.

Hint: Ask for the address of the next on the list before you have finished reading; sometimes it takes a while before you get a reply. Some people don't get PM's. You may want to look for an e-mail address on their profile, or leave an ISO message on the forum. If the person doesn't respond within 7-10 days (use your judgement), please PM the next person, and then me, so I can update the bookring list.

**Cheapest postage rate is fine**

Happy reading everyone!

Journal Entry 3 by chich at BOOKRAY, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/27/2009 UTC) at BOOKRAY, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here we go!

Book sent to bilbi today, enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbilbiwing from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Friday, October 30, 2009

Received today !

I'm looking forward to reading it !

Thanks for sharing !

\o/

Journal Entry 5 by wingbilbiwing from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A really sad, interesting story.

I learned a lot about Japanese society !

Thanks again for sharing.

Journal Entry 6 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, November 22, 2009

Received this week. Thanks a lot Bilbi for sending and Chich for sharing !

Journal Entry 7 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, December 12, 2009

Very interesting, about the japanese society and about the trash-credit too.
Thanks for sharing chich !

PMing Bookworm-lady.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I received it yesterday, and am quite intrigued about this book.
I am afraid I won't be able to read it right away, but I will do my best to pass it on as soon as possible.
Thanks a lot for sharing yet another book with us, Chich; and thanks for passing it on, Icila.
Merry Christmas everybody!
Eva

Journal Entry 9 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, August 08, 2010

Currently reading it, my sincere apologies to all of you who are waiting, and particularly to Chich...
Eva

Journal Entry 11 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, September 05, 2010

Well, this book was really a surprise, I enjoyed it immensely!
Japanese literature never ceases to amaze me!
It is quite terrifying what credit cards and debts can lead a person to do. I don't want to spoil it for you, but the whole concept is quite terrifying...
Very well written (and translated into English), though I must confess sometimes Japanese names got me a bit confused.
I really liked the boy, Makoto, and his relationship with this father and other adults. This makes a very interesting sub-plot.
Thanks for sharing, Chich; this will be soon on its way to CanPou; I already have her address.

Journal Entry 12 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, September 09, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (9/9/2010 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent yesterday by mail to CanPou... Sorry that I kept it so long, and I am glad it is traveling towards new readers...
Eva

Journal Entry 13 by wingCanPouwing at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Sunday, September 12, 2010

Just received, thank you Eva! I'll read it asap and pass it on!

Journal Entry 14 by wingCanPouwing at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Saturday, October 16, 2010

I really enjoyed this book. A good suspense and a scary picture of Japan's modern society... not too far from ours.

Journal Entry 15 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The book has arrived safely. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 16 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, November 27, 2010

I really enjoyed this. A different angle into Japenese culture from the books I have previously read. A lot of similarity to ours with credit cards and the way debts can so easily build up.

Journal Entry 17 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/1/2010 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

Posted on! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by ETMadrid at London , Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 08, 2010

It's here - thank you!

Journal Entry 19 by ETMadrid at London , Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 29, 2010

This is the kind of book I wouldn't normally read, but found I enjoyed. Occasionally I like to renew my connection with Japan (I used to live there). The last Japanese film I saw also featured body parts - is this a trend I wonder?! I finished it whilst on holiday. Had I been writing it I don't think I'd have finished it quite at the point that this author did, but until then, I found it an interesting yarn.

31/12/10 Just adding that in the Japan that I knew I don't think anyone had credit cards. They didn't even have debit cards. My colleagues were all paid in cash at the end of each month. To withdraw money, I needed to insert my bank book into my bank's machine. And I'm not talking about an era back in the dark ages either!

Journal Entry 20 by ETMadrid at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, February 04, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/4/2011 UTC) at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom

At last I got to the Post Office (it was a close run thing). I am so sorry for not having posted this before - things have been more than a little hectic since the New Year.

I skipped kerriou as I had no reply from them.

Journal Entry 21 by wingdutch-bookwing at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, March 03, 2011

The book arrived today. I'm looking forward to this book. I have high expectations of it.

Journal Entry 22 by wingdutch-bookwing at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, April 15, 2011

I can finally say I've finished this book. Now, I'm not that good in expressing my thoughts, but I did like the book a lot. I've learned a lot about Japanese culture (what a lot of differences between Japan and 'the West'.) The technical aspect in the book didn't bother me at all, it was part of the story. It really made you understand the book. It's in a written in a very cool, rational way and that is also the way I read the book. I guess, that's part of the Japanese culture, or rather their take of life. I've appreciated it.
I've already received Gnoe's adress, so the book will be on it's way either tomorrow or Monday.

Journal Entry 23 by wingdutch-bookwing at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 18, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (4/18/2011 UTC) at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Traveling to Gnoe, next on the ringbooklist.

Journal Entry 24 by Gnoe at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Received the book last night and will be starting it after I've finished my current read by Kenzaburo Oë. I'm pretty curious about this book by Miyuki Miyabe!

*** APOLOGIES! ***
I finished reading All She Was Worth pretty quick after I'd received it and was supposed to deliver it to iiwi the week before last... but fell ill. I'm pretty much housebound but will try to get the book on its way again a.s.a.p.! Just to let you know I haven't forgotten ;)

Journal Entry 25 by Gnoe at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, June 20, 2011

My reading comfort zone is literary fiction. But every once in a while I'm in the mood for some suspense. All She Was Worth met my needs perfectly and dropped into the mailbox at exactly the right time!

It's a real page turner and I would love to read more about Inspector Honma; an imperfect but likeable human being to whom I could really relate. Only the background on the credit-based economy & money bubble crash made me zone out every once in a while. Miyuki Miyabe does a good job explaining but I just wasn’t that interested.

I'm using more words to say the same thing on my blog Graasland. ;)

A big THANK YOU to chic for giving me the opportunity to read this and discover a new author! PS take a good look at the pic ;)

Journal Entry 26 by Gnoe at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, June 20, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/20/2011 UTC) at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

I would like to apologise *again* for hanging on to the book all this time. I feel really bad about it and I'm glad it's on its way again today.

Journal Entry 27 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, June 26, 2011

received a couple of days ago.

Journal Entry 28 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, August 14, 2011

My heart, as a former economy student, rejoyced (can a heart do that? Well anyway :) ) when reading this book. I was allready taken by The thousand autums of Jacob de Zoet, what in it's essence is a book about an accountant, and this is a book about the credit system. I read the book on the part of the world furthest away of any bankingcentre, the high plane of Norway, in between several lakes (see picture), but still, I was happy having my mastercard, otherwise I couldn't pay anything at all. Having said that I still am not comfortable paying with credit-card. We use debit cards normally, and it feels strange to mastercard (Yes, I have used this as a verb).
The book let you see how womanunfriendly the Japanese society (still?) is. Women are to be submissive, not an individual in the society, only an own personality in a family with a man and children.

I will contact mysticcat.

Journal Entry 29 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, August 29, 2011

mysticcat didn't react on my mails, so I will sent the book to Llyren today.

Journal Entry 30 by Llyren at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Friday, September 02, 2011

Arrived today and will be read soon, thank you!

Journal Entry 31 by Llyren at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

To be honest, I did not finish the book. I broke it of at around a third. Not because it was bad, but I simply was not very excited about it, it couldn't captivate me.
Someone more interested in the genre will see that probably different.

samulli wants to be skipped so I've asked the next one on the list.

Journal Entry 32 by Llyren at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (10/19/2011 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

Is on its way.

Journal Entry 33 by bookmaniac70 at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Llyren, thank for sending!

Journal Entry 34 by bookmaniac70 at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Nice and quick reading, good plot. Gives an unusual look into Japanese society. It must have touched some really sensitive spots, as it was chosen "the best mystery"and "the best novel of the year". I was a bit disappointed with the rushed ending.

Journal Entry 35 by bookmaniac70 at Budapest, Pest Hungary on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (11/2/2011 UTC) at Budapest, Pest Hungary

Sent by mail to Elmindreda.

Journal Entry 36 by Elmindreda at Budapest, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Hungary on Thursday, November 10, 2011

The book arrived safely and I already started reading! I will try to finish soon, but I don't want to make any promises. It's interesting so far.

Journal Entry 37 by Elmindreda at Budapest, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Hungary on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Definitely an intense little book. I read it really fast, when I had time as I'm fascinated with these kind of mystery stories and it was well enough written. Altough sometimes it just seemed like the author's personal rant about the horrible effects of consumer society put into different narratives... But all is forgiven, since I enjoyed most of the characters and had no problems with the ending.

I sent the book on to the next in line!
Happy reading!
Thank you for including me in this ray! :)

Journal Entry 38 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

This book arrived safely in my mail box today. Thank you for sharing, chich, and for sending, Elmindreda!
Look forward to read it :-)

Journal Entry 39 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, December 25, 2011

When I (finally) finished this book today, I felt a bit guilty. I thought that I had had it for ages.... Looking down the journal entries, I saw that it has been here 'only' a bit over a month. So... things are not that bad.

Review:
I liked this book. Not because I think it was such a great thriller, but because of other things.
First of all I loved the insight in the Japanese society. How people live, how things are organised. That world is so different from mine (and therefor so intriguing), that any description of more or less normal Japanese living is welcome.
Secondly, I liked the way the book is written. Detective is more the descripton I'd give to the contents of this book, not thriller. It is more about solving a puzzle, why and how a young woman disappears, than about the actual deed(s) of disappearing, murder (?), deceipt etc.
What I did not like is that the end does not bring clarity. When a woman is found, the story ends. What I had hoped for (and more or less expected from the way the book was written), is that the object of the search would get some speaking time also. At least to find out why, apart from the reasons already mentioned in the book, that are valid in themselves, but these are reasons outside the person.
To act the way she did, there also has to be something inside her, that allowed her to act the way she did. And that's the part I missed at the end.

One other remark that I wanted to make: I did not really understand the title. Usually there's a tie to the contents of the book, but here I could not rally grab it. Maybe it is the translation (sometimes translated titles are not so good), or maybe I am looking in the wrong direction. It is just that I can't connect the (my) meaning of the title to the contents of the book.

Journal Entry 40 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Monday, January 02, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/3/2012 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

This RAY book is now on its way to the UK, to shovelmonkey1. Enjoy the read!

Journal Entry 41 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, January 09, 2012

Arrived safe and well in the UK today. Might start reading this on the commute home tonight as I am nearly at the end of my present book (although i do have another ray waiting at home which arrived first so ssssh).
Thanks to everyone who has kept this book moving in my direction!

Journal Entry 42 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, January 23, 2012

This is not my first foray into the world of Japanese literature (translated, not read in Japanese!) but it is probably the book i've found least engaging so far which is a shame as I was looking forward to it. It didn't really hold my attention and I know that a lot of detail had to be given to explain the background to identity theft and debt but it just bogged down the pace of the story for me. Thanks for letting me participate in this book ray all the same though!

Journal Entry 43 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, January 23, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/23/2012 UTC) at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

Now travelling on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 44 by wingkaren07814wing at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Over to me

Journal Entry 45 by wingBookAmblerwing at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, April 29, 2012

I'm just popping in to say hello because this book was in a bag of charity sale books bought for me by Karen07814 on 18th February. Then given to me a couple of weeks ago... but only sorted through yesterday! I wonder how long she has spent looking for it ;)

I was hoping to see her today but she didn't make it to The Blue Egg meet, so I will arrange to get the book back to her asap.

If I had time to read the book I would... but I shall have to pass despite the interesting reviews!

Journal Entry 46 by wingkaren07814wing at Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, June 22, 2012

I have it back but as yet no address to send it on to

Journal Entry 47 by wingkaren07814wing at Acharnai, Attica Greece on Sunday, August 05, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/5/2012 UTC) at Acharnai, Attica Greece

Over to you for a free read

Bookcrossing and Elizabeth Haynes and Tony Grey and Martyn Waites (Tania Carver) and Mark Billingham come to Colchester September 29th, full details here...

with huge apologies for the delay, this one is now on it's way to Greece

Journal Entry 48 by okyrhoe at Athens, Attica Greece on Monday, August 13, 2012

Arrived in Athens. Thanks chich for including me in the ray, and karen07814 for posting the book to me!

Journal Entry 49 by okyrhoe at bookray, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 20, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/20/2012 UTC) at bookray, By Post -- Controlled Releases

A quick but interesting read.
Another Japanese novel with "orphaned" children in the subplot...seems it is an enduring theme. The missing woman remains a mystery, to the very end. Will be looking out for other works by this author!

On its way by post now to 727. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 50 by wing727wing at Kaunas, Kauno Lithuania on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I can never say no to Japanese writers. And thank you, okyrhoe, for a beautiful themed postcard. I have two other bookrays/rings before this one, but I'll do my best not to stall.

Journal Entry 51 by wing727wing at Kaunas, Kauno Lithuania on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (12/19/2012 UTC) at Kaunas, Kauno Lithuania

Sent to the next reader in Croatia.

Journal Entry 52 by wingvedranasterwing at Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Arrived this morning. Currently finishing one bookray; this one is next in line.
Thanks for sharing and sending! :)

Journal Entry 53 by wingvedranasterwing at Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia on Sunday, January 20, 2013

The book was okay, but for the most part it wasn't too gripping, as far as mysteries go. I felt that some conclusions just came to quickly, without much explanation as to what prompted them. Also, some of the language just didn't say "Japanese" to me, it said "American", which took away from the book. I have a sneaking suspicion that this book probably feels a lot different when read in original, but alas, I don't speak Japanese! ;)

I did enjoy it though, and it was nice to get a glimpse into Japanese customs and society, which do differ from ours quite a bit at times, but are still so similar when it comes to modern consumerism. I wouldn't mind reading more from this author.

I've contacted the next in line for their address.

Journal Entry 54 by wingvedranasterwing at Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (1/25/2013 UTC) at Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia

The book is now in the care of the Post Office, on its way to grovalskii in Germany.
Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 55 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Friday, February 08, 2013

the book just arrived today. I look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 56 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pretty good read, though I thought some of clues and conclusions were a bit out there. I enjoyed getting to know more about the Japanese culture, though.

Journal Entry 57 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'm having a hard time getting ahold of the next readers. Katayoun wants to be skipped, uruviel has not answered yet, but they have a note on their profile that indicates that they will probably also want to be skipped, and UnwrittenLibra has not responded yet. I will give UwrittenLibra a couple more days before I contact the next person.

Journal Entry 58 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (3/19/2013 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

The book is travelling again! Off to Texas to UnwrittenLibra.