corner corner High Tea

High Tea
by Sandra Harper | Women's Fiction
Registered by loveamystery of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 7/20/2009

status (set by smurphie): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Monday, July 20, 2009

Amazon Editorial Review:
Magpie's Tearoom is a cozy haven in bustling L.A. -- a place for luncheons, baby showers, or simply hanging out. Its owner, British expat Margaret Moore, relishes tradition...but between a frustrated chef preoccupied with her neglectful producer girlfriend and the tearoom's waitstaff -- a talented but desperate TV star who hasn't acted since Detective Buck Love went off the air, and a twenty-something ingénue who'll do anything to get the part -- her grandmother's scones begin to feel irrelevant.

When the critic from Tea Talk announces she is crossing the pond to visit, Margaret attempts to marshal her staff. But, being of the thespian variety, they all want to be doing something else. Yet despite the high personal drama at hand, the customers still demand their perfectly steeped tea and cucumber sandwiches....

As Margaret battles pilot season and produce-coordinator malfunctions, she begins to lose her will to live...in L.A.

But can her L.A. neighborhood do without her tearoom? In this delightful debut novel with delicious recipes thrown in, Sandra Harper creates a hilarious world where Earl Grey and watercress make a meal, buttering the scones may get you scolded, and nobody does eggs anymore. Warm up the kettle and pull up a seat -- you don't want to miss High Tea!

I am saving this for a bookbox of mine.

Journal Entry 2 by loveamystery at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Monday, January 17, 2011

I almost abandonded this book a quarter of the way in, but it got much better and I can actually say I enjoyed it. Serious subjects were dealt with in a lighthearted way, just as a cup of tea will make all seem better.

Journal Entry 3 by loveamystery at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, June 11, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (6/10/2011 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

This book is now on its way to Annimanni, who chose it out of the Coffee, Tea and Dessert VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, August 12, 2011

Oh my, what a treat it was to open your parcel today, loveamystery! Do you think you may have gone a bit overboard now? :D Not that I mind, though! Extra books, such cute napkins and bookmarks and some lovely tea to boot. You are a star! Thank you thank you thank you! Or kiitos, as we say in Finnish.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 05, 2012

A quick, easy read and enjoyable enough - although I'm afraid it won't leave a lasting impression in me :) I didn't really take to any of the characters, though, and - having lived in Britain and being very fond of both London and public transport - I was a bit peeved by the attitudes portrayed by the mother-daughter duo on their visit to the UK. But then again, England can be a culture shock to your stereotypical American, I guess ;) (No offense meant to anyone!)

Next off to smurphie, who picked this from her own chicklit/romance VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by smurphie at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 23, 2012

Arrived this morning. Thanks so much.

Journal Entry 7 by smurphie at Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, October 12, 2012

Finished this book recently it was a light read not to taxing.

Reserving this for a forthcoming VBB