corner corner Inheritance Of Loss

Inheritance Of Loss
by Kiran Desai | Literature & Fiction
Registered by volaciousr of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

status (set by booksforliving): available

Journal Entry 1 by volaciousr from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Desai's second novel is set in the nineteen-eighties in the northeast corner of India, where the borders of several Himalayan states—Bhutan and Sikkim, Nepal and Tibet—meet. At the head of the novel's teeming cast is Jemubhai Patel, a Cambridge-educated judge who has retired from serving a country he finds "too messy for justice." He lives in an isolated house with his cook, his orphaned seventeen-year-old granddaughter, and a red setter, whose company Jemubhai prefers to that of human beings. The tranquillity of his existence is contrasted with the life of the cook's son, working in grimy Manhattan restaurants, and with his granddaughter's affair with a Nepali tutor involved in an insurgency that irrevocably alters Jemubhai's life. Briskly paced and sumptuously written, the novel ponders questions of nationhood, modernity, and class, in ways both moving and revelatory.
Copyright © 2006 The New Yorker

Journal Entry 2 by volaciousr at Victoria Drive at Napier Street in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, July 18, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (7/18/2009 UTC) at Victoria Drive at Napier Street in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Left on a stone wall.

Journal Entry 3 by mountainsloth from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Found it by my house. The discovery made my day.

CAUGHT IN VANCOUVER BRITISH COLUMBIA CANADA

Journal Entry 4 by booksforliving at -- Wild Released somewhere in British Columbia --, British Columbia Canada on Friday, July 22, 2011

I hadn't read anything quite like this before, and due to busyness and other required reading it took me awhile to get through it. It taught me some things about India, and about immigrating, and life from the perspective of a different culture. I found it interesting, and connected with the characters, but found it rather bleak overall. I'm glad to have experienced it; I had heard of it and don't know if I'd have read it if I hadn't found it on a pillar in the campground at Loop Brook near the Roger's Pass, B.C. I love this concept of traveling books!