corner corner One Foot Wrong

One Foot Wrong
by Sofie Laguna | Literature & Fiction
Registered by tqd of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 7/14/2009

status (set by DubaiReader): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Deeply disturbing plot, but amazingly written and a compelling read. It's from the point of view of a young girl, Hester who obviously has serious mental issues (schizophrenia, at an educated guess) and who is abused by her parents who also have mental issues of their own. (Not to mention an unhealthy religiosity.) So, a very unhappy and disturbing topic. But the imagery was marvellous, as our protagonist seems stuck in this child-like state, talking to her friends tree, spoon, handle, etc; drawing the most amazingly described pictures; linked by invisible ropes to her friends, etc.

It also got me thinking about nature vs. nurture, an old quandary I'm very familiar with from my years as an undergraduate Psychology student. What about our behaviour and personality is biological and genetic, and what is learnt? (It is usually, of course, a bit of both. I used to lean on the side of learned behaviour, but after having kids and seeing their ingrained personalities from the start, I'm rather leaning towards genetics.) Hester is a complex case: is she mad because of her abusive upbringing, or is she mad regardless? (And, believe me, she is mad.)

In some ways, it reminded me of fellow Australian Nick Cave's And The Ass Saw the Angel, which I read many years ago. I remember disliking the book intensely at the time (I found out later it was supposed to be funny, but I missed the humour), but the crazy imagery and the dysfunctional family triggered my memories and feelings of similarity.

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

Towards the end, I was worried about where the book was going: I could see no happy end in sight, without sacrificing some semblance of reality. I almost put the book down because I didn't want to go where I thought it was going, but took a deep breath and ploughed on regardless. And I'm glad I did. The ending did sacrifice some reality, but it was a good place to end, and I'll just ignore my niggling quibbles of "yeah, that's never going to happen".

Journal Entry 2 by tqd at Balmain, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (7/14/2009 UTC) at Balmain, New South Wales Australia

Passing on to jubby today at lunch.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Received from the ever generous TQD - now I have to read it quickly to make it to the discussion on ANZLITLOVERS this month!

Thank you again TQD.

Journal Entry 4 by jubby at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 24, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/24/2010 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Now, I did read this book, but sadly not in time for the discussion for the online reading group.

Unlike others in the group, I didn't feel that the story was loosely based on reality, with the main character having any definable condition (like Downs' Syndrome or mental retardation), but agreed with the majority that it was written very much in the style of Angela Carter and her darkly fractured fairy tales.

Disturbing, different and a real page turner, I hope that Catsalive enjoys this book as much as I did - I'm sending this to her as part of the 'Southern Cross Book Exchange' (from www.bookobsessed.com).

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 5 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Friday, April 30, 2010

Thanks jubby. I hope I can bring myself to read it - it sounds interesting but difficult reading - do I dare?

Journal Entry 6 by wingcatsalivewing at Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Friday, October 03, 2014

Very strange. I can't say I enjoyed it much but it was certainly different. It is a bit like a Grimm, grim fairy tale.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcatsalivewing at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (10/4/2014 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sent to DubaiReader for the Wish List Tag Game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Saturday, January 03, 2015

This looks an interesting read, I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks to Catsalive for Tagging me with it and to everyone who has previously passed it on.
Happy New Year :)