corner corner *ring* Life on the Refrigerator Door

*ring* Life on the Refrigerator Door
by Alice Kuipers | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Laui of Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on 7/11/2009

status (set by mummafour): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, July 11, 2009

Claire and her mom share the same house but they live on different planets.. While Claire's world revolves around school, shopping and her new boyfriend, Mom is always busy with work, work and more work. But they do have one thing in common: the kitchen fridge. It's where they leave little notes for each other. It's how they keep in touch. Then one day Claire comes home to a not that's different form all the others. And life is never the same again.

'Moving and emotional, this is a fab story told in the most original way' Mizz
'Heartbreaking and heartwarming' Shout
'Guaranteed to make you cry' Sunday Express
'It made me cry' Geri Halliwell
'Original and touching' Joanne Harris
'An amazing debut novel that is moving, heartwarming, funny and inspirational' Bookseller
'An understated but extremely moving portrait of family relationships' Publishing News
'Get your tissues ready, it's a real tear-jerker' TV Hits
'Sometimes, reading between the lines can tell us more than words themselves...' Glamour magazine
'Sweet' Financial Times

My opinion: I picked it up in the bookshop and had a hard time putting it down again. I would have finished it right then and there, if I had the chance. It's a good book, a refreshing way to write a book. It's very gripping and though I planned to finish the BC books currently filling my house, I just had to read it. I dropped everything and finished it in one sitting.
It's a book written for teenage girls, you can sometimes tell from the way certain things are described, but in all honesty: I wasn't bothered at all. Usually teenage-stuff is a little too annoying for me (maybe because I'm ashamed for being just like that myself once, not so very long ago).
I usually have reserves with books about sick people and the way they cope (I won't spoil the details in the very first JE, promise!). This book is quite real and not whiny or irritating, so I highly recommend this, it's a very good read!

Journal Entry 2 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, July 11, 2009

For an international bookring, surface mail is fine:
AnnevO (NL, int'l shipping)
Fifna (NL, EU shipping)
antonettes (NL, EU shipping)
Uniflame (NL, EU shipping)
Vekiki (UK, EU shipping)
Annimanni (FI, int'l shipping)
peggypostcard (AU, AU shipping)
mummafour (AU, int'l shipping) <-- now here!
annenz (NZ, int'l shipping)
amidabutsu (CA, ship North America)
lauraloo29 (CA, int'l shipping)
kobie03 (CA, int'l shipping)
vzfamily (US, US shipping)
PaulsBooks (US, int'l shipping)
...

Back to me

Some rules:
1. When you receive the book please ensure that you journal it.
2. Read it as soon as you can, if you take longer than 1 month, please keep us all informed by posting a new entry or sending me a PM to inform me (either way I get an e-mail and I know what's up with the book).
3. When you've finished reading it, make a journal entry and contact the next person on the list.
4. If no response is received after two attempts, contact me and the next person on the list.
5. When you send the book on please make a journal entry or release note.
6. Please feel free to leave your own 'fridge note' (post-it) somewhere in the book!

Journal Entry 3 by Laui at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/11/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed out to the first participant. Have a safe trip little book!

(For those interested: it's a relatively light book, only 225 grams)

Journal Entry 4 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

This book was in my letterbox when I arrived home. I've already started reading...

Journal Entry 5 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, August 17, 2009

This is a very special book, both in style and in story. I liked it a lot.

Journal Entry 6 by AnnevO at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, August 17, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/17/2009 UTC) at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

This book is on its way to the next reader; I just dropped it of at the post office.

Journal Entry 7 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Arrived safely, thanks AnnevO! It's next in line after my current read.

Journal Entry 8 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, August 21, 2009

Definitely a book with a difference! I quite enjoyed this, it was alsoa quick read. I do think, though, that it is the style that makes this book, and maybe that is the sole intention. If this story had been brought in any other manner, it would have been a fairly standard story about this kind of subject. But the style certainly makes it original: a lot can be said in a few short notes.
Thank you for sharing, Laui. I will PM antonettes.

Journal Entry 9 by wingFifnawing at Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, August 24, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/24/2009 UTC) at Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands

On its wat to antonettes!

Journal Entry 10 by antonettes from Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, August 25, 2009

received in the mail today. thanks for sending fifna!

Journal Entry 11 by antonettes from Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What an amazing book! It left me speechless after finishing it. I started it last night and when I got home from work today all I wanted to do was finish it. The way it was written really appeals to me, it suits the story well. Thanks Laui for offering this bookring!

**EDIT 06/09** the book has been mailed out to Uniflame yesterday. Enjoy reading!

Journal Entry 12 by Uniflame from Nijmegen, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, September 07, 2009

The book was waiting for me when I got home after spending a few days at my boyfriends place. I read it in one sitting. Really enjoyed it. I contacted the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 13 by wingVekikiwing from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, September 19, 2009

very intrigued to read this - I have one ahead of it so shouldnt be too long

Journal Entry 14 by wingVekikiwing at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/7/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

A really sweet, easy to read story - and wonderfully told through notes. Throughly enjoyede

Posted onto the next in line for this bookray

Journal Entry 15 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, October 12, 2009

The book's in Helsinki, thanks Vekiki! I have a couple of other ring books to finish before this but it shouldn't take too long...

Journal Entry 16 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, October 19, 2009

Wow, this really was a super-quick read! Maybe too quick in a way - I had difficulties getting involved with the characters and really symphatising with them because I just raced through the notes and didn't pause to ponder over them (I think it's due to the writing style). The ending was touching though!

I've always been very close to my mother and it's hard for me to imagine having lived such separate lives and not really communicating with her while living under the same roof. I'm sure it happens, however, and all too often for that matter.

Journal Entry 17 by wingAnnimanniwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, October 19, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/20/2009 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

The book's on its way to peggypostcard in Australia. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 18 by peggypostcard from Glen Iris, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The book is safely at my house for now! I started glancing through it while waiting for the computer to boot up and ended up reading the first section - so I don't think it will take long to finish. Thanks Annimanni for posting.

Update - I finished reading this the day it arrived! It is surprising how much detail you can glean about the characters from their brief notes, though like Annimanni said above, I tended to rush through them and not ponder over them individually. The ending brought a tear to my eye.

I've contacted Mummafour to confirm the postal address that she has on her profile, and will send the book on after I've received a response.

Journal Entry 19 by peggypostcard at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, December 14, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (12/14/2009 UTC) at Sydney, New South Wales Australia

Posting on to mummafour this afternoon. Safe travelling!

Journal Entry 20 by mummafour from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Thank You ! I picked this up from the post office Yesterday. I will start on it tonight.