corner corner The Cone Gatherers

The Cone Gatherers
by Robin Jenkins | History
Registered by wingkaren07814wing of Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, July 09, 2009

status (set by Beqi): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingkaren07814wing from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, July 09, 2009

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a
whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with one another and
the world at large. I hope that you will write a journal entry letting me
know that the book has been found, and that you'll stick around a bit and get
to know Bookcrossing. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on
to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like
you did. And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me,
karen07814, as your referring member. Happy reading!

Painting by numbers and masterpiece, Archer and Jenkins

Bookray for this one is as follows:

TheLostBook UK post UK (int'l if necessary)
KiwiinEngland UK post UK/EU
Arturogrande UK post int'l <----book is here
WickedWordz in US post US

Journal Entry 2 by wingkaren07814wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, July 12, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (7/13/2009 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

over to you

Journal Entry 3 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Gotcha! This book has just arrived. I'm looking forward to it as I recently "discovered" Robin Jenkins by reading The Changeling - a small and un-prepossessing book that was one of the best I've read this year. Many thanks karen07814 for sharing.

Journal Entry 4 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 17, 2009

Another fascinating little novel from Jenkins. He's an economical writer, squeezing a lot into his 180 pages. The Cone-gatherers is tightly plotted, beautifully characterised and possesses a beauty both in its use of symbolism and its descriptions of the natural world. The backdrop is the distant Second World War, against which the lifestyles and attitudes of the characters are precarious.

Jenkins is very good at shades of grey and at deliniating motivations. He unpicks the reasons for his characters' actions so delicately that it's easy to not notice his mastery.

I'll be looking for the rest of Jenkins's novels next. This one will travel on to KiwiinEngland (in Dublin) tomorrow. Thanks, karen07814!

Journal Entry 5 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Safely arrived in Dublin, thanks Karen07814 for starting the ray and TheLostBook for posting it on (and the postcard). No thanks to Royal Mail and An Post for taking 9 days to get a the book from Scotland to Ireland.

Journal Entry 6 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, August 22, 2009

I loved the way the landscape was described so well you could see the insects and smell the trees. The characters were heading towards an ending that will stay in my mind long after I closed the back cover.

It was fascinating to see the role of class within the claustrophobic atmosphere of the small village and house.

Thank you for starting this ray karen07814

Journal Entry 7 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Clapham, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, August 22, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (8/22/2009 UTC) at Clapham, Greater London United Kingdom

Posted via Royal Mail (large letter rate).

Journal Entry 8 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, August 24, 2009

Thank you. I've got a couple of ring books ahead of it, but I'll try not to hold it up.

Journal Entry 9 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, September 25, 2009

This was one of the best books I've read this year, in spite of the rather old-fashioned prose style. The sense of place was fabulously well drawn - as Kiwiinengland said, you could smell the trees.
It is a short book, but there is so much said in so few pages. The war is very distant for the cone gathering brothers working on a remote Scottish estate, but the spectre of fascism is symbolised in their relationships to tthe lady of the manor, who believes herself to be a Christian but treats the men appallingly, and the increasingly unhinged gamekeeper, Duror.
I would suggest that the brilliant foreword to the book is read afterwards, so as not to give anything away.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful book. I'm still waiting for an address from WickedWordz before passing it on.

Journal Entry 10 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I'm sending this to Cinderess as part of the Surprise Bookring.

Journal Entry 11 by Cinderess on Friday, May 21, 2010

This looks like a good read, thanks very much!

Journal Entry 12 by Cinderess at A RABCK!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 08, 2010

Too determinedly grim to be an enjoyable read. An obvious metaphor is used to describe Callum; clumsy and accident prone on the ground while graceful and fearless high in trees...

Journal Entry 13 by Cinderess at The Duke's Cut (previously Rosie O'Grady's) in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 26, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (8/26/2010 UTC) at The Duke's Cut (previously Rosie O'Grady's) in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Taking to the mini-meet tonight :-)

Journal Entry 14 by Beqi at Daventry, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 28, 2010

Picked up at the mini-meet at The Duke's Cut on Thursday night. Looks good, so onto TBR.

Journal Entry 15 by Beqi at The Rock Hotel in Town Area, n/a Gibraltar on Saturday, March 12, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/20/2011 UTC) at The Rock Hotel in Town Area, n/a Gibraltar

Taking a few books along to add to the bookshelf at The Rock Hotel in Gibraltar. The bookshelf can be found to the right of the reception desk :-)